Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #225
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
.....it even came with a cool sticker for my toolbox!
I'm totaly in.

Here is my parts list going in next week at Vengeance. And the key components I made sure of that are the possible culprits of this thread.

Quote:
Custom Camshaft
TEA/PAC .650 Lift Dual Gold Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers - Uses Stock Locks

Comp 5/16 7.400 Hardened Pushrods
Comp Trunion Kit for Stock Rockers
Katech C5R Timing Chain
GM "Dogbone" Tensioner
Melling High Volume Oil Pump for LS Engines
Comp Drop In High Performance Lifters
GM LS2 Front Cover LOADED
GM LS2 Lifter Trays (set of 4)
3 Bolt Conversion Timing Gear - NON VVT
ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit
GM 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets- PAIR
NGK RT6 Plugs
3.2" Drive Pulley
Gates Belt for smaller diameter pulley
KBB Boost Pump for forced induction
Old 06-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #226
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I'm totaly in.

Here is my parts list going in next week at Vengeance. And the key components I made sure of that are the possible culprits of this thread.
PQ:
I don't mean to act like I am a know it all here, but as I just went through a very similar upgrade on my car, I noticed something in your parts list.
With that maggie (and 3.2" pulley) with that cam, you may need to upgrade your fuel system (unless I missed something). The injectors that came with my maggie were not big enough once my cam went in (They would have been over 90% duty cycles). So, I upgraded to 65# injectors.

I also had a dual fuel hat installed when my cam went in.. I wasn't comfortable with the stock fuel pump and BAP.

You are going to be making more boost than I am (I'm at 8.5 lbs) because I have a 3.4" pulley and you are going with a 3.2"

Running out of fuel with a maggie can be disastrous. I was adamant with the shop about over doing the fuel system.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #227
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I agree with you and had I known before they put the motor back together, I'd have had them put a new oil pump put in the car. I will mention the TSB to them next time I talk to them.

I am glad to know about it now though because I was planning to forge the motor anyway. I need to get a complete list of exactly what I need to have them replace. They did a lot of parts when they did the cam, but I don't want to miss anything when they forge the engine. That will happen next winter.
my 'three' little things are the oil pump, timing chain tensioner, and the timing chain....just cause that's what I had to deal with.

I saw the dogbone dampner on another pic of your build...so have you swapped to a C5R chain yet?

Quote:
I'm totaly in.

Make sure to ask Charlie for the sticker!

I was sorry to hear about your experience a couple of weeks ago...well...sorry and shocked. Glad to see things are back on the right track...I'm sure you'll be happy with the results...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #228
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Emma,

Responded in my thread.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #229
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Emma,

Responded in my thread.
emma dont go there its a trap !
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #230
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
my 'three' little things are the oil pump, timing chain tensioner, and the timing chain....just cause that's what I had to deal with.

I saw the dogbone dampner on another pic of your build...so have you swapped to a C5R chain yet?

I feel like I should scan my invoices from IPS so you can see what you think of the parts list (it's rather long!). Then you can make me a laundry list for when they forge the motor.

Ooops. Did we just threadjack hugger's thread? Sorry!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #231
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
I feel like I should scan my invoices from IPS so you can see what you think of the parts list (it's rather long!). Then you can make me a laundry list for when they forge the motor.

Not me! You've got my whole list! But I love the idea of sharing 'lists'...and I'm sure Hugger won't mind seeing a good list as he preps for 're-birth'....
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #232
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:

Just kidding

This thread is meant to be informative....I'm 99.9999% sure it's doing it's job.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #233
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Sorry to hear and see.:( Apologize as having not read every post. How big is the Cam? Are the pistons stock. Could there have been a clearance issue? Remember reading an article in CamaroNow about Cams and heads on the LS3(just found the article again now) The build team went with a .617/.624 231/239 113d Comp Cam. They claim any wilder and there can be clearance issues with the factory flat tops.
Still trying to decide whether to go with a Cam or put the money towards a SC. Brings back memories. The 82PaceCar I had came with a weak 305. Cam had a plastic gear that self destructed while going to work in the early AM (think we only had 12k warranties back then. Whatever it was,no coverage:() Left it by the side of the road in a puddle of oil and hitchhiked. It came back better than ever at the time with a 406. Hope you are back on the road better than ever asap

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #234
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
So, you modded it?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #235
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Sorry to hear and see.:( Apologize as having not read every post. How big is the Cam? Are the pistons stock. Could there have been a clearance issue? Remember reading an article in CamaroNow about Cams and heads on the LS3(just found the article again now) The build team went with a .617/.624 231/239 113d Comp Cam. They claim any wilder and there can be clearance issues with the factory flat tops.
actually is a good point, i know my local shop is very big with making sure there is clearance, they wont even put the cam into a car before putting the cam into a test engine first to make sure they can see everything is going to work.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #236
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
I'm still sticking to my original theory of not having enough piston to valve clearance. The ls3 engines have no valve reliefs. So cam selection is important. And just because the same cam worked in your buddies car doesn't mean it'll be ok in yours. I learned that lesson building a 4 wheeler engine. I'm imagining that your shop, huggerorange, has installed this same cam and had no issues. So valve clearance wasn't actually checked and here you are left holding the bag. Why did it take so long? Well my guess is you had less than the minimum clearance required and when you ran the car hard you had ever so slight contact. Then the springs got some miles on them. Things got worse. And then you know the rest of the story.

I don't own a shop. I've build lots of engines though. From go-kart to lawn mower to atv to stock automobile engines to the pretty powerful engine in my former third gen. I had failures. I've learned from my mistakes. I now know what it takes to build a reliable engine. The most important thing is to check, check and recheck your clearances. I'm anxious to see if you cam pin broke and caused this. If that happened, well I could be wrong or the above I mentioned happened and help push that along. I guess we shall see.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #237
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Modding does not kill engines. FACT

Going into the internals of the engine and swapping out parts just puts more pressure on the system. So the OEM parts that had problems in the first place (cough*lifters*cough) may break sooner than say if the car was left stock.

Once again. Modding does NOT kill engines.
Where have i heard that before? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
+1 i have the same cam setup as you of course, my shop that did the install says they have never seen a LS engine oil pump failure before on cars that they have done. for the last 10 years, and i must say i am willing to bet they have worked on more cars than most shops out there.
The only oil pumps I have see fail have been 100K+ mile pumps and one BRAND NEW ported pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
I'm still sticking to my original theory of not having enough piston to valve clearance. The ls3 engines have no valve reliefs. So cam selection is important. And just because the same cam worked in your buddies car doesn't mean it'll be ok in yours. I learned that lesson building a 4 wheeler engine. I'm imagining that your shop, huggerorange, has installed this same cam and had no issues. So valve clearance wasn't actually checked and here you are left holding the bag. Why did it take so long? Well my guess is you had less than the minimum clearance required and when you ran the car hard you had ever so slight contact. Then the springs got some miles on them. Things got worse. And then you know the rest of the story.

I don't own a shop. I've build lots of engines though. From go-kart to lawn mower to atv to stock automobile engines to the pretty powerful engine in my former third gen. I had failures. I've learned from my mistakes. I now know what it takes to build a reliable engine. The most important thing is to check, check and recheck your clearances. I'm anxious to see if you cam pin broke and caused this. If that happened, well I could be wrong or the above I mentioned happened and help push that along. I guess we shall see.
The type of problem you are describing would slightly bed a valve or two, not cause all this.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #238
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
I'm totaly in.

NGK TR6 plugs have the tips protruding.. NGK 7IX or NGK 8IX is cooler and the tips are flush.. With your blower you might want to go with the cooler tips for added safety.. Stocks are iridium and you want as cool as you can run to avoid preiignition.... One temp range for every 75 to 100 HP.....just sayin
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts

Last edited by 2010 SS RS; 06-18-2011 at 12:32 AM.
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown up ls3 engine failure