Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Buy a v6 and drive use it as a daily driver then when you go back to the ZL1 you will be happy with "ONLY" 580hp...
Really it's like being in Air conditioning set at 75 degrees, after a while it just doesn't feel as cool. But step out in the 90 degree heat for a little while and then come back inside and it will feel so much better.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
....... when it comes to keeping my Z's warranty by NOT doing a tune.

I traded in my Maggie equipped 2010 SS back in March because I wanted something as fast as my SS but with a warranty. The ZL1 fit the remedy to a T. As many people already know, we tend to get use to the HP we have and then get the craving for more. So the more I read this forum the more I keep feeling the pressure(s) or urge (if you will) to upgrade my LSA for even more HP.

Of course we all know that tuning instantly kills the warranties on these cars. This puts me right back where I was prior to buying my Z. So how's a guy suppose to deal with Camaro5 pure pressure while staying content with "only" 580HP??? lol
honesly all waranties expire. In my case most waranties I have had on cars year limit expired before I ever used them.

on my last last Z06 (07) 2012 came and went with no motor issues. I had a couple things fixed under tsb's but nothing significant. ~$600 in parts.

So on this car I new waranty would have to go away to get the power I wanted.

I turn my own wrench and paid cash for my car though so if I have to put some money in at some point it does not impact me as much as people who are finaced and have to pay $85 an hr for labor.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Everybody thinks that a tune means they have no warranty. The only time that GM is gonna look at the tune is if you have a total engine failure and they need to replace the motor. How often does that happen? Once an engine is properly broken in and you take care of it it should last 100k miles easy. Say your water pump fails. The dealer will probably replace it. Electrical problems? Dealer fix. Wheel bearing fails, dealer fix. MAF sensor fail? Dealer fix. Detonate because you ran too much boost and cracked a piston because it wasn't tuned properly? YOU FIX!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Everybody thinks that a tune means they have no warranty. The only time that GM is gonna look at the tune is if you have a total engine failure and they need to replace the motor. How often does that happen? Once an engine is properly broken in and you take care of it it should last 100k miles easy. Say your water pump fails. The dealer will probably replace it. Electrical problems? Dealer fix. Wheel bearing fails, dealer fix. MAF sensor fail? Dealer fix. Detonate because you ran too much boost and cracked a piston because it wasn't tuned properly? YOU FIX!

Mod it ! Enjoy it !
Pure peer pressure, don't listen to me.

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
This.

Or don't mod it.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #20
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
no matter what you do, as long as you have modded cars before, you won't be happy unless you mod it and what ZO6 Bryan said!

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #21
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Ozzie check with David Maus on the warranty, when we set up the club meeting at the dealership we were informed that a tuned car will not void out the warranty (obviously unless the tune caused the issue). All that they asked was that if you modded the car and did a tune just let them know so they are not going round and round looking for an issue.

As for the HP I get the need for more HP but really where will you need that extra 30+ HP honestly unless you are taking her to the track (and I know you are not) you will never use the HP you have now in the car is it really worth spending the $$$ on that. I would go with a better exhaust system for the Z, and work on some cosmetic item.

I don’t know maybe I am getting old but this day in age HP is just a number I would never use it just look at my Z/28 I never drive it she has more HP than my 2010 yet she just sits and sits.

Do yourself a favor save your $$$ and enjoy the car.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
One of the things I've considered is getting a new ECM to run a tune on, my one original ECM would remain stock then I can install my new tuned ECM and should I ever have that misfortune happen then I could reinstall the stock ECM.

It should be obvious but all that would depend on what mods you did, if you replaced a cam then this option wouldn't work for you. I'm now at 17K miles though and had my car for a year and a half so warranty is half gone as it is. So this option is no longer viable to me.

ECM Part numbers is the same between 2012-13 manual/auto and coupe/verts:
ACDELCO Part # 12633264
$260 RockAuto
$216 Amazon
$140 Ebay
Old 11-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #23
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
....... when it comes to keeping my Z's warranty by NOT doing a tune.

I traded in my Maggie equipped 2010 SS back in March because I wanted something as fast as my SS but with a warranty. The ZL1 fit the remedy to a T. As many people already know, we tend to get use to the HP we have and then get the craving for more. So the more I read this forum the more I keep feeling the pressure(s) or urge (if you will) to upgrade my LSA for even more HP.

Of course we all know that tuning instantly kills the warranties on these cars. This puts me right back where I was prior to buying my Z. So how's a guy suppose to deal with Camaro5 pure pressure while staying content with "only" 580HP??? lol
Bumblebee I feel the same way,,,,, I do track my zl1 and don't want to risk the warranty, But I want more HP
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Keep it stock if its your ride to work and cant go without it has always been my rule of thumb. I don't need mine on a daily basis so I modded the heck out of it. Its my weekend warrior or sunny day car. But mainly its a bigass can of whipass I can pull out my garage and unleash on the unsuspecting general public!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
One of the things I've considered is getting a new ECM to run a tune on, my one original ECM would remain stock then I can install my new tuned ECM and should I ever have that misfortune happen then I could reinstall the stock ECM.

It should be obvious but all that would depend on what mods you did, if you replaced a cam then this option wouldn't work for you. I'm now at 17K miles though and had my car for a year and a half so warranty is half gone as it is. So this option is no longer viable to me.

ECM Part numbers is the same between 2012-13 manual/auto and coupe/verts:
ACDELCO Part # 12633264
$260 RockAuto
$216 Amazon
$140 Ebay
If you have an automatic then the TCM is in the transmission and cannot be removed from what I know, so even if you left the TCM untuned I would be worried about it communicating with the ecm and seeing the ecm was changed and "telling" on you some how
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #26
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Install a pressure relieve valve if it gets too much for ya..
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #27
Oddvious

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I've had my 13 a month and already ordered the 150Hp JRE Pack I say the heck with it I break it gives me a reason to build the motor Just can't tell the old lady Haaa.

Like LuckyZL said I'm only gonna whip the beast out for some A** Whoopin' so for me it's worth the risk. I asked myself this am I keeping a warrantee for the next owner or myself because I want to enjoy it? The way I look at it is if it breaks it will most likely be with a lot more miles after I'm done beating on it Haaa. I haven't seen a lot of broken threads and I trust JRE's tune capabilities so for now I'm gonna enjoy it to it's full capability with 600HP+ while it's young because by the time warrantee runs out I'm sure the next best thing will have convinced me to trade up.
Oddvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
noah677
Account Suspended

Drives: White Zl1
On this forum I have read about handheld tuners and what you can and cannot do with them. I have been impressed with some of the products that I have looked into. Quite a number of them state quite plainly that you can reverse the tune AND THE DEALER CANNOT TELL. So my question is: is this or does this statement have any TRUTH to it?? Obviously if true then with bolt on I could get kind of hp I want/need. I really hope a few people are able to answer this.
By the way to directly comment on this topic I did put on the CAI RotoFab and was so pleasantly surprised at the increase in torque and horsepower that I experience. It is really one bolt on worth the money
noah677 is offline   Reply With Quote