Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #15
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
It's a GM part and if installed by GM service people should be covered under warranty also as far as I know.
This has been discussed in several other forums. Just because it's made by GM does not mean they will cover it. The warranty for your car covers what came on it and nothing else. The camshaft itself comes with a warranty, but installing it will void the warranty on your car.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
This has been discussed in several other forums. Just because it's made by GM does not mean they will cover it. The warranty for your car covers what came on it and nothing else. The camshaft itself comes with a warranty, but installing it will void the warranty on your car.
correct if you have to have those numbers your warranty is pretty much out the door.
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
That's why you install the cam yourself and don't tell them.

LOL I can see them starting it in shop.. "lop lop lop lop lop"... uh.. ..lol.

The engine already comes with a nice cam. Changing it gonna hurt your MPG big time but I assume modders realize that of course.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
so none of these mods need supporting mods like injectors, maf or fuel pump?
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #19
blackedout010

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
so none of these mods need supporting mods like injectors, maf or fuel pump?
to get your 500+rwhp mark yea you will need injectors pump etc
Old 03-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #20
vladkgb

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout010 View Post
how do you figure supercharger is easiest??? not to be rude or come off bad have you ever owned a car with an sc?? ive had 2 and tons of headaches. from pulley combos to belt slippage both were constant headaches. with all the knowledge people have on ls based motors nowadays a good old heads and cam package is the way to go with least amount of hassle.
Yea its extra maintenance you have to do. On the procharger, u have to change the oil on the unit it self every 5k miles or so, since its a self contained unit. I had to swap pulleys every few months until ATI made their pulleys better. It wasnt that bad imo.

Also installing or removing, for the procharger, is not hard since its bolt on, and you can still retain warranty if you uninstall and put back all the stock parts. Also its decent on fuel economy, doesnt impact it as hard as a cam or a roots blower would. I got 20mpg consistently running 5psi and putting out 455rwhp on my ls1.
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #21
vladkgb

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
Quote:
to get your 500+rwhp mark yea you will need injectors pump etc
Oh i left this out, for my procharged ls1, i upgraded injectors, intank fuel pump, and also added an a1000 fuel pump booster which turned on at 2k rpms, but that was overkill imo (was planning on running dry nitrous at the same time).
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #22
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Im going to be supercharging .. after having an 04 cobra at 509rwhp / 520rwtq .. nothing else will cut the mustard .. I'll do magnacharger or something like that for the best low end response (nothing like it) .. I'll be shooting for at least 600 crank HP ..

Crowley
+1 My cousin 03 Cobra with 15psi of boost was freaking awesome. I am going to bolt on a supercharger. Personaly I think TVS 1900 supercharger and no more than 6psi Should be ok without upgrading internals. 600hp is my goal aswell.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #23
blackedout010

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkgb View Post
Oh i left this out, for my procharged ls1, i upgraded injectors, intank fuel pump, and also added an a1000 fuel pump booster which turned on at 2k rpms, but that was overkill imo (was planning on running dry nitrous at the same time).
correct! im not against superchargers in anyway. i just meant that heads and cam are a good way to go as well. its pretty much a personal preference just like catback systems lol. but 500 hp mark can be ubtained with either. but lets face it if you want big hp odds are your gonna void your warranty anyways.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #24
blackedout010

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
+1 My cousin 03 Cobra with 15psi of boost was freaking awesome. I am going to bolt on a supercharger. Personaly I think TVS 1900 supercharger and no more than 6psi Should be ok without upgrading internals. 600hp is my goal aswell.
iv had a cobra with a kb 2.6 and yes they are fun. keep in mind modular motors absolutely love forced induction!!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #25
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
how do you figure supercharger is easiest??? not to be rude or come off bad have you ever owned a car with an sc?? ive had 2 and tons of headaches. from pulley combos to belt slippage both were constant headaches. with all the knowledge people have on ls based motors nowadays a good old heads and cam package is the way to go with least amount of hassle.
I correct setup will not yield belt slippage or issues ... and I'll stand by anyone's comment on here that it will be the easiest to 500rwhp

Crowley
Old 03-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #26
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Say once an LS3 or even the L99 gets to that goal, will both tranmissions handle it? Isn't there a limit on torque for things like syncros, sprags, clutches, converters?
And then there's the rear end spider gears, carrier, ring and pinion.
And then since it is an IRS, there are the CVs and bearings.

Optimal traction with big horse power can equal broken parts and saddened hearts.
Just wondering.........
Old 03-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #27
blackedout010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I correct setup will not yield belt slippage or issues ... and I'll stand by anyone's comment on here that it will be the easiest to 500rwhp

Crowley
well good
Old 03-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #28
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
Say once an LS3 or even the L99 gets to that goal, will both tranmissions handle it? Isn't there a limit on torque for things like syncros, sprags, clutches, converters?
And then there's the rear end spider gears, carrier, ring and pinion.
And then since it is an IRS, there are the CVs and bearings.

Optimal traction with big horse power can equal broken parts and saddened hearts.
Just wondering.........
the trans and the rear are both tested to ~750hp
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote