Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
CBuchkoski

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT1
Exclamation P0008 Timing Issue

I don't seem to be finding a definitive answer to my question on here anywhere...

38K miles on 2010 LT1 (V6) with same timing issue I see posted all over the site....anyone actually taken this problem in and had it resolved because of the >100K mile drive train warranty or something else? I see people state it SHOULD be, but I want to know if it IS covered...

Thank you,
Chris B
CBuchkoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Yes people have had it covered warranty. If you have a ton of mods and your dealer is a dick then there might be issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
CBuchkoski

Thank you,

No mods and haven't had the car for a year yet (purchased used)
Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
CBuchkoski

Angry UPDATE

All I got for my trouble of taking the car in for P0008 was a bill for $152.05. They reset the computer as they were advised (not covered under drive train warranty for some reason) and then promptly charged me for diagnostic care. I had known coming into the dealership what code it is and the meaning so why do I get stuck with the bill?

Now they explain to me that should the light come back on, the work on the timing belt would be covered...WHY NOT THE ECU??? 38K miles, that should not be an issue. Seriously rethinking my devotion to GM products after this debacle.

Chris B
Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
htoniv

Drives: Camaro
ooh man that sucks... if the code should be under power train then you shouldn't have been charged.. if the light comes back then they should Fully refund your money right then? because that would mean the original diagnostic was false and the timing belt is covered in warranty therefore u should get ur money back.
htoniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Classic stretched timing chain issue. Its covered.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
CBuchkoski

The dealership acknowledged that the issues between the drive train chain and the ECU (which the upgrade is basically designed for) are likely interrelated, but they claim they are handicapped by some chart given to them outlining coverage wherein the ECU is not listed. I am in contact with customer support and they have escalated the situation to a district representative...I'll keep posting on the situation so others can have an idea of what to expect while I wait to see if my chain finally gives out

Last edited by CBuchkoski; 06-04-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: can't spell apparently
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Some have had the ECU re-flashed / upgraded only to have the code come back shortly after.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
CBuchkoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Some have had the ECU re-flashed / upgraded only to have the code come back shortly after.
Yep, and I see a lot of others who have had the chain break or it lasts just past the 100K warranty...good times

Quote:
Originally Posted by htoniv View Post
ooh man that sucks... if the code should be under power train then you shouldn't have been charged.. if the light comes back then they should Fully refund your money right then? because that would mean the original diagnostic was false and the timing belt is covered in warranty therefore u should get ur money back.
I asked the dealership what happens if the code should happen to appear again in roughly 30K more miles. Their response was that it would be treated as a new issue and we would start again at the beginning :-( Essentially, it appears I am on a countdown to any real coverage...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
CBuchkoski

After speaking with customer service via phone, the situation is fairly clear in that nothing will be done. The District Representative (Stephanie) basically contacted the dealership and repeated verbatim what they said to me with no apparent research done outside of that source. Her explanation "Sir, this was a computer issue and not a timing issue...there is nothing wrong with your timing chain. If it were a timing issue it would be covered by your warranty, but the computer is only covered up to 36K miles"

NOTHING WRONG WITH TIMING??? (keep in mind, the dealership acknowledged the connection between the 2 issues)

P0008 code on Camaro

Definition- Engine position system performance bank 1

Explanation- The ECM has detected both camshafts on bank 1 are misaligned with the crankshaft for more than 4 seconds

Probable cause(s)- Loose mechanical timing component; Jumped mechanical timing

The reality is, they do not know if the chain is stretched because it was not checked due to their prescribed behavior of changing the computer. After repeating this several times, the representative finally did acknowledge this fact. However, as soon as my point was made, she asked if I had another issue to discuss....Hmm. We have a computer changed to fix an error for TIMING, yet the computer is beyond coverage because it is simply not the chain....sounds like GM is trying to buy time for coverage to end so we get stuck with the bill. NICE
Old 07-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
CBuchkoski

Although the process is not what I would describe as smooth, an agreeable solution has been presented to me via the online support team on here. Thank you.