Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
volvofan

Drives: 1998 Volvo S90 w/ L99 & 6L80E
Which long tube headers fit closest to the block/transmission?

Greetings all, this is my first post to the Camaro5 forums although I've been lurking for about a year.

I have a 2011 Camaro SS with the 6L80E automatic... sort of. Actually, I have the DRIVETRAIN from the aforementioned vehicle, and I've got a guy who's been doing V8 swaps into RWD Volvos for about 30 years installing it into a '98 Volvo S90 sedan... it's my 6th Volvo (I've never owned anything else) and I think it's shaping up to be the funnest one yet!

Currently we're at the stage in the swap when the new drivetrain is installed, all clearances are good, mounts and crossmembers are all set. Next comes the headers... the guy doing the work for me thinks that long tube headers will fit, but clearance will be tightest where the engine meets the bellhousing, as the Volvo's frame rails start to tuck in towards the car's centerline near the firewall.

Rather than start blindly ordering and trial-fitting long tubes a handful at a time, I'd rather consult some subject matter experts. Anyone have any feedback they can share on which LT headers they've tried that seem to snug up close to the block compared to others? I know most folks only get one set and go with it so not many folks may be able to give side-by-side comparisons, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Thanks a ton, and I look forward to being part of the Camaro5 community!

-Jon
volvofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
I'd reach out to a couple reputable vendors and/or builders. Not the manufacturers themselves because they would be biased inhis instance. But the vendors that are selling multiple types of headers. I think a lot of folks on here regurgitate what they've previously read without first hand experience. Something like this will require first hand knowledge

Apex, maryland speed, jre etc are on here often and could probably offer insight if you pm them
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Any chance you could post up some pix to show us the clearance you have to work with so we have a better idea?

I would also take a look at some of the posts on here that actually show the headers in the engine bays to see what type of clearances you can see. Just a thought.

Sounds like a very cool project btw.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Hell of a sleeper, like to see that project when done.
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
There isn't a LOT of clearance in that area. It looks like all the the headers pretty much go the same route. None of them "tuck" in towards the transmission any more than any of the others. Many claim the Pfadts tuck up a little tighter under the body so they don't hang as low as others but they don't tuck in. Your best bet would be to measure the distance you need, then ask someone to measure the same distance on their car. FWIW, you might have better luck getting a set of 1.75in headers as they will be a tad smaller all the way around but won't really hurt performance.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
volvofan

Drives: 1998 Volvo S90 w/ L99 & 6L80E
All-

Here's an update on the long tube header quest. We wound up ordering about half a dozen headers from Summit... I'm going to just eat the return shipping on the ones we don't use for the greater good of the LS swap community (small though it may be for Volvo folks). We tried three 1 7/8" headers, and none of them fit. The rest we tried were 1 3/4". The pacesetters designed for the 2010+ Camaro SS fit on the passenger side, but interfered with the steering column shaft on the driver's side. I think we could have machined an angled flange to tilt those headers in a little closer to the block and get them to clear, but then we tried the JBA 1 3/4" stainless steel headers (6812S, if I recall correctly). They are VERY close, to the point where a little "massaging" should get them to fit without any major machining or adapters required. Added bonus: they were the most inexpensive stainless steel option and came with some nice V bands & mid-pipe extensions. Thanks for all the help!

-Jon
volvofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #7
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvofan View Post
All-

Here's an update on the long tube header quest. We wound up ordering about half a dozen headers from Summit... I'm going to just eat the return shipping on the ones we don't use for the greater good of the LS swap community (small though it may be for Volvo folks). We tried three 1 7/8" headers, and none of them fit. The rest we tried were 1 3/4". The pacesetters designed for the 2010+ Camaro SS fit on the passenger side, but interfered with the steering column shaft on the driver's side. I think we could have machined an angled flange to tilt those headers in a little closer to the block and get them to clear, but then we tried the JBA 1 3/4" stainless steel headers (6812S, if I recall correctly). They are VERY close, to the point where a little "massaging" should get them to fit without any major machining or adapters required. Added bonus: they were the most inexpensive stainless steel option and came with some nice V bands & mid-pipe extensions. Thanks for all the help!

-Jon
Curious, do the frame rails tuck inwards, towards the center of the car esentially making less room in the tranny tunnel area?

If that's the case, why dont you look into LS Swap headers designed for a 3rd generation F-Body (1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird).

Those cars have the front frame rails angle inward toward the center of the car which makes header clearance challenging so just about every header for those cars has the collectors practically sitting directly beside the block.

Stainless Works makes a set for Hawks Thirdgen Performance.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...Collector.html

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
l99, long tube headers, swap