Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Considering a V6 Camaro... New guy on the forum...

Hey everyone,

My name is Kevin and I just jumped over here from www.cobaltss.net (the Cobalt Enthusiast's forum). I'm definitely liking the Camaro more and more every time that I see it. Even some of the people from css.net were talking about how much they like it including myself. I currently drive a 06 Cobalt SS Supercharged. I'm actually leasing it and she goes back next summer. I was originally planning on just buying the 09 Cobalt SS Turbocharged, but seeing that they are planning on putting the same goodies in the V6 Camaro (DI, VVT 3.6L 300hp V6), that they have with the (DI, VVT 2.0L LNF) new turbocharged Cobalt SS, I'm definitely going to be waiting to see how much they price the Camaro LT. I'm definitely considering getting a Camaro LT w RS package over the Cobalt SS/TC now...

My only concern as of right now is how much the Camaro LT w RS will cost & how it performs vs the Cobalt SS/TC.

Granted I'll happily pay 5-6 grand more just to get the V6 Camaro even if it performs marginally less than a SS/TC, the awesome looks, RWD, and unique interior hands down make it look better to me than the Cobalt.

Just wondering what any of you know about the Camaro V6, and if you've heard anything on its aftermarket potential?

I read the posts about those of you considering converting the V6 to F.I. and I can def say that I was wondering that too.

And yeah, hopefully the aftermarket segment offers some decent amount of performance for the V6 Camaro like CAI's, headers, cat-back exhausts, tunes, etc...

Thanks guys!
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
there is a link around here somewhere showing how a caddy with the same engine got another 40 hp at the wheels with just an Intake, tune, and catback. That's probably going to be similar to the camaro. I'm sure there will be a ton of stuff offered from everyone and I'm really interested in seeing how SLP will get back into the game. SEMA will be a sight to behold for sure
Old 09-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Evidence points to the Cobalt SS turbo being faster than the Camaro LS. The Cobalt has less weight and more aerodynamics to give it an advantage. At the same time, the Camaro is more responsive to modifications than the Cobalt. The Camaro style cannot be matched in the Cobalt.

The pricing will be very close for both cars, but expect add-ons to bring the price of the Camaro above the Cobalt.

It's good to have another compact owner considering stepping up to the pony class.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I don't think in terms of handling they will be similar. That goes without saying

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Sup! Welcome to the site, Kevin. Since we have a few Cobalt owners around here too, I suspect you'll get some great answers.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
there is a link around here somewhere showing how a caddy with the same engine got another 40 hp at the wheels with just an Intake, tune, and catback. That's probably going to be similar to the camaro. I'm sure there will be a ton of stuff offered from everyone and I'm really interested in seeing how SLP will get back into the game. SEMA will be a sight to behold for sure
Wow... really? 40whp off of just an intake, tune and cat-back huh? That's impressive and seems to indicate that the 3.6L DI VVT V6 has potential, and that's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Evidence points to the Cobalt SS turbo being faster than the Camaro LS. The Cobalt has less weight and more aerodynamics to give it an advantage. At the same time, the Camaro is more responsive to modifications than the Cobalt. The Camaro style cannot be matched in the Cobalt.

The pricing will be very close for both cars, but expect add-ons to bring the price of the Camaro above the Cobalt.

It's good to have another compact owner considering stepping up to the pony class.
Right. I know stock for stock the Cobalt SS/TC will perform better than the Camaro V6, it weighs almost 600lbs less, is smaller, and probably has a better power/weight ratio.

As far as aftermarket potential goes, after doing such mods like a down-pipe, cat-back, HP tuners, CAI, intercooler upgrade, people are getting 300whp 350wtq. Soon turbo upgrades will be offered for the Cobalt and it'll see gains as high as the the mid to high 300's in HP & Torque. Granted those are probably approaching the limits of the stock internals, and good luck getting anywhere near that to the ground with FWD, where FWD cars really are at a disadvantage hooking up with all that power.

Now seeing that the Cobalt is seeing its last year or two or production before the Cruze replaces it there may not be too many more mods coming out for it seeing that it ceases production soon.

Even if the Camaro is slightly slower stock vs the Cobalt SS like I said the fact that it's RWD, 10x better interior compared to a Cobalt, and ultimate performance potential makes it worth the initial sacrifice in performance... (unless I get a SS...)

And seeing that the Camaro as Feb of 09 will be seeing its re-birth and new beginning I'm sure there will be plenty aftermarket performance for it as there were with the previous gen Camaros...

Thank you. I'm definitely planning on upgrading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I don't think in terms of handling they will be similar. That goes without saying
Well consider this. The Camaro SS lapped the Nurburgring in 8.20 seconds... The Cobalt SS Turbocharged lapped it in 8.22 seconds... The FWD 4cyl Cobalt only was two seconds slower than the V8 Camaro... Granted the Cobalt SS/TC is an abnormal little car and the FE3 suspension helps, but ultimately especially on a track RWD > FWD.

I think with time when the aftermarket industry starts offering a lot for the Camaro I think I'll have made the right decision by switching from the Cobalt to the Camaro...

Thanks for your comments so far!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Sup! Welcome to the site, Kevin. Since we have a few Cobalt owners around here too, I suspect you'll get some great answers.
Thank you! I'm very curious to see what they have to say seeing they are probably in the same situation I am!

