Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

View Poll Results: Want to upgrade your stereo head unit? Let Scosche know what you want!
SINGLE DIN- I like the control unit a lot, or I'm not waiting for the double 9 16.98%
DOUBLE DIN- I'll wait for the double long as it's better than what's availabe 47 88.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
Thumbs up Scosche aftermarket head unit kit may be developed- VOTE your opinion!

For those of you that don’t know Scosche is one of the biggest aftermarket dash kit and wiring harness manufacturers (along with several other products I'm sure), much like Metra. I have been in contact with one of their developers for quite some time as they looked into options for a dash kit.

It sounds to me like they may be at a bit of a crossroads. A double din option is not currently moving forward in development because it would have to be a completely new design & their people are currently tied up in other projects. However, they do have a very nice control unit they already use in other vehicles, it's just too big for a double DIN in our car, but they could start working on a single DIN soon if enough people were interested. They have asked me to post some picts of it here to see what you all think.

Here's some picts of their control unit for other vehicle kits. They would have to make some changes for our car, but reprogramming this unit would be considerably easier (and faster to production) than a completely new (shorter) design for our vehicle.

Please take a look at the pictures and vote your opinion!
Attached Images

Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
I'd be interested in a double din. By the way, that single din already looks MUCH better than the Metra kit, thats for sure!!!!
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Droid6

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Yeah, I like that a ton better than the Metra kit and I wouldn't even mind a single din if it had controls like that.
Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
So does this head unit just to control car functions (like A/C) so you can add a single DIN head unit and retain car functions or does this do everything, including audio. I would only be interested in a unit that just does car functions, thus allowing the installation of a single DIN head unit of my choice. I have a metra kit and single DIN head unit already. If someone comes out with something cleaner than the Metra kit I would consider it.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
gtbaldini

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS LS3
I'd buy in a heartbeat if the console all the way down and married it to my 4-pack gauges.
gtbaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
the control pod looks cool... better than the metra, but I think thats because its color... now if the little man in the picture turned into the trucker girl like the metra, that would be sweet!

but all in all, for a car like this, gotta do double-din.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks cool
Old 05-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
infamous00827
Heartless-1

Drives: 2008 nissan altima coupe
subscribed
Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
most would want the double din, as so many people want a nav system, and that requires a double for a screen size that is bigger than a Tom Tom.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 06-01-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Is it a Din mounting kit and control unit or a head unit?

The pictured unit looked OK with the exception that I don't like the brand name "Scosche" on the display. The display should only provide useful information, not brand advertisement.

It's still unknown if the Scosche mounting kit will look any better than the Metra. If we have to convince the manufacturer to produce a product for the Camaro my initial thought is that they are not serious about the Camaro market. If they want my business they can put some effort into it. The Metra product may not be perfect but, they did make the R&D effort to produce a product and I didn't have to ask for it.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
Texzen

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
... If they want my business they can put some effort into it. The Metra product may not be perfect but, they did make the R&D effort to produce a product and I didn't have to ask for it.
QFT!!!
Texzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
I think any kit that doesn't have the big dials for the HVAC is wrong. The car needs them. The Metra and this kit both look like a dash from the early 90s.
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
Please keep in mind there is no kit yet.

What you see in the picts is for a different vehicle, the only part to pay attention to there is the control unit which would be similar to what they would use in a single din kit, but the kit itself would have to look completely different to fit in our vehicle.

The control unit displayed is not a stereo, it is just a control unit.
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
Texzen

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/RS/1LE
Matt'sSS,

Thanks for posting this. When it comes to in-dash kits, options are always a good thing. FWiW, I believe in order for Scoche to gain any ground here they will NEED to offer a DD part.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out from your "developer" friend.
Texzen is offline   Reply With Quote