Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
You know, i controbute to this discudsoon group like everyone else, and i have never oncr talked trash about camaros. Its a better car, i know. But this is a threaf aboit detailing.

Anyway does anyone know why i couldnt get the car clean? Is it normal for my drying towell to be filthy? The soap left a lot of residue.
did you wash the car in direct sunlight or in the middle of the day? or was your car sitting in the sun for awhile before you washed it? that will dry up the soap/water real fast and leave the residue you saw on your GT. the best time to wash/dry/polish/wax your car is when the paint is cool to the touch.
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Ordered: June 2009
Born: September 2009
Delivered: October 2009
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
You know, i controbute to this discudsoon group like everyone else, and i have never oncr talked trash about camaros. Its a better car, i know. But this is a threaf aboit detailing.

Anyway does anyone know why i couldnt get the car clean? Is it normal for my drying towell to be filthy? The soap left a lot of residue.
We're just KIDDING.

Run a clay bar over it.

Your towel should be spotless after you dry- the wash should've gotten everything off already. Soap shouldn't leave any residue at all, especially not Adam's soap. Even if it dries, it comes right off and doesn't stain.

Without more information, it's hard to know why your wash was so ineffective in terms of making your drying towel soiled.

I disagree with JRHaus. I personally think microfiber drying towels are the way to go- so do the people at Adam's. And NEVER, EVER, use a blade to dry the car. One piece of stray dust or debris left on your paint will then be dragged across the paint. Very bad idea.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #17
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Ok, I will back up, yes, microfibers are A-OK! I should have stock in them!!! I was talking regular cotton bath towels... Sorry.

As for the blade and debris... If you wash the car as meticulous as you should... Where is it going to get a piece of debris? furthermore... couldn't that same piece of debris get stuck in your microfiber?? . Plus, no pressure on the blade... It just gets the bulk water beads off.

I love the blade. Works great.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
You'll get there. Takes a little time to learn all the do's and don'ts, but you'll be fine.
Checkout the Junkman videos. He is a fanatic about paint. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #19
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
I clayed her on Aug. I ran the hand on the paint with a plastic bag. It was pretty smooth. Not as good as in Aug... but it was pretty smooth. I didn't see a need to clay again.

Oh, guys, it is ok to save your soapy water? I covered my bucket with the water and shampoo in it with the wash mit. I put like hjalf the bottle in there between the bucketa and the soap gun. I think I wanna hold onto it so I dont run through all my soap. Is that ok?

I wish I bought the glaze...

How many times can I wash her before I strip the wax? I used 2 coats of Adams' Americana Paste. I think i threw it on rather thick. I was putting the applicator on the wax, turning it and PUSHING with my fingers to make sure it was absorbing it into the applicator.

I have to clean my towels... Should I put them in the washing machine? I used the Adam's great white drying towell and the double soft microfiber whites for buffing. Any thoughts?
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
No dont save your soapy water! Seriously do you save your soapy shower water in order save a buck when washing your @ass? I bet you dont.

Dont do the same thing to your car. Use the two bucket wash method and toss the left over water when done. Yes the soap is pricey but the added work you will have to go through in cleaning up the scratches from the dirt left in the water is even more expensive.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
denny2188

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2LT
I think you need "Spell Check" too!!
denny2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #22
JHL88

Drives: 02 z06
nice looking car man. do you have any grit gards? i would suggest you get some, along with a dual action polisher it will work wonders, trust me. like someone else mentioned watch the junkman videos for detailing. good luck
2002 torch redc5z06 - sold :(
'13 z71 4x4 - DD

www.fquick.com/JHL88
JHL88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
cleanwhiteSS
2011 White Camaro RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS/2SS
I think your Camaro threw up!! Just messing with ya. Looks good.
cleanwhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #24
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
I clayed her on Aug. I ran the hand on the paint with a plastic bag. It was pretty smooth. Not as good as in Aug... but it was pretty smooth. I didn't see a need to clay again.

Oh, guys, it is ok to save your soapy water? I covered my bucket with the water and shampoo in it with the wash mit. I put like hjalf the bottle in there between the bucketa and the soap gun. I think I wanna hold onto it so I dont run through all my soap. Is that ok?

I wish I bought the glaze...

How many times can I wash her before I strip the wax? I used 2 coats of Adams' Americana Paste. I think i threw it on rather thick. I was putting the applicator on the wax, turning it and PUSHING with my fingers to make sure it was absorbing it into the applicator.

I have to clean my towels... Should I put them in the washing machine? I used the Adam's great white drying towell and the double soft microfiber whites for buffing. Any thoughts?
Ok after reading that, this is beyond my abilities to fix.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
WhiteCrane

LOL. I'm cheap. I used WAY too much shampoo. I'm over it. Guys, THANKS for the replies. I'm glas the car came out great. Special thanks to Junkman for showing me the way.

I'll suck it up and buy a gallon of shampoo. I'm over it. lol.

I'm told to wash microfiber towels on HOT, and use normal detergent. Any thoughts?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #26
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Yes wash them on hot, and I hand wash mine so wouldn't know about detergents. Now, about the Americana wax. First off, I commend you for buying it, it is the top of the line and a pretty penny to boot. But, it is the best for its price. All that said, you do not need to lay it on thick. Just want to lightly coat your applicator pad with it and then do as much of a panel as you can. Then, if you want to do a second, or be it third coat, wait 24 to 48 hours in between coats.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #27
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
Towels washed warm or hot but no softners added. Porta cable works wonders! It's expensive yes, but worth every penny spent. Black is dam hard to keep clean but looks the best when done right and kept up. Good luck.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #28
WhiteCrane

2 questions.

1. To clean the towels, if you don't use detergent... What do you use? I'll do it your way! Hand soap???

2. Darn. I didn't wait ANY time between my coats of Americana paste wax. That was Saturday. Can I just dust her off and wax her again? She's been driven, but for the most part has been in my garage.