Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
NateHodor

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS w/ RS Package
New Rotors (Front left Squeaking)

Hey Guys

Put some hawk performance ceramic pads on last December when I was changing to my winter tire setup (19" for the winter, 20" for the summer). I bought these since the "roller skate" stock brake pads wouldn't let me put the wheel on. Got them installed and things were fine. 7 months later my front left starts squeaking occasionally, now its everday. There is a small groove torwards the center of the rotor, and there are burn marks all over the rotor (common ceramic pad problem?). Should I get these resurfaced, or just buy some replacement rotors and smooth out the ceramic pads? I could also cut off the skates (I kept the old pads) and put them on the new rotors? Any help would be great since the shop said they would re-surface (not sure on the cost yet for that) and I'm not sure if that is worth it.

Should I replace the rotors myself? I'm pretty techincal being an engineer, so just looking to gauge the risk of doing it myself.

Thanks guys
NateHodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
you'll need to take off the glazing off the rotors, if they are true? Sand them down. with 300 grit. if the grooves are too deep resurface or replace. But try to sand them first.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
1WILDSScmrg

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS inferno orange
I had to get all new rotors and pads today because they were shot. i had 41,000 miles on mine though. My dealership is putting everything on for 75 bucks.
1WILDSScmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I would have them turned and put on new pads. Hawks may even be under warranty (Worth a shot) definetly do the works your self! Not hard and good to get your hands dirty every now and then.
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, pads, rotors, squeaking, squealing