Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #57
1lecamaro5

Drives: 2014 SW 1SS W/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just plain Bill View Post
The pin is a 1/16" roll pin 3/8" long. Ace hardware sell them
I did the reversal today on one of two sets of keys. The roll pin is 1/16" by 5/16" on mine. I did buy the 3/8" since the hardware store didn't have 5/16". I shaved off about 1/16" from the length, as the key would not flip in or out. Now it works like a charm...just need to make sure the car starts, but from reading these posts, there's no reason for that not to happen.
1lecamaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #58
Blueraycamaro

Drives: 2013 2LT RS camaro
I had my co-worker put the key back in the keyfob, he did say that he saw a chip in the plastic of the new. After putting the new key in the keyfob, I started the car with no problem.
Blueraycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #59
ac223mal

Drives: car
I need help. Can anyone provide pictures of how the key (after being removed from the plastic) is attached to the fob? How is the roll pin (where is it?) taken out? I don't understand how the key from the plastic fills this. The metal piece is cut off where the gap is and the metal piece does not pop out when I push the button.

Last edited by ac223mal; 09-25-2017 at 04:30 PM.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #60
camarocruzer

Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
pm'd.

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:01 AM   #61
ac223mal

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
pm'd.
Got it done, thank you for the help!
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #62
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Just a couple of thoughts.
If you have the dealer parts dept. order a FOB using the VIN# of your car, they come in pre-cut. I had to show the parts guy my registration and driver's license to prove it was really my car. I ordered 2 for $50 a piece, 3 years ago and I think they are even cheaper now. You can program them yourself, it's a piece of cake. I assumed that GM would shut this process down once they issued the recall, but I've been told it still works. I'm pointing this out because if locksmiths are charging $25 to cut them and you can buy a whole new fob pre-cut for $50 or less, it might be cheaper to go this way.
The other thing is, you can buy uncut key fob "cases" on e-bay for as little as $7. It's a complete fob with an uncut key minus the electronic circuit board. All you have to do is transfer the circuit board to it and have it cut and you're good to go.
Either one of these options would allow you to have intact key fobs AND intact recall keys.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #63
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Just a couple of thoughts.
If you have the dealer parts dept. order a FOB using the VIN# of your car, they come in pre-cut. I had to show the parts guy my registration and driver's license to prove it was really my car. I ordered 2 for $50 a piece, 3 years ago and I think they are even cheaper now. You can program them yourself, it's a piece of cake. I assumed that GM would shut this process down once they issued the recall, but I've been told it still works. I'm pointing this out because if locksmiths are charging $25 to cut them and you can buy a whole new fob pre-cut for $50 or less, it might be cheaper to go this way.
The other thing is, you can buy uncut key fob "cases" on e-bay for as little as $7. It's a complete fob with an uncut key minus the electronic circuit board. All you have to do is transfer the circuit board to it and have it cut and you're good to go.
Either one of these options would allow you to have intact key fobs AND intact recall keys.
No need to get the recall done. It's not mandatory, and the labor item that indicates that was declined has been deleted.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #64
Recks86

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Just did it, car started just fine.
Recks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #65
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
FYI, each FOB as well as each key has an RFID chip in it. Your car can remember 4 or more keys (some sources say 6, other 8 but it's 4 or more regardless). When they do the recall they simply add the 2 new keys to the cars memory so you have 4 keys memorized.

All you need to do is either order 2 new key blanks (I ordered these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141251541461 you need to make sure you are getting a proper blank, these work) and have a local locksmith cut and install them or find a local locksmith that has the blanks.

I called around and found the locksmith the dealer uses. He has the proper cutting machine as well as access to the GM database. He charged me $40 to cut and install both blanks. I now have 4 functioning keys with no need to cut, glue or otherwise dismember the factory keys.

Last edited by mjw930; 01-12-2015 at 07:29 AM.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #66
dmaxwellh

Drives: 2015 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
FYI, each FOB as well as each key has an RFID chip in it. Your car can remember up to 8 individual keys. When they do the recall they simply add the 2 new keys to the cars memory so you have 4 keys memorized.

All you need to do is either order 2 new key blanks (I ordered these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141251541461 you need to make sure you are getting a proper blank, these work) and have a local locksmith cut and install them or find a local locksmith that has the blanks.

I called around and found the locksmith the dealer uses. He has the proper cutting machine as well as access to the GM database. He charged me $40 to cut and install both blanks. I now have 4 functioning keys with no need to cut, glue or otherwise dismember the factory keys.

I purchased two new blanks with the pins. I have not been able to locate a locksmith able to laser cut the keys here in Orange County, NY... Bummer...
dmaxwellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #67
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
No need to get the recall done. It's not mandatory, and the labor item that indicates that was declined has been deleted.
Yeah the labor op saying customer declined recall was revised REAL quick when GM saw how many people were declining it lol. When my customers ask about it I educate them, tell them the story behind the recall, they ask what would I do and I just shrug and give them that "it's all bullshit" look since I can't verbalize anything.

I get why GM did it but it's stupid. These people were either small and had the seat WAY up or the size of Shaq(and then you shouldn't be driving the car anyway). Some of must customers get it done, most don't....I have 1 key done the other is the regular switchblade.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #68
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
FYI, each FOB as well as each key has an RFID chip in it. Your car can remember up to 8 individual keys. When they do the recall they simply add the 2 new keys to the cars memory so you have 4 keys memorized.

How did you find out that 8 keys is the programmed count limit?
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #69
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How did you find out that 8 keys is the programmed count limit?
I read it in one of the dozen or so threads I read regarding the recall. Some say 6, some say 8 and the locksmith I worked with believes it's year dependent but confirmed it's more then 4.

So I edited my post to say "4 or more"....
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #70
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I read it in one of the dozen or so threads I read regarding the recall. Some say 6, some say 8 and the locksmith I worked with believes it's year dependent but confirmed it's more then 4.

So I edited my post to say "4 or more"....
Is your key count 6 [2 original switchblades, 2 recall separated keys, 2 replacement switchblade keys] ?
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote