Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
Mandog

Drives: 2011 RJT 1LT Vert
Thanks Drago. Excellent review.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
united1

Drives: slpzl585vert.
thanks, for the info
united1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
zachi3

Drives: IOM 2SS Convertible
Drago,
one question. Is the subwoofer installed on the back of the rear seats or located below the net of the rear seat shown in one of you pictures. Do you have a picture where we can see the subwoofer ????

Thanks
Juergen
zachi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
TiffBiff
SNOT URS

Drives: '17 Krypton A10 ZL1 '14 Challenger
Great review . But it makes me want mine even more now and the status is still on hold .
01/15/11 3300 ___________________ 04/18/17 TPW ~ 5/15/17
01/18/11 3400 TPW ~ 1/24/11 ______ 05/01/17 3100
01/27/11 4B00 ~ VIN#55960 _______ 05/03/17 3300
02/28/11 4B00 ___________________ 05/05/17 3400
03/14/11 Bought VIN#65770 ________ 05/16/17 3800 ~ VIN#209129
05/03/11 VIN#55960 delivered
______ 05/18/17 delivered
TiffBiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
chris626
CaMaRo 2Ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss custom black
Send a message via AIM to chris626
nice car man!, enjoy it..i got my camaro 2ss on my graduation at 18, now im 19 and its all tuned up! hahaha, i love it
chris626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
CAMAROBILLY

Drives: 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
9 days.... 9 days ago I took delivery of over 5 years of dreams! This car is NOT a daily driver for me, and I did work (almost) a full week this week, but in these past 9 days, I've put over 700 miles on my 2011 Summit White 2SS Vert, driving coast-to-coast in central Florida's sunshine and 80 degree temps! (Not a bad B-Day present to myself, huh?)

Anyway, as many of you have read my previous posts, both good and bad, I figured I've had my ride long enough to give a solid, objective opinion. I am in no way, shape or form a "gear-head" (not criticizing those, simply stating my place) nor am I completely car-illiterate, I know enough to tinker with the car, engine, body, etc myself, but also know my limitations. I'm an early 30s blue-collar worker, who's never owned a "fast" car and is about as objective as anyone can be.

From day 1, the first thing I noticed (after picking up my jaw from the ground, in sheer awe at the cars beauty) was how HEAVY it was. I've owned other Camaros (92, 99) driven Mustangs (at length- not my fault- work!) 08' ,10'- vert particularily, and numerous other cars... and no mistakeing it- the Camaro is heavy! However, heavy as it may be- it hugs the corners, feels "solid" and "safe" and make no mistake- it MOVES! Heavy? Yes, but it's got the power to back it up... I'm just starting to mess with the traction control button, screetching the tires, etc... but regardless of what mode the car is in- it has power. I've been up to about 95 mph so far, and I did not feel any shake whatsoever. The car felt as sturdy and stable as anything I've ever driven with a top. While the bracings may be a pain for exhaust swaps- they definitely work well for stability. Even in the rain, I had no traction issues and felt safe, secure and in control as I careened around hwy 60 at 80+ mph...

Comfort wise- you really can't ask for more in the driver seat. My wife says it's much more comy in the passenger side than my former 'Maros. However, I will note this- the rear seat behind me (who stands at 6'0") is absolutely USELESS. I never paid much attention to the coupe rear seats, but I have to believe the convertible top thinned out the avaliable room in the back. The front seat stops at a certain tilt degree (I'd prefer about an inch or 2 more lean, myself) but I believe it's because it would hit the sides of the rear passenger compartment. Doesn't really appear like theres any way around that- it's the nature of the convertibles design. Overall- I (driver) absolutely love it, the wife (passenger) likes it and my 9 yr old, (rear pass) loves it, so all good there. (I've got to mention too- the HUD is really, really cool! I was afraid it would be in the way, or distracting- it's awesome, absolutely love it! And the "Chevy laser show" opening display is priceless!)

Fuel efficency... well... its a 6.2 liter engine... I'm at an averege of 17.4 mpg. I've driven pretty conservitively, trying to keep the rpms between 1.5-2.5 just to break it in, and see where my mpgs are... not saying that I havent broken it open a few times here or there, but for the most part (80% of the time) I've been ultra conservative. And with a LOT of hwy driving, I'm a bit disappointed, but I didn't buy this car for efficiency, so I'm not complaining.

The stereo/HVAC-
Well, being the 2SS, I've got the "Upgraded" sound system. Honestly- with the top down at speed, it's a bit quiet. It's crystal clear, and the bass has a good, solid punch (not a deep, rumple, but a solid punch) which I'm sure is helped by the relocation of the subwoofer to the center, rear seat. At city speeds, and especially with the top up, its great- pleanty loud. But I missed some of the volume, trying to sing along at hwy speed. The steering wheel could use a station control. Volume and source is great, but I still have to reach for the head unit to change songs, stations ets... The HVAC works great- heat is HOT and cold is COLD... no complaints there, whatsoever.

Speeking of sound; driving with the top UP- is incredible. Granted, it's dark, and the front headliner looks a bit odd, but there is almost ZERO wind noise driving, even upwards of 85 mph! I noticed a slight... SLIGHT wind whisper from the front drivers window, where it meets the windshield, but nothing remotely close to the noise of the 10' Mustang!

NOW- on a scale of 1-10, I'm giving this car a solid 9... the following are the reasons it's not a perfect 10...

The Tanneau cover SUCKS! I've got a whole thread dedicated to this issue. I've gotten better with it, but it still is a constant distraction. For those who haven't read it- the cover does NOT secure well. I've had to pull off the hwy, numerous times to reattach it before it flys off. I think I've finally got it down, and am currently working on a minor mod to make it more efficient, but still- I don't feel safe over 80 mph with it... I know, I know... where is there a speed limit in access of 80 mph? But damn it- say I'm at a track- I want my Tanneu cover to stay on!!!! After 9 days- I'm constantly looking in my rear view evaluating the stability of the cover, instead of enjoying the ride. It's a distraction and it takes away from the driving experience. Thats a big let down. And forget about driving without it. For those with a 1SS or 1LT that do not come with it- BUY IT. The wind ripples through the cloth top like CRAZY without the cover... I can only imagine the long term damage without the tanneau... It's a shame too- (not that I like promoting Ford) but the Mustangs had a "hard" front pannel on their verts top- so even without the tanneau cover, the exposed portion was rigid, and therefore never effected by the wind. Watching the exposed portion of the cloth top ripple with the wind made me shudder in my Camaro...

I've also had issues with the driver door window indexing... it seems that if I "gently" close the door, the window stayes lowered (which won't respond to the controls then), however, if I close it harder, its fine. Minor issue, not a huge concern.

Closing/Opening the top is a little cumbersome. The Handle is stiff and resistent. It's not an easy flow, gentle turn system. I'd almost compare it to opening/closing the hatch to a submerine... there's resistence, and it takes some effort! Gotta give my former Ford an edge on that one- it may sound more convenient having only one latch, but the 2 latches on the Ford operated much easier (and thus quicker) than the Chevy. Sorry... but it's true. And, not that it matters much, but don;t rely on opening/closing the top at a traffic light... pull off the road- your NOT gonna make it; it's S-L-O-W... (But agian- issue? No... just pointing it out!)

Trunk space... ehhh... its a convertible Camaro... did you really buy it for trunk space??? I hope not- cuz theres NONE there! We got 1 duffle bag, and a gym bag in there for our trip. It does extend back a good way, (with about a 6" height clearance,) but that's very limited, however it did come in handy for us. Plan accordingly.

SO... at the end of the (ninth) day... I've got to say- from a "normal" person/driver's standpoint- I LOVE my Camaro convertible. I know I may sound negative here, but look at what I've got to nit-pick on... that's the worst I could find in 9 days/700+ miles, that speaks for itself!!! It's everything I could have asked for and then some. The only complaints I have are to be expected, and minute, at best. The Tanneau top will be corrected, or a better aftermarket one will be out there shortly... I'm very glad I waited on the vert, It's a fun, fast, comfortable car that runs as good as it looks and all-in-all, it far outshines anything I've driven to date!
Hey Drago77, thank you very much!!
GREAT Honest Review Two Thumbs up!! MAN!!!
I too am an enthusiast but not a Total Gear head; the standard maintenance, fluid changes with the INJACC gang and hell I just like to try to keep her factory perfect.
My VERT is coming in any day soon, I ordered her December 7th, 2010.
I am and I am not in a rush 'cause up here in Montreal we just got a whole mess of SNOW . . . not exactly VERT weather EH!!
My ordered 2011 VERT is a 2SS/RS, CGM, IO, BlackTop & Stick.
Once again than you for your perspective and I enjoyed the read. Have fun with the VERT!!
CAMAROBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Hey math wiz... That would be X 100 to catch up!
I don't cypher too good.......
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #22
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I don't cypher too good.......
It's ok buddy... world needs ditch diggers too!

have a great Monday PQ!!!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #23
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
It's ok buddy... world needs ditch diggers too!

have a great Monday PQ!!!

Funny you should say that, I will be digging in the backyard today.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #24
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Funny you should say that, I will be digging in the backyard today.
You have bury the evidence? Another mustang bites the dust??
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #25
screamin eagle
screamin eagle

Drives: 2011 Camaro RJT SS/RS Conv.
Awesome review, covered everything. I hope to see mine soon.
screamin eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachi3 View Post
Drago,
one question. Is the subwoofer installed on the back of the rear seats or located below the net of the rear seat shown in one of you pictures. Do you have a picture where we can see the subwoofer ????

Thanks
Juergen
Its behind the net. You can feel the air as the bass hits coming through the netting. My Ground.Effects are being installed this week, but once I get it back on(hopefully Wednesday) ill try to get some specific pix of the sub.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Can you post some pictures in the trunk with the top up and down. Thanks.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #28
dcfan22

Drives: '11 2LT RS 'vert Camaro
Please Tell me that a set of golf clubs will fit in the trunk...