Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #113
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I am definitely am experiencing some kind of clutch-assembly-component failure or synchro issue. Mine has not stuck to the floor (yet) but engages at inconsistent points of clutch pedal travel, mostly way up at the top. Also, it doesn't feel like the clutch is fully disengaging because shifting is very notchy and has even grinded gears several times, mostly when cold or during "spirited" driving. (NOT AGGRESSIVE-COMPETITIVE DRIVING) It's mainly 1st to 2nd gear. I dropped the car off at the dealer today. Hopefully GM comes through.

rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #114
nascar14fan

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/CGMStripes/RS/6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post
I am definitely am experiencing some kind of clutch-assembly-component failure or synchro issue. Mine has not stuck to the floor (yet) but engages at inconsistent points of clutch pedal travel, mostly way up at the top. Also, it doesn't feel like the clutch is fully disengaging because shifting is very notchy and has even grinded gears several times, mostly when cold or during "spirited" driving. (NOT AGGRESSIVE-COMPETITIVE DRIVING) It's mainly 1st to 2nd gear. I dropped the car off at the dealer today. Hopefully GM comes through.

That is how mine started.
nascar14fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #115
KATHY63

Drives: 2010 IOM manual 2SS
We had to have our clutch, flywheel and the slave cylinder replaced last year. It did look like something was leaking but I think it was something wrong with the brakes, but I'm not positive. When the mechanic was bleeding the new system as told to do by GM, the new clutch stuck. When the designer of the clutch, finally called and talked to the mechanic, he told him that the new one also stuck. They do know that there is a problem! The designer of the clutch called my husband and I about the problem because it happened several times. When we took it back to the dealership we bought the car from, for the third time they just drove the car real hard when I was a passenger and it didn't stick. They said that it was impossible. We took it to the dealership where my husband works and they did all the work. They replaced everything because it had premature wear on it. It has happened a couple of times with the new clutch also. When we went to C5F we talked to Al Oppenheiser and he said that he would contact us. Well, needless to say he has not. We drive ours and periodically take it to the dealer to have it looked at because of the clutch. We were not driving competivley when the clutch stuck and yes it happens from first to second. It is a very frustrating problem becuse you just don't know when it will happen and to have that awful clutch smell afterword is horrible.

Who did you talk to at GM? anyway I can get their number?

Last edited by KATHY63; 05-20-2010 at 07:40 AM.
KATHY63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #116
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
If fluid change and regular servicing of the hydraulic system is the answer to sticking clutches then it sounds like a relatively easy fix and not something people should be getting turned away for. IMHO Jamie
Bingo. If that's all it takes to fix it, there was no reason to put me through the ringer like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I'd like to say ALOT..... but I'm gonna bite my tongue... For now.

O.P. Please have your fluid changed by an outside source, other than GM, and check the clutch out again.
Alright, I will. As I said, the dealership says they did it, but I'll get it done myself and see if it changes anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar14fan View Post
That is how mine started.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATHY63 View Post
We had to have our clutch, flywheel and I think something else replaced last year. When the mechanic was bleeding the new system as told to do by GM, the new clutch stuck. When the designer of the clutch, finally called and talked to the mechanic, he told him that the new one also stuck. They do know that there is a problem! The designer of the clutch called my husband and I about the problem because it happened several times. When we took it back to the dealership we bought the car from, for the third time they just drove the car real hard when I was a passenger and it didn't stick. They said that it was impossible. We took it to the dealership where my husband works and they did all the work. They replaced everything because it had premature wear on it. It has happened a couple of times with the new clutch also. When we went to C5F we talked to Al Oppenheiser and he said that he would contact us. Well, needless to say he has not. We drive ours and periodically take it to the dealer to have it looked at because of the clutch. We were not driving competivley when the clutch stuck and yes it happens from first to second. It is a very frustrating problem becuse you just don't know when it will happen and to have that awful clutch smell afterword is horrible.

Who did you talk to at GM? anyway I can get their number?
Kathy...your post means to me that GM is lying through their teeth when they say that nobody else has reported the issue. They didn't say "few reports"...the Camaro brand manager and the clutch engineer who supposedly designed the system claimed my case was the first they had heard of any clutch issues. @#%^$^#@! I'll send you a PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #117
nascar14fan

Anyone on here who has had clutch problems in the past or now please check out the clutch petition thread and sign. I see alot of names on these other threads that are not on the petition yet. Copy and paste these to a document and we can take it to the dealer and above. Come on guys there is power in numbers.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #118
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Guys check out this link. I posted it in the cutch petition thread also. I hope it helps.

http://www.torcavettes.com/tech/ClutchHydraulics.htm
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #119
summitss/rsls3

Drives: summit white/IOM ss/rs ls3
GM sucks, my service manager told me that when he called about the problem they had never herd of such a thing. I really hope GM takes responsibility for this and makes it right because im tired of my car being in the shop and nothing getting done about it.
summitss/rsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #120
KATHY63

Drives: 2010 IOM manual 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar14fan View Post
Anyone on here who has had clutch problems in the past or now please check out the clutch petition thread and sign. I see alot of names on these other threads that are not on the petition yet. Copy and paste these to a document and we can take it to the dealer and above. Come on guys there is power in numbers.
where is the petition? Can you post a link to it please. Thanks
KATHY63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #121
nascar14fan

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84256
not sure if this will work? Its on the same page that you got to this thread on
Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #122
O2BQIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Guys check out this link. I posted it in the cutch petition thread also. I hope it helps.

http://www.torcavettes.com/tech/ClutchHydraulics.htm
Thanks motorhead. This is helpful. In my case though, I want GM to take care of this...I don't think it should be my responsibility to fix and I don't think changing fluid regularly etc is acceptable.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #123
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BQIK View Post
Thanks motorhead. This is helpful. In my case though, I want GM to take care of this...I don't think it should be my responsibility to fix and I don't think changing fluid regularly etc is acceptable.
Just trying to help. I do agree that they need a design change in the hydraulic systems in these cars. I don't really understand why they won't fix it either because it's been going on in the corvette for a long time and now in the camaro. I just have become accustomed to changing the fuild.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #124
Lfsabch

Drives: 2018 Camaro1ls
Quote:
Chevy Camaros have their fans, but there are many instances of clutch problems-especially the infamous "sticky clutch." Fortunately, there is more than one way to correct this problem and these solutions are something that you can do yourself.
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* DOT 4 brake fluid (for clutch reservoir)
* Drill and 1/8 inch drill bit

Step 1

Check to see whether you need to change the clutch fluid in your reservoir. A Camaro uses DOT 3 which emits steam or gas that will cause the hydraulic system to malfunction after it's compressed. Replace the fluid with DOT 4 brake fluid because it has a higher boiling point.
Step 2

Remove the hydraulic line from the master cylinder and expand the hole in the brass fitting on the braided steel line. Use a 1/8 inch drill bit, and carefully advance and retreat with the drill. Remove any metal filings until you have lessened the restriction. You might have to drill about an inch or so. Make sure you don't drill through the line as you do this adjustment.
Step 3

Replace the master cylinder for the clutch if no other adjustments work. Replacing the slave cylinder and the assembly for the clutch may also resolve the clutch problems.
amazing how its all over other sites and yet GM hasnt heard of this yet,.. definetly has stopped my Camaro Purchase dead in the water, so glad this forum exists and saved me from sinking all my money into it. but does changing the fluid regulary(roughly how often) actually fix it? or is it still jerky and or engaging only at the top ?
Lfsabch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #125
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BQIK View Post
OK, you want it fixed, but only by GM since it should be warranty... Fair enough.

Please go into detail on how you made the new dealers car pedal stay down, all the details please.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #126
O2BQIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
OK, you want it fixed, but only by GM since it should be warranty... Fair enough.

Please go into detail on how you made the new dealers car pedal stay down, all the details please.
Exactly...If I could replace the clutch and hydraulics with aftermarket parts but keep my warranty, I would have already done so.

Below is the process I used to recreate the clutch smell for the GM person on the dealer stock car. This is NOT the only circumstance where the clutch will smell, but it happens consistently in this circumstance. My clutch pedal has stuck only a couple of times and I have not determined how to recreate it consistently.

My approach was to simulate a situation where you are driving in stop and go traffic headed uphill, which is a situation I face on a regular basis and is guaranteed to result in the problem.
Find a hill in a residential area where you won't have cars coming up behind you. Stop on the hill where you are pointing uphill. Start from a stop trying not to roll back too much (because if you were in traffic you'd hit a car behind you), and once you're moving, put the clutch back in and roll backwards back to your starting place. This requires less than 1500 RPMs. Repeat a couple of times if it doesn't happen on the first shot.
I think one reason it's hard for dealers to replicate is that heat builds up. If the car sits all day and then they try to reproduce in one shot, maybe they can't, but if you're driving it around for 20 minutes and then try to replicate (or if you're stuck in traffic going uphill) it's pretty easy and consistent.