Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor Issues?

Need help, Crankshaft position sensor code came on after a real hard start tonight, runs like crap and the traction control light is on, code is P0335 for Crankshaft position sensor. Anyone have a clue as to what this could be?
Any advice or suggestions as to what to look for?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Being as you had an extended crank it's likely the Crankshaft Position Sensor is faulty or loose, which can also lead to poor drive-ability because the ECM can't reference a proper signal.

Circuit/System Verification

1. Engine idling, observe the scan tool Crankshaft Position Active Counter parameter. The parameter should be incrementing.
  2. Engine idling, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P0335 should not set.
  3. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing

Note: You must perform the Circuit/System Verification before proceeding with Circuit/System Testing.

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the B26 crankshaft position sensor.
  2. Ignition OFF, vehicle systems OFF, this may take 2 minutes, test for less than 1 ohm between the low reference circuit, terminal B, and ground.
¤ If greater than the specified value, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the K20 ECM.
  1. Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 V between the 5 V reference circuit, terminal C and ground.
¤ If less than the specified range, test the 5 V reference circuit for an open/high resistance or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the K20 ECM. ¤ If greater than the specified range, test the 5 V reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the K20 ECM.
  1. Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 V between the signal circuit terminal A and ground.
¤ If less than the specified range, test the signal circuit for an open/high resistance or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the K20 ECM. ¤ If greater than the specified range, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the K20 ECM.
  1. Ignition OFF, connect a 3 A fused jumper wire to the signal circuit terminal A.
  2. Ignition ON, momentarily touch the other end of the fused jumper wire to the battery negative post. The Crankshaft Position Active counter, should increment.
¤ If the Crankshaft Position Active counter increments, test or replace the B26 crankshaft position sensor. ¤ If the Crankshaft Position Active counter does not increment, replace the K20 ECM. Component Testing

Note: You must perform the Circuit/System Testing before proceeding with Component Testing.

1. Inspect the crankshaft position sensor for correct installation. Remove the B26 crankshaft position sensor from the engine and inspect the sensor O-ring for damage.
¤ If the sensor is loose, incorrectly installed, or damaged, replace the B26 crankshaft position sensor.
  1. Connect the crankshaft position sensor harness connector to the B26 crankshaft position sensor.
  2. Ignition ON, observe the Crankshaft Position Active counter parameter with a scan tool while passing a flat steel object across the tip of the sensor repeatedly. The Crankshaft Position Active counter parameter should increment with each pass of the steel object.
¤ If the function does not perform as specified, replace the B26 crankshaft position sensor.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Already went through every one of these steps before posting here, i think i got it narrowed down to something else but will post when fixed! Also my car is not a stock L99, i have many mods, cammed, forged, LS3 Conversion, ported heads, Supercharger.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Good luck, I'm interested to know what you find!
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
CamaroLoco

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farthestnorth View Post
Need help, Crankshaft position sensor code came on after a real hard start tonight, runs like crap and the traction control light is on, code is P0335 for Crankshaft position sensor. Anyone have a clue as to what this could be?
Any advice or suggestions as to what to look for?
My car is heavily modded as well and I didn't have the problem until after it was modded however there are some other threads on here where the same issue is happening, modded or stock. I actually posted on another thread about the same issue and I thought I had the problem solved. It was happening with a lot of frequency and replacing the sensor didn't do the job. The shop I go to thought they had it solved. Their shop Camaro was doing the same thing and they discovered some loose wires that were making contact with the starter. The insulation had slipped off of these wires. They taped theirs and mine up real good and I thought that was it until it happened again.

I had read on another thread that a guy replaced the battery and it went away. I don't drive my vehicle very much and my battery was now two years old. I don't think with my driving habits that the battery was getting a full charge. If the battery is not fully charged, it's going to have problems starting up all the systems this car requires. When the issue was happening with me, it would begin when I started the car. It would take a few cranks to kick over and then after I hit the road, the stabilitrac would light up and the engine seemed like it was missing. I replaced the battery 3 weeks ago and I haven't had any issues since and I've been driving the hell out of it. (It was happening once a month so I've got some more miles to put on it before I can say the replacing of the battery is the true fix).
CamaroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote