Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

View Poll Results: The wife says get a Vette, what should I do?
Keep the 1LE, it is awesome and makes the most sense. 45 18.00%
Live the dream, get the Stingray before time runs out. 163 65.20%
Sell the the house and all the cars and live in a trailer in Key West. 42 16.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #99
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
I've seen you at ATCO. That freakin thing is awesome. Keep it...for now.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #100
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonbrador View Post
I've seen you at ATCO. That freakin thing is awesome. Keep it...for now.
Thanks! Did I meet you at the Black Friday event?

And BTW, I may have opened a possibility of buying my river dream house instead of the Corvette. It has a three car garage (!) and needs a lot of work. Fixing it up would be a labor of love. Anyone know a a good electrician that will work in Atlantic county?

There should be another poll option to buy a vacation house instead of a corvette. Same concept.

Dream House > Corvette. This is why I am so undecided. To knock my bucket list down by one it will be Corvette or the house. I spent a lot of time at the house as a kid. To me it is the most peaceful place in the world.

If the house happens I will be installing the 1LE tow hook and heritage grill in the garage this spring. And since the 1LE will be around for a while, I will add a tune.

And in that case molsonbrador I will take your advice. And push off the Corvette for a few more years. It is interesting the "Keep the 1LE" poll option is losing. Buying the Corvette is the runaway choice. I have been reading up on the Stingray. It may be, considering the price, the best performance car in the world.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #101
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Get the house it (usually) gains value while the car losses value. House on water is also in my bucket list. i want pond front love bass fishing.

Equations

Camaro 1LE + Corvette C7 - Camaro 1LE = Corvette C7

Camaro 1LE + House = Camaro 1LE and House

Corvette C7 < Camaro 1LE and House
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #102
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Thanks! Did I meet you at the Black Friday event?

And BTW, I may have opened a possibility of buying my river dream house instead of the Corvette. It has a three car garage (!) and needs a lot of work. Fixing it up would be a labor of love. Anyone know a a good electrician that will work in Atlantic county?

There should be another poll option to buy a vacation house instead of a corvette. Same concept.

Dream House > Corvette. This is why I am so undecided. To knock my bucket list down by one it will be Corvette or the house. I spent a lot of time at the house as a kid. To me it is the most peaceful place in the world.

If the house happens I will be installing the 1LE tow hook and heritage grill in the garage this spring. And since the 1LE will be around for a while, I will add a tune.

And in that case molsonbrador I will take your advice. And push off the Corvette for a few more years. It is interesting the "Keep the 1LE" poll option is losing. Buying the Corvette is the runaway choice. I have been reading up on the Stingray. It may be, considering the price, the best performance car in the world.
Yep, we chatted some Black Friday. I was the gray SS...hair to match. The poll results are skewed cuz C7 is THE CAR that has every maker out there crying. Who wouldn't want one? Now you have a dream house in reach? Go for it, they ain't making no more land.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #103
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Get the house it (usually) gains value while the car losses value. House on water is also in my bucket list. i want pond front love bass fishing.

Equations

Camaro 1LE + Corvette C7 - Camaro 1LE = Corvette C7

Camaro 1LE + House = Camaro 1LE and House

Corvette C7 < Camaro 1LE and House
Your equations nailed it!!!! I am working on the house idea, here again it's not really the money, but rather a complex situation involving the family, the wife, the condition of the house, and global warming. But either way I will be driving a very fun car. I am a lucky man.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #104
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Two more votes for the century mark for those that want you to live the dream of the C7

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #105
Fraxum

Update, if anyone still cares.

The house deal is very iffy and may or may not work out no matter what I end up doing with cars. The big decision I would have to make if I can get past the iffy stuff, is do I want to spend every spare hour for the next two years or more fixing it up. In years past you could just finance the whole thing and you could not go wrong. But those days are over for perhaps a very long time. Thank you Wall Street. So the house part of the equation is out of scope.

Back to the car quandary. I have the financial logistics worked out so the Z51 would be about the same payment as the 1LE. But of course this would mean dumping a good chunk of cash into the deal. I wish I could sell some of the GM stock I owned before the crash, but that's another story. And so I wonder, what do I really want from getting a Stingray? Well owning (arguably) the best sports car on the planet is one thing and I am sure it would be great fun to drive. But the cost of long term ownership (and modding) will be much higher with the Corvette. Will the extra fun be worth all that? How much extra would that be?

The 1LE is already fun and a good chunk of it is paid for. My main thing is it feels a little slow, even though it can do a 12.3 ET. I know the Stingray is faster and that is part of the charm. Both are superlative on a race track, but of course a Z51 will run and hide from just about any 1LE. however I can't see myself at 10/10ths with either car on a race track.

So what is the 1LE missing? Power. How would I fix that? With a centrifugal supercharger. It acts more like a turbo so it is harder to break things. It is lighter than other supercharger types and does not aggravate heat soak. If I do this my goal would be mild, say 525-550 RWHP. With this safe power level low 11s should be attainable. Then later after I pay it off and I still want to get the Stingray, I can put my 1LE back to stock and sell/trade it and sell the bolt-ons. I know I would lose my warranty, but Camaros are so reliable, the drive train warranty is rarely needed.

