Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #29
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Ok, well I got everything back together again. In the interest of "science" I did not install the spacer yet. I did the seafoam treatment (which, by the way, scared the piss out of me!) and once the engine ran all the crap out of it, feels good! Maybe its only wishful thinking, but just the cleaning up of the valves seems to have made a big difference in how the throttle feels. I'll post some pics up of before and after soon... They're cringe worthy
Old 11-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
Ok, well I got everything back together again. In the interest of "science" I did not install the spacer yet. I did the seafoam treatment (which, by the way, scared the piss out of me!) and once the engine ran all the crap out of it, feels good! Maybe its only wishful thinking, but just the cleaning up of the valves seems to have made a big difference in how the throttle feels. I'll post some pics up of before and after soon... They're cringe worthy
The upper induction cleaning smoothed out my idle a lot.

The manual cleaning smoothed it out even more.

After this experience I am a big believer in a catch can install on day 1.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #31
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
I posted my whole write-up here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328400

My plan is to follow up next week with more pics when I take it back apart and install the spacer. I'm hoping to find NO oil in the intake with both catch can and clean side separator. My valves were terrible! But yeah idle seems much better, a friend had commented that the camaro felt a bit sluggish, but I seem to have gotten some power back. At the very least, throttle response is much improved. These are DI engines, so even with a catch can we're going to see some build-up around the valves - just the nature of the beast I guess.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #32
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
*old thread warning*

the V6 LFX for '12-'13 look similar to the '14 would these instructions work?

Also this spacer that deadens the noise, is this required? I see that terry_b didn't have it installed as of his last post here.
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #33
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
*old thread warning*

the V6 LFX for '12-'13 look similar to the '14 would these instructions work?

Also this spacer that deadens the noise, is this required? I see that terry_b didn't have it installed as of his last post here.
I have not heard of any substantial changes in the '14 LFX. Just examine the pictures in the DIY pdf and compare with your engine bay. It the bolts for the intake manifold and the various other connectors on the manifold look the same, you should be good to go.

I would put the spacer back in after you clean. The last thing you need it to have the service tech saying the engine has been modded.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #34
MARVIL

Drives: 2014 Camaro V6 RS
Man. This is a great thread! Thanks.
GMPP body kit / 1.5" drop Phastek springs / Blacked out factory rims / Nitto Motivo tires / Blacked out exhaust tips / RPI carbon fiber hydropainted emblems / MGP RS caliper covers / BMR strut bar / Apex CAI scoop / VMAX ported throttle body / CAI cold air intake / Elite Engineering Oil catch can / Solo Performance high flow cats / MagnaFlow Tru-X X pipe / MRT v1

MARVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #35
Sigma Projects

Drives: V6
I'm planning on doing this alongside installing a catch can, any cleaning product people recommend for cleaning the valves?
Sigma Projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:22 AM   #36
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Projects View Post
I'm planning on doing this alongside installing a catch can, any cleaning product people recommend for cleaning the valves?
I am hoping that the Seafoam treatment is enough. For those that have done it, did they get away with one can? I was curious if only one wipedown was okay if they are relatively clean.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #37
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the85darkknight View Post
I am hoping that the Seafoam treatment is enough. For those that have done it, did they get away with one can? I was curious if only one wipedown was okay if they are relatively clean.
The dealer cleaned mine with one can of the BG chemical. This is NOT Seafoam.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #38
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
The dealer cleaned mine with one can of the BG chemical. This is NOT Seafoam.

Did they describe their procedure? I laid off this time until I am sure I can do it.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #39
intensifi

Quote:
Did they describe their procedure? I laid off this time until I am sure I can do it.
It’s a standard procedure called “Upper Induction Cleaning”.

You will need to have an oil change at the conclusion of the procedure.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #40
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
They just take the upper manifold off, soak everything with the spray, close it up, run the car, do an oil change.

I don't find it as effective as someone who has done the crushed walnut cleanings, but it's enough to clean it a little bit.

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #41
ToxicLs3
Banned

Drives: 2019 Camaro rs
Thanks I been looking for this for the longest
ToxicLs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #42
mrbrans5

Drives: IOM Bahia Int. 2LT RS M6 SR BH
2010 LT V6 RS

Cleaned my intake ports and valves using the walnut blasting method (similar to the way BMW dealers do it). Worked like a charm.

I bought 18" of heavy vinyl pool piping and attached my shop vac to one end and fit it tightly into my intake port. i then customized a 12" piece of brake line to fit on the end of my walnut blaster, and inserted it through a hole I made in the pool piping, then into the intake port.

Here is my set-up...
Attached Images

Tags
cleaning, diy, intake manifold, lfx, valves