Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Marchino

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
HELP: Started the engine with no air filter and air mass sensor, strange rustle....

Hello,

I had to remove the air filter case together with the air mass sensor which is attached to it on the tubular part (you just need to unplug some wires going into it and that's it).
To have fun I started the engine to hear the noise of the engine without air filter on. Well the engine did not make a huge noise because it missed the air mass sensor and in fact it was hesitating. I also gently gave a little bit of gas. I did that for 30 seconds maximum.
Well, after putting everything back, I started the engine and I heard a loud rustle that was not there before. I drove the car for about 80 miles, I noticed nothing wrong.
I still have to check if the strange noise is still there when the engine idles. I did not have the chance to do that as yet.
Maybe the car needs time to re-calibrate the sensor which was unplugged so that it knows the mix of air and gas the engine needs? Can that be the reason of the rustle?
Should I be worried?

Thank you
Mark
Old 10-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
No idea what the rustle is, but if you take off the MAF then the car will just run in speed density mode, no harm done most likely. Reinstall MAF, you may even disconnect and reconnect the battery for a bit, and it should all be fine.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Did you unplug the maf sensor connector when you removed the tube? If you just removed the tube and left the sensor plugged in, it would report no air entering the engine and I don't think it would let it into SD mode. The engine would run very poorly, if at all... If you did unplug the MAF sensor connector it would run fine.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Marchino

From your answers I understand that since I DID unplug the air mass sensor connector, I think the engine which was sucking air just didn't know how much of it was getting but it was able to run almost fine.
So I think the engine was running in speed density mode but wituout having
a good reading.....
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
out of curiosity, what was the point of doing this?
2012 2SS/RS, Magna TVS2300, RX Catch Can, Borla S-Type, Pfadt Stage 4 w/ ZL Spec Sway Bars, ADM Custom Boost/AFR Gauges, Hurst Short Throw, Forgestar F14 Matte Black 20x11 & 20x9.5 Deep Concave all 4, Nitto Invo 315/35 & 275/40, Heritage Grill, Sparks Black Grill SS & Trunk SS, P13W Fog Lights (cool white) w/ DRL Harness, Blacked Out Brake light bezels, Xpel Smoke Light Kit
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
Marchino

Just to hear a louder noise...to have fun... for me

Last edited by Marchino; 11-01-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Marchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchino View Post
Hello,

I had to remove the air filter case together with the air mass sensor which is attached to it on the tubular part (you just need to unplug some wires going into it and that's it).
To have fun I started the engine to hear the noise of the engine without air filter on. Well the engine did not make a huge noise because it missed the air mass sensor and in fact it was hesitating. I also gently gave a little bit of gas. I did that for 30 seconds maximum.
Well, after putting everything back, I started the engine and I heard a loud rustle that was not there before. I drove the car for about 80 miles, I noticed nothing wrong.
I still have to check if the strange noise is still there when the engine idles. I did not have the chance to do that as yet.
Maybe the car needs time to re-calibrate the sensor which was unplugged so that it knows the mix of air and gas the engine needs? Can that be the reason of the rustle?
Should I be worried?

Thank you
Mark
Since it seems that all you did was remove the airbox, which included unplugging the MAF sensor, maybe a bird flew into your intake manifold while you were messing with the throttle, more liekly a bat since they like dark places. Just kidding. Let us know what you here while it's idling. There really shouldn't be any relearn process causing a rustling. I'd assume that something didn't get routed or installed correctly...maybe you will get lucky and the rustling will be gone, next time you start up.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
you want to make sure nothing gets ingested into the engine when you do things like that. Since you already drove it and seemed ok. you should be fine if everthing was put back the same. recheck all your connections. clamps and wires to mass air flow. clear codes and see if it comes back.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
Marchino

Opened the hood and checked the noise today....and nothing seems wrong. No strange rustle from the engine or the air filter assembly except for the normal noises you hear (from the transmission belt and a tic tac in the backgroung..). I should be ok. I have no error message in the display. I don't know if any error ever came up when I did that...anyway now it is not there anymore, I don't think I need to reset error or clear codes..if there was one error it is in computer memory...but it is fixed now i think.

Last edited by Marchino; 11-03-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Marchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHall651 View Post
out of curiosity, what was the point of doing this?
Dude. We gotta play with it.

THIS is a guy of my mold.

I did the same thing running it without the MAF Sensor when I installed the blower BUT I did not run it with no filter. Not gonna hurt anything unless the cat gets curious with the car on.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Marchino

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Dude. We gotta play with it.

THIS is a guy of my mold.

I did the same thing running it without the MAF Sensor when I installed the blower BUT I did not run it with no filter. Not gonna hurt anything unless the cat gets curious with the car on.

Tks PQ...
Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
transmission belt?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
transmission belt?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Marchino

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Sorry guys....I am Italian difficult to speak about auto parts in English, how do you call that belt? Serpentine belt?