Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I did a comparision of the 2010, 2011, and 2012 tunes over the weekend. I do see a few differences (Knock, OL/CL settings, diagnostic triggers etc), but nothing major, and nothing that would suggest that the 2012 wouldn't perform nearly identical to the prior years.
Here is a stock 2010 versus a stock 2012.
Attached Images

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 09-17-2012 at 08:49 AM.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.! Yes it works perfectly with the same gains as the 2010-2011 version, the only difference is the shape of the housing for the MAF connection. Like I mentioned before, the 2012-13 V6 Camaro system is currently our biggest seller with many very happy customers!

As for all the talk here about the design needing to change for this model, the only change that had to ne made for our design was the the MAF housing, which was changed. Other CAI designs may be having other issues, our design is good to go and available for purchase at the following link: http://www.coldairinductions.com/sto.../2012?___SID=U

Thanks!!
Uh oh.... Was i suppose to specify that it was for a 2013??? (and obviously i ordered the v8 one) but i ordered it from APEX and didn't see an option for a 2012-2013 that had a slightly different MAF connection.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepirate View Post
Uh oh.... Was i suppose to specify that it was for a 2013??? (and obviously i ordered the v8 one) but i ordered it from APEX and didn't see an option for a 2012-2013 that had a slightly different MAF connection.
It is weird because I looked at the AC Delco MAF part number on RockAuto for the 2010 and 2012 and they were both the same.

She is only memory now.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
According to Vararam the 12+ e38 does not take kindly to any kind of ram air effect, which is why their new intake design appears like a more traditional intake in its naked form... Search for the 2012 Vararam thread, VR explains it there... Lots of debate... I am unsure if this rumor is true though.
First the Weak MAF Now special ECMs

I guess Ramming 11 PSI boost on our 2013 SEMA Car only made 680 RWHP because of this
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
First the Weak MAF Now special ECMs

I guess Ramming 11 PSI boost on our 2013 SEMA Car only made 680 RWHP because of this
Good point... I was not the one that claimed the "special" ECM. Just what I read from the horses mouth (keyboard?).
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
I thought the OP said intake only no tune? Not 680rwhp 11psi sema build... I have still yet to see any dyno numbers to prove this wrong!!!
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal1084 View Post
I thought the OP said intake only no tune? Not 680rwhp 11psi sema build... I have still yet to see any dyno numbers to prove this wrong!!!
If the question didn't get answered by any of the above, perhaps it is because no one understood exactly what was being ask.

She is only memory now.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
sales@vararam.com

Drives: 2010 camaro
The reason the other intakes/ram airs do not have a problem with the ECU has nothing to do with their architecture. In terms of airflow being delivered to the engine ,It’s as simple as this “They are restrictive” simple as that, their MAF sensor depth and or placement has been altered as has the bore diameter of the intake tubing ,so most make some power. Some make power from flow and some from computer reading alterations and some from both. That does not mean they offer a flow increase over OEM. Some are behind and some are ahead but they do not support the stock engine in terms of its true flow requirement. All the talk about this design vs. that design, yet they cannot flow over 273CFM on a stock cylinder head at 28 inches of water@ .500inch of lift. They may have told you that their systems flow whatever CFM. That may be true mounted to a flow bench but not mounted to a throttle body, mounted to an intake manifold, mounted to a cylinder head. That is a different world and a different aerodynamic flow package.
We have all of the systems, we have flow tested and road/track tested them all,and we data log and catalogue the results. We even modify their systems to find where to improve their products performance.Each time we have done this we have found substantial power and performance gains over what they delivered right out of the box. On one popular cold air unit we found another 12hp and 15ftlbs in only 5 min! With another system, a Ram air system, we found it had very poor efficiency. This system Incurred over 80% pressure loss. When we made it into a proper system the drivability was lost. To make it what we produce everything would have to change or we could just do what they did and leave it restrictive. The above listed ram air systems manifold pressure was only 13.9 -14.0 PSI@ 5650RPM. The stock air box is at a rock solid 14.10PSI+ at the same RPM, yet the aftermarket system will run slightly better than OEM stock . This is from MAF manipulation, it's not from actual generated air flow. Anyone can and should data log it for themselves.
If you cannot support the stock heads flow requirement, how do you expect to support a modified one? GM didn’t want you to touch their car and for that reason the ECM and the stock airbox are within the engines flow requirement. They do not meet it by 100% but they are close. GM is not stupid they do a real good job of engineering these vehicles. For 2012 to make big power from flow they have changed the way in which you have to go about it. We will not say any more than that, we are happy letting our competition think whatever they want because on race day the guy with the VaraRam will be the one holding the trophy.
We have posted a video in another thread to show one of the many changes that were made for 2012

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...53#post5604353
sales@vararam.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
so what does Vararam say in mid 2013?
Whats up with their products?
I have been reading this old thread, and have seen on other newer threads that VR has gone silent mid 2012....
My car is a 2013, so if I (could) install a VR...will I be holding the trophy at days ends like stated above?
danl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by danl View Post
so what does Vararam say in mid 2013?
Whats up with their products?
I have been reading this old thread, and have seen on other newer threads that VR has gone silent mid 2012....
My car is a 2013, so if I (could) install a VR...will I be holding the trophy at days ends like stated above?
VR going silent says it all. They have no offering for the newer Camaro's. You can't hold a trophy if you don't have a dog in the fight.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #25
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal1084 View Post
So from what I'm hearing from some people the new ecm doesn't like more air flow... So my question is can someone post up before and after dyno numbers for a 2012/2013 intake only no tune or other mods!!!
62nalide just did a 2013 with only an ADM CAI but he had a Rhino tune you can PM him too see the before and after tune effects! I do remember that Rhino got alot more hp after he tuned it. Pull after pull on the dyno it just kept going higher and higher, FINALLY after like the 5th or 6th pull it peaked!
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #26
Jman41

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
2013 Camarillo ss 1LE

I want to buy a cold air intake, just not sure what the best one for my Camaro is? Any help would be appreciated!
Jman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #27
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman41 View Post
I want to buy a cold air intake, just not sure what the best one for my Camaro is? Any help would be appreciated!
CAI brand Cold Air Induction https://www.coldairinductions.com/
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote