Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I agree 5 lol

But hey if your guys say get it then go for it bud.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #30
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post
OK that's cool your post made it sound like you thought cais in general were worthless.
Fair enough.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
All good. You should have CAI just don't obsess over the brand they all do the same thing. I'm not a fan of the power wedge .. Better ?
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Better!! Haha
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #32
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
why does it always come down to how much HP something makes? ported TB's show some gains...but the most important improvement is throttle response. why some people get so caught up in chasing numbers they forget there are other variables in the mix is beyond me.

i haven't done before and after testing with mine, but i suppose next time i hop on the dyno i will. and i'll do it in conjunction with a ported TB just for S&G's.

looking forward to your results OP.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #33
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
why does it always come down to how much HP something makes? ported TB's show some gains...but the most important improvement is throttle response. why some people get so caught up in chasing numbers they forget there are other variables in the mix is beyond me.
That's easy. Show me any tangible graph that can show the increase in throttle response of a wedge vs stock. Opinion and SOP is so subjective it's not even funny. We have guys stating their new exhaust free'd up 20+whp on their cars and will SWEAR to it, just because it feels 20whp faster. Do you believe them too? If you want to make claims on here, we need them to be backed up with some kind of proof. My throttle response feels faster just doesn't cut it.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #34
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
A shop with a engine dyno in a controlled environment should test this. It would put this debate to rest. Same goes for the ported TB.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #35
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
A shop with a engine dyno in a controlled environment should test this. It would put this debate to rest. Same goes for the ported TB.
It has been tested by a few different shops and all showed gains, however many people still don't want to believe the results.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #36
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
It has been tested by a few different shops and all showed gains, however many people still don't want to believe the results.
Not talking HP gains, but TR improvement. A dyno won't show that.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #37
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
That's easy. Show me any tangible graph that can show the increase in throttle response of a wedge vs stock. Opinion and SOP is so subjective it's not even funny. We have guys stating their new exhaust free'd up 20+whp on their cars and will SWEAR to it, just because it feels 20whp faster. Do you believe them too? If you want to make claims on here, we need them to be backed up with some kind of proof. My throttle response feels faster just doesn't cut it.
Exactly....!!!

Placebo: "I spent some money on a POS & it must make more HP because I spent some money"......

With all the TB acceleration placebo delays - all sheeples should immediately take their car to the dealer for warranty service to repair for free. And for those on the cheap, maybe you can stealer beg for a $1.00 off coupon for an increase in HP oil change (begins with the letter Z), gee.....

Last edited by Smirnoff; 03-11-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #38
dcoates18481

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RALLY YELLOW SS/RS/M6
It's amazing how much "press" this little piece of plastic gets....both good and bad.

Try it, if you don't like it sell it or return it...either way, there's no shortage of buyers for it.

Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Kit, Melling oil pump, C5R Timing Chain, Dyno Tuned by Shawn@Lethal Racing, Vararam Tuned intake, Vararam Power Wedge, LSR Tri Ax Short throw Shifter, VMAX Ported T/B, TSP 2" L/T Headers, TSP Cat delete, Borla axle back exhaust, Innovate A/F monitor, 471.7 HP/438.8 TQ
dcoates18481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #39
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
the only way i know to test throttle response is at the track. unfortunately, im not going any time soon. and even then, i am too much of a variable to provide consistent results. ...so...that being said.

did i need a dyno to realize the gains made from adding LT's? NOPE
did i need a dyno to realize the gains from my CAI? NOPE
or how about when i added my 3.91 gears? NOPE (its quick as shyt)
ported TB to be added to this list soon...

...just sayin.

yes, a dyno or 1/4 mi is nice when looking for the actual gain made with the addition of each part. i agree that you really won't feel a HP increase of anything under 10 (especially on an LS3). i disagree when it comes to throttle response (what i see as a direct result of added TQ). you can feel the difference in throttle response, you can hear, and see it. the car responds quicker, you can hear the engine rev up quicker, and you can see the RPM's climb faster. thats all the proof i need. but you'll probably tell me that my uncalibrated but dyno is off

anyhow, whats it gonna hurt? vararam will return it if you don't like it anyway.

i'll keep enjoying my placebo effect...
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #40
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
This thing seems too easy to add to not do if you are adding a ported TB. Looking at the pics the concept seems logical enough. $100 is almost nothing when you think that it costs almost $80 to fill a Camaro from empty. What can it hurt?

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #41
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
Please tell me what shop tested this on a engine dyno? A engine dyno is completely different from a chassis dyno because you can completely control the environment and all testing paramiters.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #42
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Oh man this subject has been beat to death! Let's all agree to disagree and move on! Strange thing is I keep coming back to read this thread even though I know it's a loosing argument no matter what! I was thinking about getting one because I do believe in the feel you might get with throttle response but I'm installing 3.91's soon and I think THAT will give me all the throttle response I need! I'll put that $100 to better use to help pay for the gears install!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote