Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 03-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
El Centro Air Show Camaro

Open Letter to the owner of the RJT 2LT RS at the Air Centro Air Show

You: Camaro jacket and cap, older middle-age
Me: Grey shirt, blue jeans, early 20s

Your Camaro was on display in the car section at the El Centro air show on Saturday, March 13 2010. I walked up with my father, and explained that was the exact color (including CGM hood stripes) my wife and I want if we get a Camaro, but also mentioned it showed orange peel and some examples had mismatched bumpers/front fascias. You overheard and got very defensive. You demonstrated your knowledge of captured test fleet and other topics we've discussed here, so you might be a member here. I, being a member, knew these things too.

Just to clear the air, I meant no offense. I love the color. It is my favorite, with CGM and IBM close behind. However, like black RJT is a high maintenance color that highlights flaws and has some real drawbacks. I wasn't criticizing your car, just walking my dad through the pros and cons of the color. First, all cars in this price range have orange-peel from the factory. The Camaro is better than some, worse than others, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just a fact of life. I've accepted it. Also, I insisted that I wasn't referring to your front bumper/fascia being mismatched in shade, just early examples. Well that's not entirely true. Your front fascia was slightly off. Not as bad as early examples, but not perfect either.

Anyway, I understand we're a passionate bunch here, but you came off a bit strong. If I wasn't a Camaro fan, I'd be a bit scarred of them now. Good news is, after we walked away, my dad asked how much they ran and said that might just be his perfect mid-life crisis car.

PS. Hey everyone! I'm back. Its been a while. Job issues have kept me away, and I likely will only be around rarely from here forward, but I'll try to stop by when I can. I still love this site.

edit: sorry for the typo in the title.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Pig Dog

Drives: Red/Black 2SS/RS M6
I have shown cars for over thirty years and nothing irritates me more than spectators who find it necessary to point out every flaw they see in my car. Trust me, I was aware of each flaw without having someone pointing them out to me. Like my Granddad use to say, If you do not have anything nice to say, it is often better to say nothing!
Pig Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
haha i too was at the air show and talked with the owner of that car!! he is on camaro5 but i cant remember his name... but his reaction to your comments had nothing to do with his passion for his car the guy was a stupid Ahole!!! he was a retired navy vet. and is working at a local middle school now. i was there with my cousin and my dad, my cousin is really interested in joining the navy so my father ask the guy for some advice to give to my cousin and all the guy could come up with is "WAIT A LITTLE BIT AND ONLY JOIN UNDER A REPUBLICAN"! what kind of advice is that?
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
he kept on with the same BS never giving any good advice at all... i just didn't like the guy! he was a wast of time i just wish i could have brought my car inside, i had to park it out in the mud... it was the CGM V6 RS!!! i would have at least gave the people there a better idea of how a Camaro owner should act!!!
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
Not all Navy guys are such idiots. I was stationed out there for a couple years and never acted like that towards people asking me questions. I worked in the control tower as an Air Traffic Controller. I may look like a dick but Im a nice guy. Sounds like someone's still bitter towards the Navy and life.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Dog View Post
I have shown cars for over thirty years and nothing irritates me more than spectators who find it necessary to point out every flaw they see in my car. Trust me, I was aware of each flaw without having someone pointing them out to me. Like my Granddad use to say, If you do not have anything nice to say, it is often better to say nothing!
To clarify, I didn't point those things out to the guy. I completely understand what you're saying and yeah, no one needs those things pointed out to them. I just whispered them to my dad, because they're legitimate concerns I have with that paint color. Maybe it is just me, but RJT is kinda like black, showing flaws more clearly than some other colors. I tried to be discreet about this for the exact reasons you mentioned, but the guy overheard anyway. I'd never say anything critical directly to him. After all, he had enough taste to order my favorite color and stripe combination.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
The guy sounds like a douchebag. It's not like you walked up to him and said Camaros suck. Still, I wouldn't have badmouthed the car and not expected him to say something.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
yea,you should not have said anything that he could hear.silence is golden.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
gabraddock

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Rally Yellow
Can't we all just get along?
gabraddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow
Old 04-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
johndawg
I'd rather be shooting...

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black/Black
Send a message via AIM to johndawg
well... There's one thing that I have learned over the years. If can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Nobody made him enter the car into the show and you have the right to say what ever you want about his car, their car, my car or your car.

I mean... seriously. I don't expect everyone to like everything I do. I like to think that my photography work is good, but it's not for everyone and sometimes it takes some thick skin to get over some comments.

With that said... I guarantee RJT is easier to take care of than black. While I have black, I have really grown to appreciate the RJT color. I wouldn't mind having some RJT stripes painted on my Black one day.

The Official Photographer of the 2010, 2011 & 2012 Camaro5 Fests!!! www.theshuttergroup.com
johndawg is offline   Reply With Quote