Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #43
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Tag's is the full deal - big tube headers, cats and mufflers.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #44
Visual_Perfection

Drives: '02 Bonneville SLE
Sounds good, and I don't want to be the first negative comment on this, but $200 to just cut off the mufflers and weld pipe in place of them? Sorry but you could get a much more refined sound with the purchase of 2 "pick your brand" mufflers for around that price.

We had a custom fully mandrel bent stainless exhaust done on our '69 SS Convertible from headers back that even goes up and over the rear axle for under $300 (not including the hooker mufflers). A good exhaust shop that does mandrel bending will easily be able to bend those two short section of pipes and attach them and have them look even, etc.. I know the shop we go to (I have used him for every vehicle I have owned and my Dad has since he was younger) has REASONABLE prices.. I know I'm lucky to know of a shop that doesn't charge you more than they should but I still feel bad for people paying $200 to do something like this. In my opinion from all the exhaust work I have had done on over half a dozen vehicles, I feel you should be able to have this muffler delete and striaght pipe done at a shop for no more than $100.

So yes, if I had to personally spend $200 to have this done, I would go with 2 mufflers for that price to give it a more refined sound, but since it is a job that should be able to be done for $100, it is definately an inexpensive way to make the car sound a bit better.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #45
96rss/ls6
Inferno is the only color

Drives: 96 ls6 camaro, iom 2ss/rss /
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Tag's is the full deal - big tube headers, cats and mufflers.
Yeah then thats why. Bet that was expensive
Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #46
96rss/ls6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual_Perfection View Post
Sounds good, and I don't want to be the first negative comment on this, but $200 to just cut off the mufflers and weld pipe in place of them? Sorry but you could get a much more refined sound with the purchase of 2 "pick your brand" mufflers for around that price.

We had a custom fully mandrel bent stainless exhaust done on our '69 SS Convertible from headers back for like $265 (not including the hooker mufflers). A good exhaust shop that does mandrel bending will easily be able to bend those two short section of pipes and attach them and have them look even, etc.. I know the shop we go to (I have used him for ever vehicle I have owned and my Dad has since he was younger) has great reasonable prices.. I guess I feel bad for people paying $200 to do something like this. In my opinion from all the exhaust work I have had done on over half a dozen vehicles, I feel you should be able to have this muffler delete and striaght pipe done at a shop for no more than $100.

So yes, if I had to personally spend $200 to have this done, I would go with 2 mufflers for that price to give it a more refined sound, but since it is a job that should be able to be done for $100, it is definately an inexpensive way to make the car sound a bit better.
Yeah I just talked to my guy here and he said he could do it for like 40 or 50 bucks
Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #47
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
To answer some of the above questions. No I am not selling these. I posted this as a cost effective option that utilizes the already good quality tuned pipes the car comes with. The interior sound level does not really change much with the windows up unless you are in a tunnel or garage that is reflecting the sound back to you. The sound inside is prior to the removal of stock mufflers coming from the resonators anyway and this mod does not change any of that. But like someone said. If you want quiet this is not the mod for you. When you are on it, it will roar. But if you are mellow it stays pretty mellow with you. The length of video was limited because I had to email them to Hylton to post on You Tube. Not a computer geek and was kinda clueless. Look all I can say is you can have your pipe tech cut the pipe right before it goes into the muffler. Drop your mufflers down slightly and take a listen before completing your install. If you dont like just have him weld them back or install one of the high dollar kits. If you do like then proceed with the install of new straight pipe. Oh there was a queston about centering and the hangers. GM has a new hanger that is awesome on the camaro. It is a two hole hanger with a flat bar to keep wobble to a minimum. And yes they are but one component of a properly aligned system. The factory tips are another. To get the angles right make sure to take pics before and use them as a guide for placement of the final fit. Good luck
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #48
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
If you can get it done for cheaper and you are happy with the results, more power to you. I think the main point here is that Camaro buyers have an inexpensive option to have a custom sounding exhaust for very cheap. I am going to consider this just to show off the IRS to the Mustang that pulls in behind me at night.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #49
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rss/ls6 View Post
Yeah I just talked to my guy here and he said he could do it for like 40 or 50 bucks
That would be even better. It took a couple hours with one guy and a helper at the time of welding. about 6 ft of pipe and about 3 ft of 3/8" steel for hangers and one zawzaw metal blade. If you go to a shop with a good lift and a good pipe man I dont think that 75 per man hour is unreasonable. I am sure if a guy works for 10 to15 per hour it could be done way cheaper. I just felt good about the quality and know that I got a good deal for the money. But If you can get it done even cheaper.....I dont see that as a negative post....I see that as a positive contribution....Right on dude.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #50
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Sounds really good!

I'm all for cheap mods that actually work well.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #51
96rss/ls6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
That would be even better. It took a couple hours with one guy and a helper at the time of welding. about 6 ft of pipe and about 3 ft of 3/8" steel for hangers and one zawzaw metal blade. If you go to a shop with a good lift and a good pipe man I dont think that 75 per man hour is unreasonable. I am sure if a guy works for 10 to15 per hour it could be done way cheaper. I just felt good about the quality and know that I got a good deal for the money. But If you can get it done even cheaper.....I dont see that as a negative post....I see that as a positive contribution....Right on dude.
yeah I didnt mean it as a cut on anyone else. Ive just known the guy for years,and he has done remarkable work on all my vehicles, Im not kepping him all to myself Ive already offered 2 guys in my area the deal to go up there with me. Just trying to help. Ive been a camaro guy for a long time and love to help others get there rides hooked up.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #52
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
did it to my rumble bee abotu a year ago and prob will do it to the camaro hooked up to long tubes and no cat
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #53
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
The drone will drive you nuts!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #54
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
The drone will drive you nuts!
if your a pansy it will
Old 05-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #55
Cmyskill
17 ZL1 what a car....

Drives: 2021 M S PLAID, 2017 ZL1 A10 White
Send a message via AIM to Cmyskill
Hey thanks for the videos.... and the post. I love when people post and give all the info with video. Thanks again....

Cmyskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #56
camaroqueen
Jules11 is home!

Drives: 2SS/RS/M-6 RJT/BLK 'Vert
Send a message via AIM to camaroqueen
camaroqueen is offline   Reply With Quote