Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Nice but would wonder how much it can vent with a splash guard, and white is like a blank canvas so nice choice. I am old school so just cut about 3" of the center section hood seal out with most likely about the same effect for venting, but do think about a ZL1 insert or other hood etc....we all dream..LOL money to mod though that's a good choice.

It does appear though your hood was put together on a bad day for the assembly robot that had that toothpaste it must have been leaning to the left like our Media does so heavily...LOL
Old 09-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #16
mudwheel57
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post

I'd be scared sh*tless to cut into the hood. You did great work!
If you buy the kit from ACS or another vendor it is really easy. With the instructions and the template they supply it is very easy. The only tools I used was a three inch cut off blade, a utility knife, sharpie marker and a 3/8 " drill bit. That's it! I went with http://www.southerncarparts.com/ because they had the best price that I could find.
mudwheel57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #17
mudwheel57
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Well now that your wife has finally told you the truth. Cut the fenders and put the 3D carbon vents in.
But I know what you went thru. And it is very satisfying to do the work yourself. And it does look very good.
Yes, I agonized over whether I could do the job or not. What put me over the top was I did not want a body shop to do the work because I was afraid they would screw something else up doing the job. I did the job and did not so much as put one scratch on the hood or anywhere else.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #18
mudwheel57
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Nice but would wonder how much it can vent with a splash guard, and white is like a blank canvas so nice choice. I am old school so just cut about 3" of the center section hood seal out with most likely about the same effect for venting, but do think about a ZL1 insert or other hood etc....we all dream..LOL money to mod though that's a good choice.

It does appear though your hood was put together on a bad day for the assembly robot that had that toothpaste it must have been leaning to the left like our Media does so heavily...LOL
Yeah, I think the robot might of had a hangover. With the ACS kit you also have the option to cut a slot at the rear of the water tray for more venting. After I drove the car and parked it I put my hand over the vent and there was a lot of heat coming from it so it does the job.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #19
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
spike III Build IBM 1SS/RS [COTW] 6/25/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudwheel57 View Post
Yes, I agonized over whether I could do the job or not. What put me over the top was I did not want a body shop to do the work because I was afraid they would screw something else up doing the job. I did the job and did not so much as put one scratch on the hood or anywhere else.
I put the TL1 carbon fiber one in from ACS. It's a look a like of the ZL1. I have to get a new updated signature.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Quote:
I stressed big time at first, but then I set the template on and started playing through my mind the process and the steps I would do and it was very easy with the directions ACS supplied. And No.......the wife says I don't have a big set.
oh heck what does she know lmao

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #21
mudwheel57
Account Suspended

Quote:
I put the TL1 carbon fiber one in from ACS. It's a look a like of the ZL1. I have to get a new updated signature.
With that TL1 from ACS you can get that custom hood liner right?
Old 09-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #22
BLU DUCE

Quote:
With that TL1 from ACS you can get that custom hood liner right?
Yes you can, But I just put in a new stock one and used their drain tray.There is a pic of it on my build if interested.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #23
mudwheel57
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yes you can, But I just put in a new stock one and used their drain tray.There is a pic of it on my build if interested.
Yeah....I look for that picture but there are only the ones posted from 2014
Old 09-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #24
BLU DUCE

Quote:
Yeah....I look for that picture but there are only the ones posted from 2014
The pics are all on page 8 of the install ot the TL1 heat extractor 7 drain pan.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #25
Keoni068

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
Hood Conversion questions

Hello there!

I was admiring your hood conversion and am seriously contemplating installing one on my 2015 RS. May I ask:

- where does the water tray route rain/water? Does it go in front of the radiator?
- any long term issues or regrets?
- if you could go back in time would you do it all over again, or would you just leave your hood stock?

My biggest hesitation is that my car is parked outside 24 hours a day, and we do get a fair bit of rain. I don’t want to hurt the reliability of the motor/car by adding this mod.

Any and all info are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Keoni068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #26
bowtiesonly

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss
Yours looks awesome good job. Did the heat extractor mod on the ss as well yesterday! Had it on my old ls, couldnt resist to cut another hole in a perfectly good camaro hood. lol One of my fav diys in this forum for sure.
Attached Images

2012 2ss , long tube headers , summit x pipe ,borla mufflers, vararam intake, vmax ported throttle body rdp motorsports dynosteve tuned, BMR trailing arms and bushings elite engineering catch can. [Ifirst camaro ]2012 LT LFX, nytrex wet system ,GPI dyno tune, Injen longtube intake, Dynomax axle back exhaust, Vmax ported throttle body, elite engineering catch can.
bowtiesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #27
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post

Cutting the seal will not help at speed, it may be ok in stop and go traffic but at speed that is a high pressure area at the base of the windshield, that is the technology behind the cowl induction hood. You want the opening at an area of low pressure to pull the air out from under the hood as the air flows over the hood.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 10-14-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote