Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
larietrope

Drives: 1970 Boss 302
brake squeal

Anything new on brake squeal ? Mine does on occasion, enought to get my attention.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
Anything new on brake squeal ? Mine does on occasion, enought to get my attention.
Talked to the service manager at my local dealership. As of right now there isn't a fix for it, but he says he'll let me know as soon as it's ready to go. Right now GM is still checking on it.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
cremaley
10 SS

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS Imperial Blue
Mine also squeals occassionaly. So does my Harley which also has Bembo brakes. The Harley Service Manager told me its a build up brake dust forming a glaze on the rotors. He told me to wipe the roters down with a product called Brakefree. It works. The prodrblem seems to worse in the hot summer months. As far as my Camaro is concerned, I have not used the Breakfree yet. I simply drive on a highway and hit to brakes so the caliper grabs the rotor and cleans the glaze off.
cremaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
For the car, they say to do 2 fast backward stops - hard. that should clear off the glaze...haven't tried it since mine never squealed. Now have Still rotors with Hawk Ceramic pads on...still no squeak but still bedding them in...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
mtm864

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I also noticed mine did it twice..Anyone put any replacement pads on with the Brembos? Like a Lower dust rate pad? I notice that the stocks produce alot of brake dust
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
For the car, they say to do 2 fast backward stops - hard. that should clear off the glaze...haven't tried it since mine never squealed. Now have Still rotors with Hawk Ceramic pads on...still no squeak but still bedding them in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm864 View Post
I also noticed mine did it twice..Anyone put any replacement pads on with the Brembos? Like a Lower dust rate pad? I notice that the stocks produce alot of brake dust
The Hawks, that the other quoted poster mentioned should do the trick. As well as can be anyway. Hawks don't have the 'dummy tabs' that let you know when it's gets low. (They only have a tab on one or the set.)
Old 01-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
They replaced the pads on mine........starting to squeal again.....yehaw!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
What did you replace the pads with? I've never had a squeal issue, and still don't with the Hawk Ceramics & Stillen rotors. They aren't fully bedded though...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Dealership replaced them with....OEM......I didn't argue because I wasn't paying....but they are going to squeal again...I just got 5,000 miles of free breaks.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Greatness
Greatness

Drives: Camaro
my brakes make noise and at my free oil change i asked them about it and they said they are fine and the pads are good so i dunno wat to do i hate the noise makes the car look bad in my eyes

2G1FB1EV9A9153166 WWOOO!!!!
Greatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
BUMBLE B

Drives: 99 Z28 CONV and 2010 SS
T.S.B. 10-05-23-002 is a tech bulletin that relates to the slow speed cold brake SQUAKNG that Brembo's have. It seems to work for some. GM knows about it, but say"Brakes work, and squealing is 'norml" I don't accept that. Going back again for another pad set, and will try the "Bedding in" process for 'em as I'm tired of the SQUAKING now. Breaks are great when warm.
BUMBLE B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Most do not want to hear this, but high performance brakes squeal especially when you do not drive them hard. There are numerous threads on this and they all end up in the same place. GM will do what they can with weights and anti squeal past on the back plates, but unless they dumb down the brake pad compound the squeal will stay. Some after market pad company could sell a fair amount of average brake pads to Camaro owners that are sensitive to the brake noise. I pay no attention to it because I know that is normal. If you think your are noisy you should hear the carbon ceramic brakes on the ZR1 or other exotics. It is all relative and also personal. If you don't like the noise it gets more irritating every time you drive the car. I wish I could offer a more confident opinion on a solution, but you can find the same complaint about high performance brake noise on the Porsche, BMW, name the brand forum. The OEM has to choose between performance brakes that ft the performance capabilities of the car and the tolerance of customers to brake noise.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

I agree with you normally Pete but there are some extreme cases on the squeal some folks have been experiencing. Mine sounded like a freight train crash at one point. But you are correct on the weights. I have the roller skates on min (front only) and I have 0 squeal now. Had them for a month or so now. But you are right in that there are trade offs for performance.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
I agree with you normally Pete but there are some extreme cases on the squeal some folks have been experiencing. Mine sounded like a freight train crash at one point. But you are correct on the weights. I have the roller skates on min (front only) and I have 0 squeal now. Had them for a month or so now. But you are right in that there are trade offs for performance.
I never say never and never say ALL. LOL
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote