Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Idea for a new Chevy model...

So, after seeing a few of the threads in this section regarding Pontiac, and the solstice targa that someone just bought... it got me thinking.

Why not redesign the Solstice/Sky and put it out as a chevy? They were nice little cars to begin with, and I'm sure there would be a market for them...

Look at all the aftermarket for the Cobalt SS, what if they had a platform to work with that wasn't wrong wheel drive, but had the same turbocharged motor?

Sounds like a good idea to me
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Because to do so would require A) Completely overhauling the Kappa platform and its assembly process or B) Utilizing Alpha, which is already experiencing some delays.

Not saying it wouldn't be a good idea. It would just take some time, money, and engineering that GM's already set aside for existing programs. Maybe some time in the future.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Camaro and Corvette are the sports cars, no reason to add more.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Perhaps a small four seat sedan that is read-wheel drive or maybe (gasp) all-wheel-drive. I'm talking compact small, like 175 inches to 180 inches.... The idea I have in my head is something of a modern Nova in the Chevy lineup, albeit something that is brand new and doesn't rely on a long dead nameplate. I'd like to see a fresh nameplate and non-heritege styling that would be modern instead. There would be a choice of normally asipirated Ecotech four at about 180hp or the 260hp 2.0 turbo. Curb weight would fall somewhere in the range of 2,900 to 3,100 ensuring more than decent performance and fuel efficiency in any package. Base prices would start in at about 19k with options going up to about 28k. Two problems; would anyone want this and how can GM make it profitable?
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
I think an ecotec powered roadster in the chevy lineup would be great. It would allow those that want something a little more nimble than the camaro, but can't pan out the dough for the 'vette to still get their chevy. The sky and solstice redline/gxp are awesome cars.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Shadowsong

@ Fearer, Almost like a WRX/STI or Evo type sedan? I'm sure that would definitely have a market, especially since mitsu has killed the evo off to focus on EV technology, lots of evo fans now have to go for a subaru, or nothing at all.. it's a niche market, but I'm sure they would welcome something new, especially considering how well the cobalt handled around a track and responded to mods.

@ 8cd03gro exactly, much like the above statements to Fearers idea, there are cult followings for this type of car, look at the Miata it is an autocross monster and has a large following partially because of that.

Even outside of the cult following market strategy, there are people out there that want a small, nimble car and to these people the 'vette is either out of the picture because of money, or size... because the vette may be nimble, but its not exactly small.

If this were to happen I'd like to see a coupe along side the roadster, because I'm not a big fan of roadsters to being with...

If they execute it right, it could very well obtain a cult following, hell if they took time to take it to the ring like they do a lot of their sportier cars now, tweak the turbo ecotec a bit, and try to keep the weight down it could even potentially compete with a lotus elise/exsige for a fraction of the price! Wouldn't THAT be cool?

Edit: Some people might not like the idea, but a car like this would persuade people who usually buy imports (the people who buy them for legitimate performance reasons... not the ricers) to consider a chevy, much like the Cobalt SS did in it's day.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65

Weeeeeeell GM did just unveil this a few weeks back.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Shadowsong

Oh yeah, I remember that.. Wasn't it supposed to be a hybrid or something?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65

Yup, something like that. Similar to the Volt, except the ICE is primarily for performance rather than extending range.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Shadowsong

Ehhh. Well that sort of killed the concept I was going for with the idea.. lol

Not really a fan of electrics, or hybrids. They just don't work (imo) especially in a performance setting.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Ehhh. Well that sort of killed the concept I was going for with the idea.. lol

Not really a fan of electrics, or hybrids. They just don't work (imo) especially in a performance setting.
Technically they work better than ICEs. Instantaneous peak torque on launch and no transmissions to fiddle with.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Just bring back the friging nova for peat sake. The real nova
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
@ Fearer, Almost like a WRX/STI or Evo type sedan? I'm sure that would definitely have a market, especially since mitsu has killed the evo off to focus on EV technology, lots of evo fans now have to go for a subaru, or nothing at all.. it's a niche market, but I'm sure they would welcome something new, especially considering how well the cobalt handled around a track and responded to mods.
Kinda except with RWD setup rather than FWD, more like the FT-86 concept. The thing I liked best about the Kappa cars were that they were small, low curb weight, fuel efficient, RWD and were adequately powered. Since this would be a new platform or possibly based off Alpha go with conventional panels vs. hydroformed kinda that Kappa had. Since it would be a sedan (no coupe) this would add a lot more appealing to the causual car buyer, especially in base form. Sticking with a four and turbo-four would keep the screaming to call it a Nova down to a minimum. I would be interested in a car like this as a DD.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Weeeeeeell GM did just unveil this a few weeks back.