Camaro > Cobalt
Old 09-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post

I seriously doubt that the V6 engine is more responsive to modifications. Any FI car is always more responsive b/c you have another element to play with...boost. I was recently in the tuning business for Subaru and let me tell you that there is way more potential in a turbo'd car % gain over % gain then a NA car.

The reason is that for very little money you can run catless uppipes downpipes a larger intercooler and a bigger turbo. For about $2000-3000 we had stock Legacy GTs running 350 All wheel HP. And that is a small 2.5 4 banger. That put the legacy in the very low 12's for next to nothing and that is awd too. If it didn't have that drivetrain loss it would have been like 370 at the wheels. But can you say 1.6 60' times on stock rubber

I think there is a ton of potential in that new cobalt SS. That ecotec 2.0 is a great engine. With ECU tweaking you get a lot more out of FI then NA. Im not putting down the V6 or V8 camaro but I bet for the same money you could get a much better ET out of the Cobalt then the V6.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
I seriously doubt that the V6 engine is more responsive to modifications. Any FI car is always more responsive b/c you have another element to play with...boost. I was recently in the tuning business for Subaru and let me tell you that there is way more potential in a turbo'd car % gain over % gain then a NA car.

The reason is that for very little money you can run catless uppipes downpipes a larger intercooler and a bigger turbo. For about $2000-3000 we had stock Legacy GTs running 350 All wheel HP. And that is a small 2.5 4 banger. That put the legacy in the very low 12's for next to nothing and that is awd too. If it didn't have that drivetrain loss it would have been like 370 at the wheels. But can you say 1.6 60' times on stock rubber

I think there is a ton of potential in that new cobalt SS. That ecotec 2.0 is a great engine. With ECU tweaking you get a lot more out of FI then NA. Im not putting down the V6 or V8 camaro but I bet for the same money you could get a much better ET out of the Cobalt then the V6.
I think you may have missed a very important point here when comparing the Cobalt SS to the Camaro v6 and how well they take to mods. You've already got a turbo on the Cobalt but you don't have it on the Camaro. Add a turbo or SC to the Camaro and then talk about responsiveness to mods.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post

That's the predicament I'm in... I know if I did get the Cobalt SS Turbocharged, with 2-3k in mods, I'd be making 350+ WHP. Granted it's a lot for cheap, and yeah the LNF will probably have more potential than the V6, problem is getting all that power down. The Cobalt SS, Mazdaspeed 3 Neon/Caliber SRT-4's can be roll monsters, and there's enough evidence of them on streetfire.net taking on V8 Camaros, Mustangs, T/A's even vettes...

But I think roll racing is stupid anyways. Race from a dig like real men do right? Or on the track...

Granted the potential with the V8 is a lot greater and then I'd say turbo 4 < V8.

All I know is that there's going to be sacrifices and benefits going from the Cobalt SS Turbocharged to a V6 Camaro (depending on Camaro SS price... maybe...)

But heck I'd be satisfied with making even 40-70hp more in mods just off the V6 in a RWD Camaro, would be much better than in a FWD car...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Wow... really? 40whp off of just an intake, tune and cat-back huh? That's impressive and seems to indicate that the 3.6L DI VVT V6 has potential, and that's good to know.
I do believe there was a little misquoting going on. First of all: WELCOME!! I hope you enjoy the site! Second; The intake and exhaust treatment gave a 31 rwhp gain in the 3.6DI. It was rounded off to 40 bhp for conversation's sake. Still...this is WITHOUT a tune. I think that speaks volumes about the V6's potential.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=cadillac

Quote:
Well consider this. The Camaro SS lapped the Nurburgring in 8.20 seconds... The Cobalt SS Turbocharged lapped it in 8.22 seconds... The FWD 4cyl Cobalt only was two seconds slower than the V8 Camaro... Granted the Cobalt SS/TC is an abnormal little car and the FE3 suspension helps, but ultimately especially on a track RWD > FWD.

I think with time when the aftermarket industry starts offering a lot for the Camaro I think I'll have made the right decision by switching from the Cobalt to the Camaro...

Thanks for your comments so far!
The Cobalt's a great car. I know: I have one. But I think the Camaro is the overall better package where performance and style are concerned. I can't remember id the 8:20 number for the 'Ring was an official time (can anyone back help me out here?)...most of me wants to say it wasn't.

Glad to have you around here, and I'm sure you won't be disapointed by getting a Camaro!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I can't remember id the 8:20 number for the 'Ring was an official time (can anyone back help me out here?)...most of me wants to say it wasn't.
From what I remember it wasn't. Beyond that it was just a lap to help in developmental stage tuning and they had to battle numerous snow squalls on they way. I'd expect an official run to be a few seconds faster, maybe by at least 10.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Yeah, no idea whether or not it was official, it was just the only # that I think is out there as of right now for the Camaro SS's "gring" lap time.

Yeah, it certainly does look like the V6 has some promise to it. Of course I'm going to look into pricing the SS, but even after the GM employee discount if it's still a little steep, I'll happily settle for the LT + RS package...

Personally, I'm not expecting to get like 400hp out of the V6, even if a turbo does come out and actually is safe to use... tested... etc.

Ok it was 31whp between the CAI, and cat-back.. Thanks for clarifying that. Still impressive!

I'd be happy if I was even getting 350-370hp after a CAI, Cat-back, headers, tune, etc...

Just something that's decently quick... And isn't FWD like the Cobalt would make me happy...
Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
The new Cobalt SS is one of the best handling FWD cars around. But the Camaro V6 is RWD and will feel much more fun, plus it looks way better IMO.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote