Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
Trouble with passenger window: '05 EXT Trailblazer

Passenger window will not roll down. Button on neither door will work to roll it down and I cannot hear the motor even trying to roll the window down so I'm hoping it may be the motor.

Anyone have any experience with this type deal? What do I need to look for to start troubleshooting?

If it is just the motor, would you go ahead and change out the entire regulator?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayap79 View Post
Passenger window will not roll down. Button on neither door will work to roll it down and I cannot hear the motor even trying to roll the window down so I'm hoping it may be the motor.

Anyone have any experience with this type deal? What do I need to look for to start troubleshooting?

If it is just the motor, would you go ahead and change out the entire regulator?
Tayap79,

Sorry to hear about the issue with your passenger window. I understand the displeasure this causes for you. If you'd like me to schedule an appointment for you to have this inspected, please let me know. There may be some options I can explore for you if this is fixed at a certified dealer.

Regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Before changing the motor out make sure you are not getting any power to it, I had an astro van that one of the wires in the drivers side door broke and the passenger side window would not work from either button. It could be a bad switch in the drivers door or a bad wire, or the motor itself. The motor is the most expensive thing so check all other possibilities first.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Tayap79

So come to find out the motor and regulator are fine, cannot find a fuse that is no good anywhere. From what I can tell, the switch for the driver's side module is not working to the passenger window. Anyone know a good way to double check?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Well my wife has a '99 Lumina and my son has a '98 so I just swap them temporarily, doesn't help you any though does it? You are on the right track though, my son's drivers window switched messed up again to I had to fix it. I'll try and explain this so it makes some sense.
Each drivers door window switch is a DPDT switch, Double Pole, Double Throw. On each of the two poles of the switch there is a NC and NO contact (Normally Closed, Normally Open hence two "throws") When you press the button to open the window the "NO" contacts of the switch close and the "NC"s open. The drivers door switches are the "Masters switches, if the driver operates a window switch none of the other switches can work. The other switches go through the masters and rely on their NC contacts to pass the window motor current.
In a nutshell I believe one of the NC contacts on the drivers door switch for the passenger window has failed. That make any sense?
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Tayap79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Well my wife has a '99 Lumina and my son has a '98 so I just swap them temporarily, doesn't help you any though does it? You are on the right track though, my son's drivers window switched messed up again to I had to fix it. I'll try and explain this so it makes some sense.
Each drivers door window switch is a DPDT switch, Double Pole, Double Throw. On each of the two poles of the switch there is a NC and NO contact (Normally Closed, Normally Open hence two "throws") When you press the button to open the window the "NO" contacts of the switch close and the "NC"s open. The drivers door switches are the "Masters switches, if the driver operates a window switch none of the other switches can work. The other switches go through the masters and rely on their NC contacts to pass the window motor current.
In a nutshell I believe one of the NC contacts on the drivers door switch for the passenger window has failed. That make any sense?
Yea, bringing back my college courses on me. So if this is the contact is bad the passenger window won't work because the NC contact is no good right?? Hate it cause these things are expensive to replace if I can't get the module apart to try and fix it.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
There is a recall on the door switch module. Not sure if it applies to 2005 or not, but you might want to check that out.

edit: just noticed you're in Altoona -- I'm originally from State College
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
The window power circuits usually have a circuit breaker instead of a fuse for overload protection. I've seen them fail before and they can be in odd locations.

On my Tahoe for example, they're small silver boxes hidden in a junction box above the drivers left foot.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Yea, bringing back my college courses on me. So if this is the contact is bad the passenger window won't work because the NC contact is no good right?? Hate it cause these things are expensive to replace if I can't get the module apart to try and fix it.
It is a possibility. I'll post a picture of what I've worked on, probably similar. The switch tops have a catch on either side in the middle, they all need to be pried off. Most of the little catches are broken on my son's since I've done it twice but they still will stay on enough. Once you have all the rockers tops off you can pull out the white bottom portion and then pull the whole module out of the black casing. Then each switch rocker can be removed to access the switch contacts. Pay close attention to the location and orientation. I was able to clean up the contacts on my son's and get it working. The drivers window rocker had one of the little spring loaded nibs worn down, filed a point back on it and stretched the little spring a bit and swapped that rocker for a back window one that doesn't get used much.
Attached Images

MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Tayap79

Welp...update: There are no actual switches on for these windows. The windows are controlled by modules in the doors. I thought I narrowed down my problem to being a faulty passenger door module. I showed power to the module but nothing coming to the motor wires whenever pressing up or down on the windows. I replaced the modules today with another one...no dice. What am I missing?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
There is a recall on the door switch module. Not sure if it applies to 2005 or not, but you might want to check that out.

edit: just noticed you're in Altoona -- I'm originally from State College
The recall was on 2006 and 07 models.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Welp...update: There are no actual switches on for these windows. The windows are controlled by modules in the doors. I thought I narrowed down my problem to being a faulty passenger door module. I showed power to the module but nothing coming to the motor wires whenever pressing up or down on the windows. I replaced the modules today with another one...no dice. What am I missing?
Just wondering is your child lockout switch on the drivers door pushed in? Do any of the other windows not work from their switches?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Tayap79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Just wondering is your child lockout switch on the drivers door pushed in? Do any of the other windows not work from their switches?
Every other window works from the driver's door except for the right front. Perhaps the DDM not communicating properly with the passenger door module?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Every other window works from the driver's door except for the right front. Perhaps the DDM not communicating properly with the passenger door module?
So the right front works from the switch on that door but not from the drivers switch?
You say you changed the passengers module. How about the drivers module?