Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Studbuster?

2011 1LT... 68,000 miles. I've had no problems with it, even though I drive it hard... very hard. I commute every day on winding mountain roads, and spend a lot of that time drifting, and breaking triple digits. Don't judge me.

No problems, that is, other than four studs down in the past few months. Four. I don't see a good reason for my studs to keep breaking. A few months ago, while having new tires installed (yep, you guessed it: New tires happens a lot for me), the shop found/ discovered/ created two broken studs. This was a Mom 'n' Pop shop that I frequent, and they hooked me up by fixing it, at no charge to me (Hey, I always tip them very well).

Yesterday, having my dealership- special oil change (hey, it was a sale price... don't judge me), they discovered ANOTHER two broken studs. Same two wheels as a couple of months ago... no idea if it's the SAME lugs/ lug positions, but it was one front passenger side, and one rear driver side... same as the last time. (It should be noted that the dealership now wants over $300 for the repair to be completed by them... HA!!! Already took it in to Mom 'n' Pop, since they know how to do it, and they'll do both for under $60 total, parts included).

Studs shouldn't ever break... but now I'm looking at four total, in less than six months. I don't live in crazy temps (lows in the teens, highs barely in triple digits), so I doubt that's a factor. My hard driving style might be hard on lots of parts of the car, but studs should be the last things still intact after I drive the rest of the car into the ground. Studs should be the nuclear holocaust cockroaches, the Twinkies of 2050. If I were TRYING to break studs, I couldn't, no matter what tools I was given. I just can't figure out how/ why studs are failing.

I'm running Heritage rims... (I know, it's getting hard not to judge!). I have them painted, so they look a lot better, in my opinion, that the plain black. But... my point is, these are not some odd aftermarket wheel, I'm not using spacers, haven't made any alterations/ mods to the wheels, hubs, brakes, suspension, anything. I'm so stock it hurts.

So... anybody else got stud problems? Ladies, you know how NOT to answer that one. Theories, ideas?

Last edited by Scalded Dog; 03-18-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Studs break all the time, I've worked in a few shops in my time . I am willing to bet money that the tech broke the studs in both cases and wants to charge you to cover it up. Broken studs can be caused by over torqueing the lugs, and a lot of shops do this by just putting the lugs on with a 800ftlb impact gun....
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Also, telling people to not judge you multiple times in one post is a great way to get labeled, lol
Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Well I live in Yucaipa and I drive the back roads to Big bear and Oak Glenn a lot...

Not issues here. But I know Hwy 38 can be hard on cars.

Never heard of studs breaking though....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Hwy. 18 is my usual stomping ground... but, yes, 38, 138, and 330 are also on the menu.

And, speaking of familiar stomping grounds, TXBandit, I used to live on Custer Hill... was the 1-16 Inf. barracks at the time, no idea if that unit is still there or not. Been nearly 20 years since I ETSed from there!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Hwy. 18 is my usual stomping ground... but, yes, 38, 138, and 330 are also on the menu.

And, speaking of familiar stomping grounds, TXBandit, I used to live on Custer Hill... was the 1-16 Inf. barracks at the time, no idea if that unit is still there or not. Been nearly 20 years since I ETSed from there!
Yup, 1-16IN is still here, I deployed to Iraq with 1-18IN (2nd BDE) in 2010. Now I'm in the Combat Aviation Brigade.