Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
1LE Shifter?

Does anyone know if a ball type shifter handle can be used on a stock 1LE shifter? Looking to do something like this for the line lock http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...de-1630069.htm
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Stock shifter is pushed on - so no threads.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
kansjfr

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Wrong, wrong, wrong. On the 1LE (and on all '13s, I believe) the shift knob is held on with a setscrew that is only accessible after removing the boot from the shift knob. There's a thread on it, do a search. The original poster broke off the tabs inside the shift boot prying the knob and boot apart. I put a really cool knob from EPCO on mine, but getting the boot to mate with the shift knob was a pia and required some jerry-rigging (spelling?). You will NEVER get it off trying to just pull it off. I love the EPCO knob and how it looks, and don't have to worry about that stupid factory knob getting the nap worn off.
kansjfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansjfr View Post
Wrong, wrong, wrong. On the 1LE (and on all '13s, I believe) the shift knob is held on with a setscrew that is only accessible after removing the boot from the shift knob. There's a thread on it, do a search. The original poster broke off the tabs inside the shift boot prying the knob and boot apart. I put a really cool knob from EPCO on mine, but getting the boot to mate with the shift knob was a pia and required some jerry-rigging (spelling?). You will NEVER get it off trying to just pull it off. I love the EPCO knob and how it looks, and don't have to worry about that stupid factory knob getting the nap worn off.
Thanks for the info. I am going to give them a call today.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansjfr View Post
Really? Wow, did not know that. Is that new for the 2013's or for the 1LE's?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Hey Kans... Any pics of the knob?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Darn, I would like to replace my 1LE shifter and was hoping the 1LE knob would fit my OE Barton stick and shifter. I like the stock knob. As far as shifters go:

MGW > Barton > 1LE/ZL1 > Hurst > Stock SS
Old 10-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
kansjfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Hey Kans... Any pics of the knob?
I've taken a couple of pics of the knob on the shifter, trying to figure out how to get them from my digital camera to the computer (done, I think), and then to this thread. Patience, please.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
I found this on Epco's site. Prob one of the best they offer.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
kansjfr

OK, I think I finally got the pics attached. I bought two of the Epco knobs, one has more white in it than the other. When you get the boot and factory knob separated, loosen the setscrew on the factory knob and remove it. Then put the the largest diameter sleeve they supply on the shifter shaft, but you'll have to gently grind or file down the outside of the sleeve so that the knob will go over it and the shifter shaft. Then put the knob on the shifter shaft with the sleeve on it and put the setscrews in and tighten them. After you get that accomplished, you'll need to file down those little pins inside the shift boot until they will friction fit over the collar with the setscrews on the Epco knob. You just have to keep filing down the pins a little at a time (I used a rat-tail file) until the shift boot will tightly fit over the collar that holds the setscrews on the Epco knob. I told you it was a jerry-rigged thing, but it looks great (to me, at least), and it's holding up well so far.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
detox

Drives: 2002 ss camaro
Leather or Fabric knob is much more comfortable.
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I have had several knobs on my '11 SS and like the standard 1LE knob better than all the others. Barton will be making a '13 compatible stick so I can keep the stock knob and install my Barton shifter. That job is a PIA but worth it.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
kansjfr

OK by me.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
That is a cool looking knob.