Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #2143
Les7311

Drives: 2017 Zl1 (M6)
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
'scribed..
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #2144
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I took my camaro in for an oil change a couple weeks ago. They didn't even mention anything to me about this recall.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #2145
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
got my letter yesterday..put it on my pile of list of things to do...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #2146
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
I would love to sign a waiver, but the dealerships in the area are telling me they have no waivers for me to sign. I have been told that some Camaro's have the option to sign the waiver, but depending on the VIN, you may not have this option. I need to have some warranty work done (not related to the ignition) but they are saying that once they get my car, they would not release it until they have swapped the keys. No waiver option.

I called GM and they started by saying the recall was optional. Then they said that if I refused to have the recall performed, that they would not honor my warranty... Please help me make sense of this...

I have sent a PM to the Chevy Customer Svc user on this site as well. Waiting for a response there as well.
You need to find a new dealership.....and I can't believe GM told you that if you refuse an OPTIONAL recall that they will not honor other warranty work without the key modification....one thing has nothing to do with the other. Who at GM did you talk to?

The dealer who told you that they would not release your car after doing OTHER warranty work unless you had the keys modified is a TOOL.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #2147
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I kind of doubt they did that. Given what the "fix" is, its more likely some engineer or designer at GM was taking a pee at a urinal and asked the guy cleaning the bathroom what his thoughts on the subject were. Then they went with his idea. Because it was simple and required no technical know how to come up with or execute.
This post is offensive to both engineers and janitors.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #2148
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
September 4. Still no letter or OnStar notification.

Brilliant.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #2149
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
One thing about the recall letters. If you bought your car used there will probably be a delay in getting your letter because the original purchaser may get the letter. If that person does get the letter and does not inform GM they no longer own the car then it will cause an even longer delay for the current owner to get his letter.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #2150
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I received the same air bag recall letter two times in two weeks. But haven't seen nor heard of the key recall except on here. Until I get it, I am going to ignore it.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #2151
jimbow

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro - RIP 10/3/2021
I got my key recall letter on the 2nd.
Its gonna need an oil change in a month - I'll ask if its required when I go in for an oil change in Oct.
I need to get some ideas on how to get them to test the auto trans per the TSB since complaining of weird shifts is not working.
jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #2152
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
One thing about the recall letters. If you bought your car used there will probably be a delay in getting your letter because the original purchaser may get the letter. If that person does get the letter and does not inform GM they no longer own the car then it will cause an even longer delay for the current owner to get his letter.
I'm the original owner, living at the original address, and still no letter.

What really puzzles me is why GM doesn't use OnStar to contact owners. If the key fob is really a safety issue, you would think OnStar would be the logical choice.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #2153
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I'm the 2nd owner and bought the car 7/11/14 and still no letter. Oh well. It isn't like I was going to have them do it.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #2154
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I'm the original owner, living at the original address, and still no letter.

What really puzzles me is why GM doesn't use OnStar to contact owners. If the key fob is really a safety issue, you would think OnStar would be the logical choice.
Are you still an Onstar subscriber?
I got an email from Onstar first, and one from the dealer the same day. That is when I took mine in. Then a couple days ago I got the recall letter.
Maybe they are working backwards on the VIN numbers. Newest first going back to the oldest.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #2155
keving2873

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I heard back from a couple dealerships today. The one I started at (originally saying they would not perform warranty work without also performing this recall) said they had a form for me to sign, getting me out of the recall. As a result, I am now scheduled to have my starter replaced under warranty, and I will be keeping my switchblades.

I got a call back from another dealership as well. Their GM zone rep told them that the waiver was no longer an option (as of about 3 weeks ago) because the legal department told them they could not do that. However, they said a customer could still refuse the recall, they would simply be asked everytime they went in for service. They would not withhold warranty work because the recall had not been performed.

I think that was the single biggest problem I had was that the dealership (and the GM rep I spoke to on the phone) seems to be trying to force me into the recall and withholding warranty work until it was completed. How they thought this was possible on what they themselves called an "optional" recall, I will never understand.

I would like to thank William, the Chevy Customer Service rep from this forum, who helped me get to the bottom of this problem. I beleive the work he did for me was what ultimately resolved the issue with the dealership, so thank you William!
Custom Comp Cam 231/234 114LSA 617/598 lift, Katech timing chain
Apex Catch-can
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
20" Niche Essen's wrapped in Michelin PSS 315/295
keving2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #2156
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
I heard back from a couple dealerships today. The one I started at (originally saying they would not perform warranty work without also performing this recall) said they had a form for me to sign, getting me out of the recall. As a result, I am now scheduled to have my starter replaced under warranty, and I will be keeping my switchblades.

I got a call back from another dealership as well. Their GM zone rep told them that the waiver was no longer an option (as of about 3 weeks ago) because the legal department told them they could not do that. However, they said a customer could still refuse the recall, they would simply be asked everytime they went in for service. They would not withhold warranty work because the recall had not been performed.

I think that was the single biggest problem I had was that the dealership (and the GM rep I spoke to on the phone) seems to be trying to force me into the recall and withholding warranty work until it was completed. How they thought this was possible on what they themselves called an "optional" recall, I will never understand.

I would like to thank William, the Chevy Customer Service rep from this forum, who helped me get to the bottom of this problem. I beleive the work he did for me was what ultimately resolved the issue with the dealership, so thank you William!
Glad you got to the bottom of this... Seems like each dealer is making up his own rule on this.

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall