Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #43
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralniv View Post
Audio-only nav cannot compete with audio-visual nav. Try driving in an unfamiliar city environment with forks, turns, multiple on-ramps/exits and you'll soon experience the short comings of voice-only navigation. The visual element plays an important role in finding your way through unfamiliar territory.

I often use my touch screen nav to look around for restaurants or other POIs. Who the hell wants to talk with some yahoo on the phone when you are sniffing around for things to do or a place to eat. Sometimes you just want to search around without the hassle of a person on the other end.

On-Star makes for a nice enhancement to touch screen nav, but it falls short as a replacement. GM blew it on this one folks. There is plenty of room where the existing audio system resides to have implemented touch screen nav.

Have you ever used the OnStar Nav? You get visuals on your radio screen and if you make a wrong turn, it will tell you and recalculate your directions. As far as using your screen to find restaurants and such, The OnStar rep can do the same for you. You can be like "where's the nearest pizza place" without having to look at your screen and they will find it for you. They can calso make reservations at restaurants or hotels for you. It really is a nice system. You should try it out before knocking it.

Now I'm not trying to say that the physical map display is a bad thing, but you still have to take your eyes off the road to look at it. With OnStar, they do it all for you.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #44
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I like my garmin. you mount it where you never have to take your eyes off the road. And you can take it down and move it to another car also (like your girlfriend's car).

I only know two people with Tom Tom's and they hate it because it got them lost.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #45
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
I am perfectly happy with my TomTom.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #46
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I can deal with Onstar turn-by-turn...
Nav systems are one "advancement" that I just don't see the point of unless you travel 100s or miles a day, every day.
The OnStar plan that GM vehicles come with does not include turn-by-turn Nav, that feaure costs an extra 9.99/month on top of the base plan which is 19.99/month. When I went to the OnStar site and realized what we really get I realized it was a total jip! Now I know you still get the other OnStar features, but when someone says OnStar the first thing you think of is the turn by turn Nav.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #47
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I got my nuvi 650i for a present, and I'll never need ONStar. only in case I lock my keys in my car
Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #48
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
i hate having to put something on the window its aesthetically displeasing...

i prefer a built in visual navigator....

geez more money spent for aftermarket instals great...

on-star is not the same as a visual navigator
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #49
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I've heard several people saying that they prefer that over a full nav system.The new version with arrows is supposed to be quite handy

wait till the HUD debuts in December 09 maybe they'll integrate the directional arrow into that.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The problem that I can see with having a nav screen is actually looking at the thing while driving. Figuring out where to drive from a ~7in screen mounted either on the dash or the windshield seems like it would be somewhat difficult when you're in traffic in a strange city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
wait till the HUD debuts in December 09 maybe they'll integrate the directional arrow into that.
that would be sweet
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #51
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
dreamer? http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...amaro-nav.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #52
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
but when someone says OnStar the first thing you think of is the turn by turn Nav.
When I think of OnStar, navigation doesn't even enter my mind.

I think of how it notifies 911 if you're in an accident. How it monitors your vehicles systems. How it can open the doors if I lock my keys in. How it can locate your vehicle if it's stolen.

OnStar isn't about Nav imo. It's about Safety and Security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I like my garmin. you mount it where you never have to take your eyes off the road. And you can take it down and move it to another car also (like your girlfriend's car).

I only know two people with Tom Tom's and they hate it because it got them lost.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. My dad had a TomTom (not sure which model).

After experiencing my Garmin, he bought himself one. It's much nicer than the TomTom.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #53
AnEvilPenguin

Drives: 05 Impala SS 86 Trans Am
the only nav system that the 5th gen will have is OnStar, unless you want to install an aftermarket one
AnEvilPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #54
Koru

Drives: 201? Camaro
Camaro Not Getting Nav until Dec. 2009 (supposedly)

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-2009-a-67381/
Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #55
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
Yea, it's OnStar, but they don't stay on the phone with you giving you directions, they download them into your car and you here an automated voice giving them to you.
Ah, is that how they're doing it, handy

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #56
Flipflops

Drives: car
I really don't understand why something basic and common as this is not being offered until december. Then I remeber who we are talking about. Sure I will most likely buy this car but of all the effort they have put into making this car why drop the ball on such basic stuff like they are doing? I can do without a hud and a nav system(rather buy my own anyway as the junk chevy throws in and calls a nav system is a joke) but why hsould I have to if I couldn't?
Flipflops is offline   Reply With Quote