Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #29
ps2ren

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
A tune is not required for adding HUD.

GM put it in there to protect the transmission. So, it slows you down. Removing it gives you more torque in the car which means more fun but it also leaves you not as protected which means a slight increase in something breaking in the trans. Now, I haven't heard of any real issues with the A6 with or without a tune.

Best bet would be to call some of these tuners and talk to them. Ask the kind of questions and see what they say. You'll know when you've found a knowledgeable tuner.
yea HUD will be a separate thing by itself, just busy work. About the torque vs transmission, I have seen plenty of tunes like HPE475 and others without changing the trans, I'm wondering what the limit on the stock one is
Old 06-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #30
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
We're not talking about changing the trans....we are talking about the torque management that is computer controlled. I can almost guarantee that anyone that's done any kind of tuning on an A6 at all has removed or significantly reduced the trans torque management.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #31
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
My goal is change the setting to my ideal, 93 oct since I have to use it anyway, accurate speedo, afm gone, sound a bit better etc. Nothing long term nothing than maybe adding HUD since mine is 2010 without it

is there a down side of getting rid of torque management?
Based on your goals and the OP, I say get the CAI, consider a ported throttle body, then get a tune. The ported TB does not add HP but it improves throttle responsiveness. Combined with a CAI, it is a great "butt dyno" mod.

I agree with ps2ren in that I ave never heard of any A6 tranny probelms with a tune.

The only thing that I have other than what you are looking to do is headers. I did all the other mods and then waited until I got headers before my tune. I was very happy with the mods without the tune so I am confident that you will like the mods with the tune. Just make sure you do your research and choose a reputable tuner. They have good ones on this forum.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #32
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post

I agree with ps2ren in that I ave never heard of any A6 tranny probelms with a tune.
If set up incorrectly you can do some damage. We had someone bring us a car to swap in another 6L80e, and after looking at the tune that was in it, we were pretty sure that was the main factor in its short life.

For OP I'd suggest springing for a dyno tune...get the most out of it, have DOD deleted at the same time, and also have the transmission tuned - that makes a huge difference in responsiveness.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #33
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
CAI: $300
Catted mid-pipes: $300
Tune: $450
------------
+/-$1040 and you'll be at least 4 tenths quicker than stock. Easy to put that back to stock too.

To put that in perspective, if you raced a bone stock L99 Camaro you'd be out 3-5 car lengths on them.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #34
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I don't know exactly how far it is from your house but from Philadelphia to Jannetty's shop is 191 miles so it would be well worth a day trip to Jannetty and have him set you up. The man knows his stuff and he will give you exactly what you need and do so honestly. He won't sell you a tune if he feels you don't really need it; he'll tell you the truth. If he does do a tune you'll love it.

Contact him, let him know you're coming so he can have everything ready, watch and learn from a pro and after he's done you'll be enjoying a great drive back home with your new upgrades.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #35
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I don't know exactly how far it is from your house but from Philadelphia to Jannetty's shop is 191 miles so it would be well worth a day trip to Jannetty and have him set you up. The man knows his stuff and he will give you exactly what you need and do so honestly. He won't sell you a tune if he feels you don't really need it; he'll tell you the truth. If he does do a tune you'll love it.

Contact him, let him know you're coming so he can have everything ready, watch and learn from a pro and after he's done you'll be enjoying a great drive back home with your new upgrades.
That's... actually a possibility, but def need some planning to make it back in the same day >__<
Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
That's... actually a possibility, but def need some planning to make it back in the same day >__<
It would be one of the best days you spent with and on your car. Well worth planning it. Ted knows these cars very well.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #37
ps2ren

Found a set of cheap GMPP touring exhausts without tips for sale, they are basically borla S type re-badged by GM. Where do I buy the tips for it? I found plenty of tips on borla site but not sure how to sizes go

here's the link to the exhausts, but I want to make sure I get the right size tips
http://www.borla.com/products/camaro...rt__11775.html
Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #38
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Well I spent all weekend at the track and data logged for Matt's tune, I needed a transmission tune bad and Matt spent SATURDAY night emailing me back and forth til 10:30 at night Central time mind you! Just shows the quality and concern of customer service! All I can say is WOW!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #39
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Feel free to give us a call. We can get you taken care of.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #40
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
We're not talking about changing the trans....we are talking about the torque management that is computer controlled. I can almost guarantee that anyone that's done any kind of tuning on an A6 at all has removed or significantly reduced the trans torque management.
That's not a true statement. Torque Management should be used as your friend. The 6l80/90s are not like the A4 where you just zero out the torque management, and even with the A4 transmission, you can achieve short, quick, fast shifts, and halving the TQMT to make the transmission last longer.

It shouldn't be treated conceptually like the engine side of the TQMT

Matter of fact the only change in the TQMT table on the transmission side I make is maxing a couple tables like having "none" on the tip in TQMT, and disable power down shift. Once you really learn and understand how to tune the 6l80s, you don't just go down the list of torque reduction tables and disable all six tables, or adding a bunch of line pressure. For years, Ive long moved away from doing either of those and use the "adder" tables to achieve my desired results.
Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote