Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
LS1owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS- SOLD!!
Winter Driving in the N.E.?

What a winter.,.glad I sold my LS1...it was NOT the best car for this type of crazy winter...

So who has been driving the new SS up in the blizzards, ice storms, etc? How has it handled? Snow tires? no snow tires? How much snow have you driven in? I'm Camaro-less for 2 months now (had my LS1 as a 3rd car, sold it) and I've been on the forum again kicking it around once spring comes.
LS1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
just went through 21 inches dumped on us in NE Oklahoma and my 1LT drove just fine on ICe and Snow.
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm View Post
just went through 21 inches dumped on us in NE Oklahoma and my 1LT drove just fine on ICe and Snow.
and what kind of tires are you running lol. try doing that with the stock summer tires lol
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Stock summer Pirelli tires, only driven when the roads are clear.
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
My LT/RS is a daily driver and I've driven it through the last 2 winters with no problems. I've got the Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice Tires on her. She been driven through the worst of the storms New England has thrown at me. I can't vouch for the SS but my V6 has been a GREAT winter car with the proper tires on her.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
All about the tires with any car.

That said, Stabilitrac and an excellent weight balance make for an amazing winter driving vehicle, despite the RWD.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
cowjazz

Drives: 2010 2SS
Stock Perelli summer tires here in North Texas with over 2" of ice and snow on the roads, and he car performed like any other car I have owned.

I really don't understand the "You will die if you drive your Camaro in the snow" banter.
cowjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
I have the 18 inch BF Goodrich Radial T/A Specs that came with the car.
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowjazz View Post
Stock Perelli summer tires here in North Texas with over 2" of ice and snow on the roads, and he car performed like any other car I have owned.

I really don't understand the "You will die if you drive your Camaro in the snow" banter.
Dude, I suggest you play the lottery and do it NOW cause I think God has shined down favorably on you and made you one of the chosen few.The only accidents my dept has handled with Camaros in the winter weather have been on stock PZeros. After the first snow fall here, I had 2 different friends call me screaming about where they could get all seasons or snow tires for their SS's. Personally, mine will not come out unless the roads are clean and dry, but I am blessed with that option.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1owner View Post
What a winter.,.glad I sold my LS1...it was NOT the best car for this type of crazy winter...

So who has been driving the new SS up in the blizzards, ice storms, etc? How has it handled? Snow tires? no snow tires? How much snow have you driven in? I'm Camaro-less for 2 months now (had my LS1 as a 3rd car, sold it) and I've been on the forum again kicking it around once spring comes.
I had a 98 Z28 and an 02 SS LS1's and they sucked in the snow. I am a Boston driver. My '10SS is in my garage and with the snow tire money plus a little more I bought a 2001 Buick Century. Great move, my SS is safe and the Buick goes through the snow like a Snocat.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
kelsanova

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS IOM/blk rally
Stock Perelli tires in a harsh Nebraska winter with 2SS. Had a couple big storms, just threw some sand bags from Menards in the truck and drove. Tried to keep her off the roads as much as possible, but when I drove it was about what you would expect, so-so. Again, tires are key!
kelsanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I have only seen 2 Camaro ss's out and about since November in Spokane area.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
The SS will swing it's back end quite a bit if you give it more than say 20% throttle in 1-2 seconds if there is snow on the ground. However traction control/stabilitrak seems to work well and put the car back in line if you don't release the throttle yourself.

The car is slow off the line because you can't give it ANY gas if the roads aren't cleared, but if you drive w/o applying much throttle, you won't slip on any turns. The snow tires do grip pretty well and starting on a hill with snow isn't a problem either. I haven't found a situation yet where I was stuck on ice or snow.

I've got 275mm Pirelli Scorpions on the back, so that may be causing some of my problems. They say the more narrow the tire the better. I will probably be going more narrow (245mm) when I need to replace my tires next. But they are right about more pressure being applied with narrow tires. My wife's econo-car weighs less than mine but has 175mm tires and whenever the driveway has snow on it, her car cuts through the snow better and leaves hard crushed snow on the driveway whereas my car seems not to pack the snow as much, I'm assuming due to weight distribution over the larger surface area.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
The PZERO's are good in the cold for me. After a short drive they become warm to the touch and behave normally even in single digit weather.

Absolute garbage in the snow though. I thought I could macho it out but forget it. In our last storm I could not feather the throttle lightly enough to keep the wheels from spinning. This morning I hit a patch of mush mid-corner. Might as well have been an oil slick.

So long as the roads are black you should be fine.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote