Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Canadian Built Camaro, Foreign Cars and US Jobs

I recently posted in a couple of threads that turned into discussions about our domestic cars (GM, Ford, Chrysler) vs foreign cars.

In one thread, the OP posted that he bought a Hyundai Genesis. He also stated that was struggling in the job market. I chided him about the irony of buying a car that is 100% Korean assembled with a 95% foreign made content. I said perhaps his employment picture, and for many other Americans, would be much improved if people like him bought less foreign cars. Of course, I got toasted for that. I was on vacation and couldn't access a computer to fully complete my position.

Before some of you jump in to remind me that the Camaro is made in Canada, read this entire post. Also, I'm not talking about patriotism. I'm not talking about restricting our free market choices. I am not anti-Asian; my father immigrated to this country from the Far-East. The quality gap is history, so that it is no longer part of the discussion. Again, my point is: It's about US JOBS.

As for our Canadian built Camaros; There is more to this story than where a car is assembled. It's about the US jobs that are created and maintained to produced a car regardless of where the final assembly takes place. It's about employment in the parts and components industry; the research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly of vehicle content.

GM, Ford and Chrysler employ far more Americans per car than the foreign companies, including the foreign implants that are assembled here. The numbers aren't even close. Here are some figures from the Levelfield Institute. They express their findings as number of jobs created per every 2500 cars produced.

"The JPC Rating (jobs per car) is calculated by dividing the total number of cars sold by an automaker in the U.S. by the company's U.S. workforce. It measures an automaker's contribution to job creation in all areas—research, design, engineering and management—not just assembly jobs. From a simple mathematical perspective, the rating tells you how many U.S. workers a company employs for every 2,500 cars they sell.

For example, Ford employs 89 Americans for every 2,500 cars sold, followed by GM and Chrysler at 78 and 92 respectively. Honda ranks first among the major foreign automakers, but only with a score of 54 followed by Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai/Kia at 51, 38, and 26 respectively.

Why do we count jobs per 2,500 cards sold, rather than for each car sold? Doing so produces whole numbers, which are easier to compare. For example, each Hyundai car supports .01 jobs, while every 2500 cars support 26.

Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler supports almost three times as many jobs as buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports 3.5 times more jobs than buying a Hyundai.
"

Alfie

Last edited by alfie43; 08-31-2010 at 10:03 PM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
thank you, i loved that post.
i tried to explain somethign similar to a friend but that summed it up!
thanks!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I do have a slight issue with the Camaro being built in Canada... Nothing against our friends to the North but....

GM took our hard earned and paid tax money and is using it to create Canadian jobs that are desperately needed in the US and has infused millions upon million of dollars into the Canadian economy that could have been kept here...

[flame suit on]
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I do have a slight issue with the Camaro being built in Canada... Nothing against our friends to the North but....

GM took our hard earned and paid tax money and is using it to create Canadian jobs that are desperately needed in the US and has infused millions upon million of dollars into the Canadian economy that could have been kept here...

[flame suit on]
GM also got alot of money from Canada.

I would agree if GM ONLY got money from the US..but they, like Chrysler, were bailed out and helped by Canada too.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
GM also got alot of money from Canada.

I would agree if GM ONLY got money from the US..but they, like Chrysler, were bailed out and helped by Canada too.
Learn something new everyday... I did not know that, thanks....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
...Oh man here we go.... clueless.

To the OP'r - excellent post. Well said, well researched and on point.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
...Oh man here we go.... clueless.
Off topic, but why are half the people on this forum so rude and stuck on themselves???

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Off topic, but why are half the people on this forum so rude and stuck on themselves???

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....
Welcome to the internet
Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
rather have money go to canada then japan or china. Money in canada ends up back in the states anyways
Old 08-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
Welcome to the internet
Oh ya, I know... I guess some people know everything there is to know about everything that can be known in the world (say that 3 times fast)... Met a few of them types in person over the years and plenty of em on the internet....

LOL

To the OP... Nice post....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
rather have money go to canada then japan or china. Money in canada ends up back in the states anyways
Every dollar spent ends back up in the US, no matter which country it goes to. It is all eventually re-invested in the US, as it ultimately has no value anywhere else otherwise.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Very nice comparison. Is there a way to break the numbers down by salary paid out for every 2500 cars? I bet the numbers are even more telling when you include all the US management and engineering. Factory workers aren't paid that much compared to executives, and with a lot of the foreign companies there aren't doing much more in the US than manufacturing and marketing/sales.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:

[flame suit on]
I think you missed my point:
"There is more to this story than where a car is assembled. It's about the US jobs that are created and maintained to produced a car regardless of where the final assembly takes place. It's about (US made) parts and components; the research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly of vehicle content (parts and components)".

I am talking Tier One and Tier Two auto suppliers. They employ hundreds of thousands in the US in good paying jobs.
Alfie
Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
GM is very much a global company now. While it's an American company at heart, it truly is a global company. And that's really neat, IMO.

The Camaro was truly a global effort:

It was conceived and designed in the USA.
It was engineered and tweaked in Australia.
It was test driven and track tested in Europe.
It was assembled and built in Canada.

Pretty unique global effort and I think it's awesome. Big thumbs up to all involved in the creation of this awesome machine.

Last edited by lets_go_bills; 08-31-2010 at 06:20 PM.
lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote