Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Motor Mounts (Pfadt, others)?

I'm in the market for motor mounts. I have my eye on Pfadts, but I've heard mixed reviews on them...they seem to be the prefered mounts on Camaro5, however I know some who have them and say the noise/vibration never got better. To the point a close friend recommended I try another option (which i don't really see).

I see many vendors claim they "break in" over a short period and the noise/vibrations significantly reduce. But that's not what i hear from the few I know who have them.

I'd like to hear from those w/Pfadt motor mounts or other brands. Did they break in and significantly reduce the noise and vibration? Or do they pretty much stay the same?

Any other recommendations, or is Pfadt the only real option?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hey PMJ, just a quick comment, peoples reviews are going to be based on a bunch of variables, including their engine mods (like cam/exhaust etc) and trans type (auto is typically worse for NVH). Not to mention how subjective it is to begin with.

Our camaro mounts are literally the same design (not parts) as our Corvette mounts, which is a much "harsher" chassis overall, and we get the same response :most people love them but there are some that it is too much for.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Hey PMJ, just a quick comment, peoples reviews are going to be based on a bunch of variables, including their engine mods (like cam/exhaust etc) and trans type (auto is typically worse for NVH). Not to mention how subjective it is to begin with.

Our camaro mounts are literally the same design (not parts) as our Corvette mounts, which is a much "harsher" chassis overall, and we get the same response :most people love them but there are some that it is too much for.
As per overall client opinion, I do warn them that you will feel the "chassis" more through the steering wheel with the big loping cams. Some customers actually like the feel better because it cuts down on the overall body shake, but it will transmit a bit more through the chassis/steering wheel with a big loping cam. There is very little difference on a stock cam car as far as transmitted "noise" through the chassis.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Thanks. I'll probalby be ordering some shortly.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Love them, they break in a little, but there is no way around more vibration. I love the feeling, it almost completely reduces engine shake in the engine bay though, which is what their purpose is.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

So I'm only a few days in. Part of me likes feeling the engine in my seat, but I know my wife won't be happy. Before I make a longer term decision, I'd like to understand the value a little more.

Will the motor mounts be harder/better/no change on my drivetrain since there is no slop in the engine compartment?
Will they help my 60'?
Any other selling point on why I should consider keeping them?

After installing them, I'm not really expecting and break-in improvement in drivability. They are clearly stiff for a purpose. Unfortunately I have a number of changes negatively impacting drivability at the same time...so not sure how much is one vs. another...
Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Get prothane is your worried about vibrations
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Get prothane is your worried about vibrations
Motor mounts are going to give you increased vibration over stock regardless.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Motor mounts are going to give you increased vibration over stock regardless.
And yet one design generates significantly less than the other...regardless.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
And yet one design generates significantly less than the other...regardless.
Well yes. Solid mounts will obviously have more noise/vibrations than polyurethane. I'm not arguing that. When you say "design" do you mean material? Because I totally agree with you that polyurethane is "softer" than solid mounts. Just saying that both will be noiser/vibrating more than stock.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Synner

Pfadt mounts are NOT solid, I don't know why people keep saying that to include some of their vendors. There is a bushing, its just small.

Pfadt has minimal surface area between bushing and bolt but the benefit is lower weight of the mount at the cost of vibration. Prothane has a much larger bushing in a different configuration that greatly increases the surface area but is a larger mount. I'm unsure of the durometer difference, if any, between the two. But surface area is enough to greatly reduce the vibration issues.

Personally I don't care because I am building a race car not a sedate daily driver, I like my car to be nasty and will be getting pfadt's to reduce weight and I don't care how much it shakes. Women and cars are supposed to shake their stuff.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Yeah, was thinking my wife may actually like the vibration , but i know she won't like the vibration noise. I just put back on my stock mounts. My problem is I changed too much at once, and i'm concerned i may have a problem beyond solid (or stiff) motor mount vibration. I may go back to the pfadt, but want to make sure they are causing my vibration and not the new clutch or something else in the drive train. I'll see how tomorrow goes.

The way my car drove today, i would say it is definitely a race car...installing the roll bar this weekend.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
I hope I don't come across in the wrong way on this, because I say this with the best of intents, but the stiffer mounts won't actually cause any vibration...they will only slightly increase the vibrations transmitted that are already present. The trade-off between increased performance and transmitted vibration is always present when upgrading your drivetrain mounts, but we have done our best study the vibrations and minimize this trade-off. That being said, if there is a slight imbalance in the clutch/flywheel assembly already present, the factory mounts may help hide/dampen the vibration.

The only issue is....the factory mount isn't fixing the problem, it's just masking it. I think you are right on track though, lets see where that vibration is coming from and then take it from there. Ultimately, there will be a trade-off, but it shouldn't be an unbearable one. Let me know how I can help and I'll do my best!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
RaiderSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 DeadBLK
Im happy with the Prothane mounts, stock cam and the DOD is still kicking into four cylinders yet the mounts aren't harsh. They did have to settle and get retightened but the throttle response is better...

They also lower the block a bout 1.5" which is cool for top intake or blower clearance but maybe an issue if your are lowered and running long tubes.
Attached Images

Last edited by RaiderSS; 04-23-2013 at 01:01 PM.
RaiderSS is offline   Reply With Quote