At that point Stingray fever will have died down and there will be quite a few Z51 trade ins going for the next hottest thing, the new Z06. So there will be discounting on Z51s and there will be used ones floating around.

So the Birthday decision is down to this:
  1. 1LE + SC = Big fun + $$ for later
  2. 1LE + $$ + Z51 - 1LE = Slightly bigger fun maybe - $$ for later

#1 in the lead at the moment. To be continued.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #106
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
I have found i prefer leaning on the side of not buying something then buying it if i regret it i can always buy it later. Buyers remorse is the worst getting a new toy only to realize its not much or any better then old toy and it cost you 20 grand oh that would burn my a$$. I bought pool table for my basement tv room 2000 bucks used it few times now its just junk table, its like its laughing at me every time i walk by it.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #107
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
I have found i prefer leaning on the side of not buying something then buying it if i regret it i can always buy it later. Buyers remorse is the worst getting a new toy only to realize its not much or any better then old toy and it cost you 20 grand oh that would burn my a$$. I bought pool table for my basement tv room 2000 bucks used it few times now its just junk table, its like its laughing at me every time i walk by it.
That there is good advice.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #108
RaceAir

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE w/RS
My dad got his 2LT Stingray last week

My dad got his 14 Stingray Auto-6 2LT NON-Z51 (grumble grumble) last week after a 13 week wait. (The part constraints are mostly Z51-related outages.). His purchase was in response to my 13 1LE. He sold his Mercedes SLK280 a couple months after driving my 1LE.

He sure as hell one-upped me with the Vette. I put 75 miles on it this past week, and it is a phenomenal ride. As much as I trumpet the aggressive handling of the 1LE, I can call a spade a spade and say the Vette is the way to go. The darn thing even gets better gas mileage even without cylinder deactivation in Eco mode. The better aeros and the 450-ish fewer pounds make a helluva difference. The Z51 bits would only add to my pain.

Go to the Chevy website for the Stingray and you can see comparisons with other selected rides, but you can change one of those rides with our beloved Camaros (albeit without the 1LE package).

I feel incredible satisfaction with my 1LE, but piloting the new Stingray would be my choice if I had the coin.
RaceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #109
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
You have worked hard all your life go spoil yourself. If if doesn't ruined your finances i would be all over that. You only live once.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #110
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I vote for keeping the 1LE and modding and tinkering with it for fun. The Vette has more prestige yes. There are always nicer cars, nicer houses, etc. How about a Porsche GT3? Wait for the Gen6 Camaro? How about the next GT500 (or will be called GT350) on the new 'Stang chassis?

Your 1LE has speed by the numbers, but from what you are saying you want more pick up. Could 4.11 gears do that?
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #111
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAir View Post
My dad got his 14 Stingray Auto-6 2LT NON-Z51 (grumble grumble) last week after a 13 week wait. (The part constraints are mostly Z51-related outages.). His purchase was in response to my 13 1LE. He sold his Mercedes SLK280 a couple months after driving my 1LE.

He sure as hell one-upped me with the Vette. I put 75 miles on it this past week, and it is a phenomenal ride. As much as I trumpet the aggressive handling of the 1LE, I can call a spade a spade and say the Vette is the way to go. The darn thing even gets better gas mileage even without cylinder deactivation in Eco mode. The better aeros and the 450-ish fewer pounds make a helluva difference. The Z51 bits would only add to my pain.

Go to the Chevy website for the Stingray and you can see comparisons with other selected rides, but you can change one of those rides with our beloved Camaros (albeit without the 1LE package).

I feel incredible satisfaction with my 1LE, but piloting the new Stingray would be my choice if I had the coin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
You have worked hard all your life go spoil yourself. If if doesn't ruined your finances i would be all over that. You only live once.
Wow, I have worked hard and will do so for years to come. I do deserve it.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #112
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I vote for keeping the 1LE and modding and tinkering with it for fun. The Vette has more prestige yes. There are always nicer cars, nicer houses, etc. How about a Porsche GT3? Wait for the Gen6 Camaro? How about the next GT500 (or will be called GT350) on the new 'Stang chassis?

Your 1LE has speed by the numbers, but from what you are saying you want more pick up. Could 4.11 gears do that?
I like Porsches but owning one can be very expensive. A new GT3 is way out of my range, but yea, that's my favorite. I like the Stingray, not really for prestige but for all the HiPo tech and big Corvette improvements. I just know I would dig owning one.

But like you said tinkering is fun. I would do the same with the Z51. And I think the Stingray may be US high performance water mark for a few years. So the 6th gen Camaro and future GT 350 I am sure will be improvements over the 1LE. I am not sure either will match the Stingray. I am looking into FI so speed will not be a problem if I go that way.