Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #225
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie43 View Post
However, I did look under the car and noticed that I got my Pedder's red coil springs a little dusty...I'll work on that today.

Alfie (Mariano)
Serious question, do you by any chance have a full car hoist at home?
I can understand detailing the undercarrage if you were able to lift the entire car on a hoist for access to the underside, but I sure wouldn't want to have to do it if all I had was a pair of ramps to drive the car up onto.
Then again maybe it's just me getting old and not as flexible as I once was when it comes to laying down on the ground on my back and wiggle under the car to do things like that.

Just curious.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #226
KMSRS2SS
I lurk

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I spent hours on my wheel wells, but that was because of the drag radials I had on before the show. Talk about pain in the ass! Almost makes me not want to go to the dragstrip anymore...almost.

VMS Stage 2.5 Camshaft Kit- Comp cam LSA 114,227/239, .613 .623, RotoFab CAI, VMS ported intake manifold,Kooks 1 3/4" headers with HF cats, Corsa Catback, VMS custom dyno tune,TechAFX engine hose relocation kit, DSS 1400 hp axles, BMR toe rods and links, LS9 Clutch, Hurst short throw with roll out, Liberty Gear built tremec 6060.
KMSRS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #227
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Serious question, do you by any chance have a full car hoist at home?
I can understand detailing the undercarrage if you were able to lift the entire car on a hoist for access to the underside, but I sure wouldn't want to have to do it if all I had was a pair of ramps to drive the car up onto.
Then again maybe it's just me getting old and not as flexible as I once was when it comes to laying down on the ground on my back and wiggle under the car to do things like that.

Just curious.
Serious answer. No hoist at home my friend, and my car is lowered, so I can't even see underneath it. Forget about crawling under it. I am probably older than you, so I understand the question. Yes, it is difficult, if not impossible, to detail and clean the bottom side if the car is not on a hoist.

Here's what I do: Every time it's gets on a hoist, i.e., dealership, performance shop, or even the oil change pit, I clean as much as they and time will allow.

First and most importantly, I don't drive the car in the rain or on wet roads. That way my bottom side never really gets dirty, only a little dusty and that will rinse off at the touch-free car wash that has an under carriage spray.

Lastly, every time I take off the wheels for any reason, I wipe down the coils, suspension components, and wheel wells....sometimes, I'll give the brake rotor hubs a quick coat of silver Rustoleum.

My brother is a club officer in a N/E Mustang club. They have some really clean 'Stangs (and fast) in that group and they are fanatical detailers. One member is in his early 70s; he regularly jacks up his '04 Cobra Terminator on car stands and washes the bottom side with a power washer. I actually saw him cleaning the top side of his mufflers using an inspection mirror and a rag. Last year, one of their members took two hours to get to Milford from this side of town for a Mustang Day at Bakers....normally a one hour drive. He drove the 30 mph back roads to avoid the 18 wheelers on the freeway and potential stone chips.

Very sick dudes those Blue Oval guys, but not us Bowtie brethren....are we?

Alfie

Last edited by alfie43; 06-06-2011 at 03:14 PM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #228
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Cleans the TOP side of his mufflers? That's detailing.
Thanks Alfie.

If you're older then me, it ain't by much.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #229
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Cleans the TOP side of his mufflers? That's detailing.
Thanks Alfie.

If you're older then me, it ain't by much.

PM sent...