Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I Think I'm Gonna Join the NAVY

I think I'm gonna join the navy fresh out of high school before I go to college, here are a number of reasons why I'm considering it:

1. I need to get away from my family and fast, need some me time, to think about my future

2. I don't want to be stuck paying college loans in tel I'm 55, personally I think your a fool for not taking advantage of the government paying your thru college

3. And full heath coverage that's a +

4. Other than a select few I don't really have any friends, and haven't had a girlfriend since 8th grade, and with the exception of my HEMI...lol I have and lived so far a very boring and dull life, so I'm a Thrill Seeker

5. I'm very good with computers hardware and software......very good, I could hack this site if I wanted to...........relax I like this place a lot, anyway If I like it and when I get my college degree and if it pays good I'm might go career

6. 8 weeks of PT would do my fat ass some good lol, though I'm am worried what the drill instructors would do to me cause I cant do a single push up......

so I got a question for the veterans that's on this site how is it, and whats it like, and for those that's not in the navy tell your side

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
aston70

Drives: Me Nutz!! Arrrrgh...
Looking back, all I can say is that I wish I did...
aston70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
If you can't doa single push up, you won't make it. Go start practicing.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
I don't have much experience with the enlisted side of things (the side you'll be entering) but I can try and give you some generic advice that's helped me weather the officer side of things thus far:

A) Train NOW. Boot camp is NOT the time to get into shape. You need to have a solid base in order to save yourself a lot of grief from your cadre/detailers/whatever they're calling them today.

B) Don't just think "I want to join the Navy"... think about what you want to do in the Navy. Do you want to be on ships, on subs, with aircraft or what? If you're as technically savvy as you say you are then I'd suggest looking into submarines. They get paid more and deal with a lot of technology in a hands-on scenario.

C) Look at the other services as well. Air Force might appeal to you more than the Navy (although I doubt Army or the Marines will if you're not really into the physical side of things).

D) Be prepared for a rough couple of years at the least. Yes, the benefits are great and sometimes the jobs are awesome (how many of your high school friends will be on a $500 million ship in the middle of an ocean?), but a lot of the time will not be fun. Time on the ship can be mindnumbingly boring and, depending on your division, the majority of your time might very well be spent painting and repainting the same patch of deck. As a seaman right out bootcamp you'll get a lot of the jobs no one else wants and it'll be that way until you advance beyond the bottom of the totem pole.

E) In short, be completely sure its what you want and then throw yourself into it completely. Trust the Navy (as scary as that is at times) and do what it asks of you and in the end you'll be a better person.

Anywho, hope this helps and perhaps there are some former enlisted out there who can give you a better feel for what the first year or two would be like.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I think I'm gonna join the navy fresh out of high school before I go to college, here are a number of reasons why I'm considering it:

1. I need to get away from my family and fast, need some me time, to think about my future
this is not a good reason to join the service. EVERYONE wants to get away from their hometown/family/whatever at your age
2. I don't want to be stuck paying college loans in tel I'm 55, personally I think your a fool for not taking advantage of the government paying your thru college
yeah, the military pays for your school...but the availability for you to take classes is a whole other story. you wont be able to just start college as soon as you get out of basic, you will go thru technical training and depending on your MOS could take anywhere from a month to 3 years. the military pays for a lot of things, but there are exceptions and other things you have to do. also as far as college loans go, if you PLAN ahead and get a job now, cut back on reckless spending, save some money. also, dont get caught up with offers to pay all your living expenses and whatnot either. there are plenty of people out there who are going to college and paying off their debts as they come because they are pushing themselves, working odd hours, double jobs, whatever it takes. yeah, its hard work, but the harder you work now the easier you can take it later. (the same applies to high school if you havent graduated yet, buckle down and study your ass off)
this is a plus, but there are restrictions. for instance, if you are driving home or wherever and you arent wearing your seatbelt and you get into an accident, you wont get full coverage if you get any at all. because you willingly put military equipment/property at risk.
4. Other than a select few I don't really have any friends, and haven't had a girlfriend since 8th grade, and with the exception of my HEMI...lol I have and lived so far a very boring and dull life, so I'm a Thrill Seeker
no offense, but WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! here is a great opportunity for you to not become a statistic by going military because you havent put enough thought into your life until now and are looking at the easy options. life is only as boring as you let it be. thrill seeker eh? imagine this... you are on a boat/sub for 6 months at a time doing the same thing every day for 3 weeks, then you change up and do a different job for 3 weeks, then another, then you go back to the original job. (navy trains you in multiple things cus there is no sense in having fire fighters on a ship doing nothing until there is a fire, make'm work) add into that, you meet some cute thing out one night and hook up in the military town, she's cute, she says she loves you, you think you love her cus you had sex with her, she gets pregnant then you marry her, she divorces you and takes half your paycheck for the rest of you career. or everytime you are out to sea for 6 months she's at the bar with god only knows what kind of trash doing god only knows what behind your back.

here's a thrill, its called REAL LIFE. you are about to enter it. prepare yourself.

5. I'm very good with computers hardware and software......very good, I could hack this site if I wanted to...........relax I like this place a lot, anyway If I like it and when I get my college degree and if it pays good I'm might go career
might? now is the time you need to be deciding what you want to do with your life and how you will go about it.

6. 8 weeks of PT would do my fat ass some good lol, though I'm am worried what the drill instructors would do to me cause I cant do a single push up...... if you cant do a single pushup, then (and im using your words here) you need to get your "fat ass" into some kind of shape or that 8 weeks will turn into 12 or 20. the military would rather "recycle" you to a beginning week of training and keep you in training till you are fit enough to graduate than kick you out. trust me, ive seen it done.

so I got a question for the veterans that's on this site how is it, and whats it like, and for those that's not in the navy tell your side
why navy? not knockin it, just wondering your personal motivation towards navy over the other services? as for my other comments, I may come off as harsh, but im not going to sugarcoat shit for you. i was told all sorts of things when i joined the service. "oh yeah, we'll put you at this base. Sure, you can do that. You can turn down a TDY." id rather you think hard about this decision instead of sitting on your ass till you realize that you didnt do anything with your life while you were in high school, barely passed, and now you have no options for your future.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
aston70

Drives: Me Nutz!! Arrrrgh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
if you cant do a single pushup, then (and im using your words here) you need to get your "fat ass" into some kind of shape or that 8 weeks will turn into 12 or 20. the military would rather "recycle" you to a beginning week of training and keep you in training till you are fit enough to graduate than kick you out. trust me, ive seen it done.
That's the truth. Quit playing happy hacker and go do something.

I had a friend that joined the marines because he thought his uniform could be used to pick up girls, but he couldn't do 3 pushups. He had bad reasons for joining in the first place and a lack of desire to put forth the effort they required. And like Spike said, he spent extra time in training until he graduated and was kicked out shortly afterward. He was in long enough to get a tattoo and a couple beers and that was about it.

That said, if you do want to get into computers, the military is not a bad choice. I'm a developer myself and many of the people I work with were in the service. My IT manager was a Marine, our dba was in the Army, our network guy was in the Air Force. Another developer was in the Air Force for 10 years, worked on F15s in Korea. Another one of our helpdesk technicians was in the Navy.

The company I worked for prior to my current job was federal government and if you have prior military service it not only gets you hiring preference, it also counts toward your retirement points / vacation time.

If I had to do it again, I might have joined the Air Force. When I was about 19 I went down to the meps station to do my physical, but my father had a stroke that very same morning and so I never went in. Because my asvab was so high, I was set to ride in the back of an awacs plane. That was the plan anyway. I really don't regret not joining though. I was always into something so I never got bored and my career turned out pretty well.
aston70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
warning looong winded

Ive been a Missile Technician working hands on with neclear weapons/systems. less than 1% of the global population can say that. I can also say that I hated it, just as much as I loved doing my job. I spent 5 years aboard a submarine and the only thing I've seen is nothing literally. So if you want to see the world and get the "sailor experience" dont go to a "Boomer" (ballistic submarine) and dont become a missile technician, because the trade off for being in that 1% is being stuck in Georgia, and Washington. the good thing about being on a boomer is the rotation (time out to sea, and in port). Every one I know thats been booted to the surface community loves it. And be prepaired to spend

A LOT OF TIME CLEANING AND SITTING AROUND WITH YOUR THUMB UP YOUR A$$

or pretending to clean. Everyone's gonna say dont waste your benefits but using them wont be as easy as just using them. Some commands require that you qualify every thing before they let you use tuition assistance, and there are restrictions on how many credits you can get per fiscal year.
Being on subs you tend to get paid more. If you want to know anything else about being a MT just pm me. If your in any Mechanical/Electrical rate get in to the Navy's apprentanceship program! No one will tell you about it (I just learned abourt it on my way out the door) and by the time you get out you can already me at a journeyman level making an automatic 35+ dollars an hour as an electrician/mechanic. Dont forget this because you may never hear of this again. If you do forget your smart transcripts (you'll know what they are) will give you credit. As a MT Washington's giving me 4000 hours based on my rate's training.

Unfortunately people in my situation are shafted, my injuries disqualify me for any type of technical job. but If I had been in admin while in the navy, I'd be able to hop right into a government desk job making 50K+. There will be people that you will find hard to tolerate...its usually the people from rich families that join "just cause" and think that they're better than everyone. Or the guy that was picked on in HS and has some rank and wants to take it out on junior guys. Learn how to deal with people, befriend everyone trust no one. Befriend everone because networking does wonders, trust no one because you will get stabbed in the back by people who want to advance in rank, or a snot nose junior officer that will throw you under the bus. and never be the highest guy on the totem pole that knows about any situation. (especially the bad situations)
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post

6. 8 weeks of PT would do my fat ass some good lol, though I'm am worried what the drill instructors would do to me cause I cant do a single push up......

I applied for Financial Aid since I've Started College since last year. So Far I'm Debt free luckily since this year and last year I've gotten only Grants and scholarships.

I will just say vary your options.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Plain and simple, here is the best advice I can give. Really think about this decision. Realize that the decision is one that will affect the next 4 to 6 years depending on the enlistment you take. I have watched a lot of people come into the Air Force who after being in for 2 years decide that it isn't for them, but still had to ride out the last 4 of their enlistment and basically in the remainder of the time make it harder on everyone else.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
It is definitely not a choice to be made too quickly.
You will have to be 'within standards' to join, a certain weight for your height, and must be able to do 60 pushups and situps run 1.5 miles....soon. And those standards do not go away, they seem to get harder and harder (lighter and lighter)

As a computer 'genius' the rating I.T. would be for you, for official training and experience.... definitely good for a 4 or 6 year career, to set you up for a follow on career. the rating used to be a slow way to the top, if you stayed in. Now, computers are VERY prevalent, so it could be improving.

Benefits: for a short career (4-6 yr) G.I. Bill just got a BIG boost $$$$ for college, books, rent....
Again training, certifications, work experience all good for resumes...
medical, covers just about anything, some elective surgeries, ATV accidents... ~quality~care sometimes, dental etc...

As with most jobs there will be some jack@$$3$ that you end up working for/with. But you can NOT quit, and you can NOT kick their @$$. Of course there will be great people as well, and then they will move, or you will and you will miss 'em and then you meet new ones... a lot.
How do you feel about boats... BIG ones that do not come home every day, or week , or month.......6 months away from home every 2 years (approximately). But you may get to see parts of the world that most Americans will only see on a screen, some really cool places out there...
If you do not try or get to become an IT, if you chose an Aviation rating, such as AT (Aviation Electronics) or AE (Electrician) etc... you MIGHT go to a squadron that rarely, or never goes to a ship... maybe. Of course even IT people get to leave the ship sometime.....

For a long term career: all the above^^^ and a 20 year retirement plan, that would be EXTREMELY difficult to match on your own.... And lifetime ~medical~care.
Oh, after a few years, you could apply to a program that literally pays you to go to college, then you become an Officer ($$$$ more) and you stay 4-6 years + after college.

Either way: a few years, or 20... it is worth looking into.
Of course the Hair force can offer a lot as well... less boats, more time overseas in places like Germany...etc.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post
Either way: a few years, or 20... it is worth looking into.
Of course the CHair force can offer a lot as well... less boats, more time overseas in places like Germany...etc.
fixed it for you.

yes the Air force has a lot to offer as well. Depending on career field chosen you would deploy for 4-6 months at a time. if you fix planes depending on the af you could deploy a couple times a year or once every 18 months. just depends on air frame. same GI bill and better medical coverage then navy. only say that because I was stationed at a naval air station and wow was not impressed with the hospital there. but pretty much the same benefits.

as everyone else has been saying. find out what the physical requirements for passing the pt test are and start working out now to meet those by the time you leave for basic. If you don't then you could be stuck in basic longer then the minimum required time. (ie af 6.5 weeks turns into an 8.5 week course). just don't go in blindly as most people do. don't believe the recruiter completely. ask members of the service you are going in to what it's like. try to find people that are in the career field you want and talk to them. all I have to really say.

good luck in all that you do.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Be ready to go to war, and don't bitch when they send you. When you join the military you accept that war is your job.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
You are going to have to do what you feel is right for you, nobody can make that choice for you. I was in the Navy for almost 10 years and would still be in if it wasn't for my weight. If you stuggle with your weight you are going to have to change that now. Get started on a regular exercise program and regulate your diet, I didn't and I am still hurting for it.

Even though I wasn't allowed to stay in, the Navy was the best thing I ever did for my career. Make sure you get a job that can relate to civilian life, it will make get out of the Navy easier. Good luck and follow what your heart and mind tells you what to do. If you decide to join the service, thank you for serving and protecting our freedom.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncertime View Post
You are going to have to do what you feel is right for you, nobody can make that choice for you. I was in the Navy for almost 10 years and would still be in if it wasn't for my weight. If you stuggle with your weight you are going to have to change that now. Get started on a regular exercise program and regulate your diet, I didn't and I am still hurting for it.

Even though I wasn't allowed to stay in, the Navy was the best thing I ever did for my career. Make sure you get a job that can relate to civilian life, it will make get out of the Navy easier. Good luck and follow what your heart and mind tells you what to do. If you decide to join the service, thank you for serving and protecting our freedom.

I agree Ive been in for over six and would still be in if I didn't damage my spine and had that stroke. Ive always gotten rope and choked because Im
5'11" and weight 277, its a solid 277 though. If you have problems with your weight now is the time to change your eating habits and diet. I loved doing my job as a MT so make sure that you get into a rate that you'll enjoy doing. the last thing you want is to realize you hate the military and have 2+ years left on your contract.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote