Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #29
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
More issues...

I had issues with my DSS axles, and had to pull the rear suspension apart again.

The delrin bushed toe arm is just as firm as the day I put it in.
the trailing arms are a different story.

They are worn out.

http://jeffreygoff.com/worn%20bushing.mp4
(right click and save)

I have more of the delrin bushings I made left, I'm going to remove the coil spring and put a set in to make sure there is not any binding, and hopefully use them.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #30
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Bush timing....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #31
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

The only "rubber bushing" that is left on the car is the one in the lower control arm.
polyurethane bushings will rotate all the way around even when tightened, which is the 2nd reason to replace them, with the first being the firmer durometer of materials (less squish).

also, the alignment dude loosened everything up and tightened it down when he aligned it.

one thing I'm not sure of is that the cradle bushings I replaced were way too long and did not fit. my car was an early one (2700's). I'm wondering if there was a change in the cradles design or suspension geometry during production.

here is a video of a bushing.
explain to me the need to time this?

http://jeffreygoff.com/delrin%20bushing.mp4
(right click and save)

also - NICE ZL1

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock

Last edited by nighttowl; 02-03-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #32
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I have full BMR stuff under the back of mine and no axle hop. It will go to the right when I'm spinning but every other car I've had does that too because of torque and crown of the road.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #33
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Replacing the poly bushings with delrin in the trailing arms really firmed up the suspension. It handles much better now, it is almost confidence inspiring.

I'm going to look into making delrin bushings form the front lower control arms next.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 02-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #34
gofastwclass
Three pedals

Drives: lots of fuel injected V8 Chevys
How is the noise and / or vibration from the back of the car with the Delrin bushings you made?
gofastwclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #35
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Replacing the poly bushings with delrin in the trailing arms really firmed up the suspension. It handles much better now, it is almost confidence inspiring.

I'm going to look into making delrin bushings form the front lower control arms next.
It's the front radius rod bushings that need upgrading, the front LCAs are pretty good.
I've done delrin bushings for a couple customers that bought some of my control arms, and have a set in my car, I like it better than the poly bushings. My TransAm has rod ends in the suspension components, so this one is a Cadillac in comparison, lol, even with the aluminum subframe bushings.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #36
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
How is the noise and / or vibration from the back of the car with the Delrin bushings you made?
There is not a noticeable difference.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #37
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Those rear sub-frame bushes will be more effective with 3mm of precompression on them. If you are motivated, you could remove the ferules one at a time and cut them down without altering the alignment.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #38
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Those rear sub-frame bushes will be more effective with 3mm of precompression on them. If you are motivated, you could remove the ferules one at a time and cut them down without altering the alignment.
Is this what you did? there is some compression, but only about 1mm typ.

The back end feels great now, but the front feels sloppy still. I hear a clunk on quick turns sometimes, im wondering if the pillowball mount at the top of the strut is bad. everything is tight, checked 3 times, and inspected for movement.

I read somewhere that there was problems with these cars and the top strut mount wearing out prematurely.
it did not make clunk sounds in the front until I put on the 4 point strut tower brace.
I was also thinking BMR's mounting method using the 4 bolts thru the top of the strut tower was allowing the strut to move more, since is sits in a pocket in the towers, and is technically spaced down due to this. the top of the strut is rubber, but it appeared to me that it did not absorb the bolts fully into the rubber material.

I was thinking about taking the brace off to see if the noise goes away.

the front is next on my list.
delrin radius rod bushings incoming!

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 02-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #39
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Is this what you did? there is some compression, but only about 1mm typ.

The back end feels great now, but the front feels sloppy still. I hear a clunk on quick turns sometimes, im wondering if the pillowball mount at the top of the strut is bad. everything is tight, checked 3 times, and inspected for movement.

I read somewhere that there was problems with these cars and the top strut mount wearing out prematurely.
it did not make clunk sounds in the front until I put on the 4 point strut tower brace.
I was also thinking BMR's mounting method using the 4 bolts thru the top of the strut tower was allowing the strut to move more, since is sits in a pocket in the towers, and is technically spaced down due to this. the top of the strut is rubber, but it appeared to me that it did not absorb the bolts fully into the rubber material.

I was thinking about taking the brace off to see if the noise goes away.

the front is next on my list.
delrin radius rod bushings incoming!

I have some experience with suspension. Based on the durometer of the BMR sub-frame bushing, a 3mm precompression would be in order.

The OE strut mounts are quite robust. I have not seen one worn out.

Eliminating a noise source when chasing a noise is never a bad idea. Give it a shot.

Why not use the Z/28 radius arm with the Delrin insert from the factory?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #40
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Why not use the Z/28 radius arm with the Delrin insert from the factory?

I may just do this.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock