Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Pete

Drives: Camaro
Automatic vs Manual ?

Hello group, just joined up, looked around and decided to post and ask a question. 3 months ago I ordered a 2SS/RS Automatic, I have about 3 more months to wait for delivery I am told by the selling dealer. I was told the auto's are now coming with the back up sensors (ugly-imo) on the bumper and also has an remote start feature. I also wonder about the fuel management system. I do plan on putting a blower on the car with headers and exhaust with a few other mods..injectors and such. Am I wasting my time with an automatic car? It is costing 1200 more for it. I am rethinking the issue and leaning towards a manual now. They told me if I wanted to change anything it is not a big deal until it's in GM system ready for the build. I can only go by what I am told. What is the real way to go performance/dependability wise? I am really clueless about GM's fuel management system in this car and wonder if down teh road it becomes problematic in general and also for modding. Thank you in advance.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
StealthMan

Drives: 88 IROC-Z Convert, 08 Jeep Rubicon
well..my opinion is that unless there is a physical reason why you couldn't have a manual...then manual is the only way to go!!
StealthMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Pete

Drives: Camaro
Funny the first post would mention that. I was going with the auto because of a beat up left leg from a bike accident 10 years ago. I can still drive a clutch, leg gets sore some from clutching.....but it is not going to be a daily driver either, more to drive my 2 kids (10&7) around to the local car nights on Friday and Saturday evenings. Should be fun, but really want to know about any automatic/fuel system down falls I may run into. I see Henessey does teh 550 with a manual. Something like that kit or the 650 is what I will be going for eventually.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
MightyT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
I wanted the stick for the fun factor ... but I had one once and being a commuter in LA stop-n-go traffic all the fun was sucked out of me.

So, I went with the automatic.

If it were my 'round town car, I would have definitely gotten the stick.

Not sure but I think the automatic has a slight bit better mileage, if that matters ....

1100 Prelim. Order - (09-18-09)
2000 GM Accepted - (09-22-09) Order NPJWCM.
3000 Prod Control Accepted - (10-14-09) TPW 11/02/09.
3300 Scheduled - (10-26-09)
3400 Broadcast - (10-31-09)
3800 Produced - (11-06-09) VIN 2G1FC1EV6A9165272
4200 Shipped - (11-09-09) Rail ETTX701486
5000 Deliver dealer - (11-27-09)
6000 Deliver customer - (11-27-09)
MightyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
StealthMan

Drives: 88 IROC-Z Convert, 08 Jeep Rubicon
Oh..and the manual has 20 more horse power too...
StealthMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
This topic's been beat to death, you can find anything you want to know about this choice with a little looking around.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
if you are in your 20s i will hope you will go manual. if you are older with kids then idk.

manual= BA, funner, more impression,
auto = push the pedal and the car will go.... nothing more to it, the car will look cool to.

Last edited by mikeSS; 12-07-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: .
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I'd say go with the auto .... The best track times have been with the autos. You get the remote start, and you can have fun and drive them just as hard as a standard .... The auto is the best of both worlds IMO, you can take full control but are not obligated to do so !!!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
bozbot
Boom goes the dynamite

Drives: '02 civic
Send a message via AIM to bozbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
if you are in your 20s i will hope you will go manual. if you are older with kids then idk.

manual= BA, funner, more impression,
auto = push the pedal and the car will go.... nothing more to it, the car will look cool to.
agreed.

I am a 26 year old who is used to driving manual. I bought an Automatic like an idiot and after three weeks of driving the Auto I am already ancy while driving.
bozbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
One thing to consider is that all that extra HP (from your mods) will almost certainly smoke your trans. With a standard you should be able to just throw a bigger clutch on and be ok. I have no idea how much it would take to make an auto trans deal with that kind of power increase - but I'd wager it's more involved than the standard.

Although you do have a bad clutch leg, tough call.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
One thing to consider is that all that extra HP (from your mods) will almost certainly smoke your trans. With a standard you should be able to just throw a bigger clutch on and be ok. I have no idea how much it would take to make an auto trans deal with that kind of power increase - but I'd wager it's more involved than the standard.

Although you do have a bad clutch leg, tough call.
You'd have to spend a good chunk of change before you have enough HP to smoke the auto tranny in one of these. Not counting a HUGE shot of nitrous.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
the backup sensors come with both stick/auto. It's a personal choice if you like to shift gears or not, I got over that a long time ago and wanted the convenience of auto this time around, love the remote start too. Performance wise I don't think it matters much, 1/4 stock times are similar but auto is better geared for 0-60 which I do more of than 1/4 racing. The stick has a bit more HP stock but once you start modding it just matters how much you want to spend.

As for performance well you mentioned supercharger and I have an auto SS with a magnuson supercharger, headers and exhaust/CAI and 500HP is plenty of get up and go. The supercharger does great with the auto, instant boost and when launching in first gear the supercharger loves to be under load. If you get a supercharger you will get a custom tune which means simply turn off the AFM and it's V8 mode all the time, also get the tranny tuned and you have super quick shifts. There are guys running 600-900 HP on the auto. Having a 500HP car I don't see how you can really drive a 900 HP on the streets without running flinstone wide tires on the back, it's tough to keep the wheels from spinning with 500HP when you get on it. Awesome on the freeway though to be cruising at 65-70 and mash the gas and hear the supercharger whine kick in and and you are instantly at 100MPH, just awesome.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:03 AM   #13
AZ MSCL

Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Hello group, just joined up, looked around and decided to post and ask a question. 3 months ago I ordered a 2SS/RS Automatic, I have about 3 more months to wait for delivery I am told by the selling dealer. I was told the auto's are now coming with the back up sensors (ugly-imo) on the bumper and also has an remote start feature. I also wonder about the fuel management system. I do plan on putting a blower on the car with headers and exhaust with a few other mods..injectors and such. Am I wasting my time with an automatic car? It is costing 1200 more for it. I am rethinking the issue and leaning towards a manual now. They told me if I wanted to change anything it is not a big deal until it's in GM system ready for the build. I can only go by what I am told. What is the real way to go performance/dependability wise? I am really clueless about GM's fuel management system in this car and wonder if down teh road it becomes problematic in general and also for modding. Thank you in advance.

Pete
I think it really comes down to what you want. Both the auto and manual have good/bad points. If you enjoy shifting gears a lot, get the manual. If you don't, get the auto. The only down side to the auto (IMO) is the loss of about 25 hp, however, if you're going to do the mods you stated, it really isn't a factor.

AZ MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #14
Bogey99

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Smile

If your talking about putting a blower on this thing then obviously your a driver so why would you even consider an automatic? Not to mention the active fuel management would just be another thing that you could jack up when you mod it. As mentioned before you also get less horsepower. Nothing against automatic guys but I like to have full control over my vehicle.
Bogey99 is offline   Reply With Quote