Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
CHiPs!

The new movie with Dax Shepard and Michael Pena is great!

It's got a couple of Camaro cameos: A 1st Gen (that we never really get a GOOD look at), and a newer one, a 2017, I think, that gets a lot of screen time.

The movie is rank, crude, and comical, pretty much the trifecta that makes both of my thumbs go Jon- and- Ponch style.

The movie is being panned by critics... of course. Those critics are appalled at the use of vulgar, crude, sexual and scatological humor. I guess the critics were assuming that since the 1970s/ 1980s TV show was such and exquisite piece of fine art, that the 2017 movie would ALSO be a peiz d'elegance, worthy of standing ovations and tears and Oscars. I, on the other hand, went there with the expectation that there would be lots of jokes about body parts--- and even images of some less- commonly- seen- ones--- and car chases and blood and cursing and so forth. The critics were disappointed: I was not.

Erik Estrada makes a cameo... but I read that once he actually saw the movie, he announced that it is a piece of garbage. He hates the movie... I guess he, too, was hoping for something a little classier.

The movie has little to do with the TV series. The name is the same, and the names Jon Baker and Francis Lewellin Poncharello are used... and the fellas ride around on CHP bikes. Other than that, very little similarity. The movie is filthy, foul, includes gunplay, violence, and even some gore. Vulgar language abounds, as do lovely Kristin Bell's bathing suit scenes.

The Camaro cameos were just icing on the cake... I had no idea that eye candy was going to be in the movie.

Great movie. Don't take the kids, and don't go with your minister, as it'll end up being real uncomfortable (Do I laugh... or pretend to be disgusted?!?). But if you go planning to enjoy lots of adult humor (by, "adult humor," I mean the stuff that 15- year- old boys really dig), then it'll be worth the price of admission.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I read that Chips was originally intended to be a spin off of Super Troopers but because they couldn't get an agreement on the rights, they changed the names of the characters and turned the script into Chips instead.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I read that Chips was originally intended to be a spin off of Super Troopers but because they couldn't get an agreement on the rights, they changed the names of the characters and turned the script into Chips instead.
That may be true: This movie was WAY more "Super Troopers" than it was TV "CHiPs," for sure... although, as us "Super Troopers" fans know, the sequel ("Super Troopers 2") is just waiting for a release date.... coming soon!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
it flopped at the box office. i'm glad they had a new Camaro in it, i guess, but i don't know why they'd take a family show and turn it into a raunchy comedy.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote