Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
33Chevy

Drives: 1933 Chevy, 1937 GMC, 2013 Camaro
Hood Vent on 2014

Does anyone know how the hood vent will work on the 2014? How are rain, snow, small animals, etc. kept out and is it connected to anything under the hood?
It looks as if this might be a potential aftermarket product to replace with different designs that might be less (or more) intrusive visually.
Is it a flow through design and does it draw the hot air from the engine compartment?
This info may not be available now, but I thought that someone might have seen one up close and personally and could provide more factual insight.
I am considering a new 2014 and am waiting for the V6 turbo to come out, but not ruling out a 2SS.
33Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Nice pic to show how the vent works.

AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yah like the air is supposed to flow through the radiator and over the engine out the little vents...oh wait the little vents are kind of far forward for the engine.....ah well it did replace the mailslot.....and its supposed to look cool like a mini version of a zl1......How many think the thing will be effective for squat? Just a eye catcher to make a change...............
Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
Should still serve to create negative pressure and remove sufficient heat from the engine bay, specifically the radiator... I love heat extractor hoods.

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
33Chevy

Drives: 1933 Chevy, 1937 GMC, 2013 Camaro
Thanks for that picture and quick replies. It would be interesting to tape up the vent and see if underhood temperatures go up. Wonder if a venturi style vent would create a stronger draft to extract the hot air faster, if it really works at all ?
33Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
radametz

Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2016 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Yah like the air is supposed to flow through the radiator and over the engine out the little vents...oh wait the little vents are kind of far forward for the engine.....ah well it did replace the mailslot.....and its supposed to look cool like a mini version of a zl1......How many think the thing will be effective for squat? Just a eye catcher to make a change...............
As far as I know, it's main purpose isn't to cool the engine as much as it is to reduce lift and drag generated from air not being allowed to escape from under the hood.

Also, just because cool air doesn't flow directly over the engine doesn't mean it's not cooling the engine. The vent creates a lower pressure area at the top of the hood and will draw hot air out from under the hood. So while it might not be actively cooling the engine with cool air flowing over the engine itself, it WILL cool it by drawing hot air out.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1sniper3x View Post
As far as I know, it's main purpose isn't to cool the engine as much as it is to reduce lift and drag generated from air not being allowed to escape from under the hood.

Also, just because cool air doesn't flow directly over the engine doesn't mean it's not cooling the engine. The vent creates a lower pressure area at the top of the hood and will draw hot air out from under the hood. So while it might not be actively cooling the engine with cool air flowing over the engine itself, it WILL cool it by drawing hot air out.
Agreed. The more I think about the OEM hood, the more I start to like it over my Hex Vents. The hex vents are good but the OEM is more practical because it helps create a venturi-like effect that sucks hot air up through the openings at the bottom of the vent assembly allowing it to mix with the cooler incoming air that flows over the car. And while your sitting at a street light, the hot air will rise up through the openings at the bottom of the vent assembly.

Another bonus is that, because of the way the vent's bottom openings and top openings are staggered, no leaves or rain will have direct access to the engine bay unlike the Hex Vents.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
It doesn't take much to help cool hot engine bay. Cowl flaps on the planes I fly are small. but VERY effective in cooling the engine. Even when parked on the ramp, just opening the oil hatch, just a few square inches in size, will cool the engine.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Stealth6

Drives: '17 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
It doesn't take much to help cool hot engine bay. Cowl flaps on the planes I fly are small. but VERY effective in cooling the engine. Even when parked on the ramp, just opening the oil hatch, just a few square inches in size, will cool the engine.
Make sure to close the cowl flaps for parking...... helps to keep the birds out of the cowling.
Stealth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Exigent

Drives: 2003 Porsche 996tt
Chevrolet claims it changes the 200 lbs of lift on an SS to @ 65 lbs of downforce
Exigent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Im getting it for my 2010. The zl1 was too much. This one has a better design and look.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 06-01-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Chevy View Post
I am considering a new 2014 and am waiting for the V6 turbo to come out, but not ruling out a 2SS.
What????
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I don't like the look of the 2014 vent. I think something similar to the hex vents or a varient of the first gen simulated vents, but make them functional. I liked the simulated vents my '68 SS had but they weren't funcional. I don't think they would look right on a 5th gen but if they were sized a little different they might look good.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Lol I know its supposed to create less lift and more down force.....Lol how do they measure that with a carpenters level at 150mph...........rofl Its kind of small is my point and to really be that effective larger venting is better....oh yes the zl1.....And its only effective at high speed.......Frankly i think gm should have made a cowled hood that vented heat out toward the window...oh yes our cowl on our hood is pretty but non functional either for induction or venting as the hoods cowl seal across it and the rest of the hood to keep water from coming in..............Thats why old hod rodders would louver their hoods........I know I louvered some of my cars and made special high chromium content drip pans for rain to be able to pour off my engine and headers that I welded under the hood and reflected the engine.......And its also why some hot rodders have their hood up at the back with a gap where the hood is not fitted properly sitting down to vent the heat backward over the window. Remember the engines at like 350 degrees the water at or around 210 degrees.......
Anyway enough history, I think it would have been real cool if they had made a rearward facing venting by vacuum like on a say cowl induction hood from a old 70-72 chevelle facing the windshield that would allow heat to pass through when operated.....and relieve under hood pressure.......Just a thought GM.........