Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I stuck my Garmin to the far right side of my radio faceplate, works great.
Attached Images

2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #16
Eski7399
Arizona All Gens

Drives: 2SS/RS, M6, IO-Int
I did the same sticking it to the right side of the Radio. BEWARE. It pulled off the face plate!
Eski7399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #17
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I have the bean-bag Garmin mount too, really like it! Like you said, easy in, easy out!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #18
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I got the proclip that mounts to the side of the console next to the power port (near the shifter). I haven't put it in my car yet, but I really like proclips. Even though they're espensive, they work well.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
Eski7399
Arizona All Gens

Drives: 2SS/RS, M6, IO-Int
I'm sooo getting a proclip. Good find!
Eski7399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #20
IndyDave

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT RS
I got the Bean bag as well. Like the portability. Can use it in the Camaro, other car, wife's car, etc.
IndyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
HeavyD

Actually 67 GTO, I saw in the one picture that you have only 2 splices for the wiring connection. Most Garmin adapters have a third wire shielding that needs to be connected too so the unit knows when the ignition is powered off it shuts itself off. Most Garmin units are actually 5 volts, which is what standard USB connectors use. The 12v power adapter will regulate it down to 5 volts for standard power and charging for the GPS unit. That silver braided twine wrapped around the other two wires is a secondary voltage signal to the unit that tells the unit to shut down if voltage is lost. So if you don't why it won't shut off when you turn the car off, that is why.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #22
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Actually 67 GTO, I saw in the one picture that you have only 2 splices for the wiring connection. Most Garmin adapters have a third wire shielding that needs to be connected too so the unit knows when the ignition is powered off it shuts itself off. Most Garmin units are actually 5 volts, which is what standard USB connectors use. The 12v power adapter will regulate it down to 5 volts for standard power and charging for the GPS unit. That silver braided twine wrapped around the other two wires is a secondary voltage signal to the unit that tells the unit to shut down if voltage is lost. So if you don't why it won't shut off when you turn the car off, that is why.
Don't know, maybe they changed the power cord on newer units. My power cord has two conductors, white + twisted/schielded negative. The Garmin turned off and on using the ignition switched power outlet.

I've since remounted and hardwired into the fuse box using the below items. The other paralleled wires are for my radar detector.

http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0956PT-Mi...=pd_sbs_auto_3
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
http://www.amazon.com/Gilsson-Direct.../dp/B001A4HAQ2

Supplied power cord

Hardwired

67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
HeavyD

Cool, looks good.
I hard-wired one in for a customer's semi-truck and his did have two separate conductors, plus the shielding. Afterwards it would just stay on full time. I redid the connection to include the shield and then it would power up and down at key on/off. Must be different. Oh well, glad your is working ok!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
I've since remounted and hardwired into the fuse box using the below items. The other paralleled wires are for my radar detector.

http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0956PT-Mi...=pd_sbs_auto_3
Check your fuse tap orientation. I just installed one and it seems yours is backwards, running your accessory power through the fuse you tapped into, instead of the power feed.

To check, you can pull the fuse that's not for the GPS/detector. If it doesn't turn on, it's backwards.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
Check your fuse tap orientation. I just installed one and it seems yours is backwards, running your accessory power through the fuse you tapped into, instead of the power feed.

To check, you can pull the fuse that's not for the GPS/detector. If it doesn't turn on, it's backwards.
Can you post some pics of the right way to put it in the fuse box? I might go this route and want to make sure I get it right.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
aqualite75

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition 2SS RS M6
I debated for a long time whether or not to put an in dash gps in or go with a Garmin. After coming from a fully loaded RT Challenger with the built in GPS, it was a bit of a step backwards for a gadget nut like me. Originally I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT (now for sale) but it didn't have enough features for me. I have recently purchased the top of the Garmin 2012 line Nuvi 3490LMT which has everything I would want in a GPS. What I don't like about a unit like this is the cords dangling so I decided I too would hard wire it. This 3490 has an HD traffic receiver in the power cable so I did not want to go with the custom hard wire power cable. I also opted for a bit of flexibility should I decide to upgrade the unit later down the road. I installed a Bell auxiliary power socket using one of the bolts for the dash. I had to drill out the Bell socket mount for the bolt to fit through the mount. I am very happy with this setup. By the way, the 3490LMT has a powered mount so you can keep it plugged in even when you take the GPS with you. The add-a-circuit is plugged into the 20A power recepticle fuse so that it only powers on when the ignition has been turned on.

Parts used, available from Autozone:
Bell Auxiliary Power Socket Model 39048-8
Bussmann Fuse Tap: ATM Fuse Add-A-Circuit 2-10a BP/HHH-RP (mini socket)
Attached Images

aqualite75 is offline   Reply With Quote