Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 10-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
It's a labor of love; 91 Camaro RS, B4C

I've searched and searched. Could only find T-top model 3rd Gen Camaros. Without even looking for one, I passed this baby at a Mom and Pop repair shop and had to make a U-turn.

Took it for a spin and it begun the dreaded idle surge and wanting to die. Then came a lot of research. I wanted one in the 90s, but it was more of a fleeting dream that just now came true.

A big thanks to Jrhaus (IROCanSS) for pointing me in the right direction and through PM guiding me around this car. John for pointing out vacuum leaks via text messages. Chris for a spoiler that, had I dropped the cash for the blade spoiler like he got, if he hadn't offered up, would have shorted me some needed cash. Camaro 5 for being here and the members that make up a great site and will go out of their way to help another. Awesome folks. I'll throw a thanks to to 3rdgen.org (hope that's okay) because there is SO MUCH information over there it's overwhelming!

Great news is a new motor 305 TPI went in in 2005 and I have the shop receipts and breakdown of parts. There are just over 12000 miles put on the car since that rebuild. 138,### on the car now. The owner's son wanted a hotrod then his focus changed. Lucky for me

It's going to be a long road to get this car back to pristine. However, everything on it is stock except the steering wheel. No dents or dings, but there are some (okay more than some) paint chips and the front fascia looks like a blind person drove it. Interior is otherwise all stock. Door panels are in great shape with no tears. No tears in the seats.

Some fuel injector cleaner, fuel filter, 93 octane, rotor, ignition control module (thanks JR), plugs, clean distributor top, dilectic grease, adjust TPS (thanks John), and double checking vacuum lines...... It runs like a champ!

Been reading about Spohn K members and LS# swaps so who knows.....

This car will be for my youngest son, Sean.

Anywho, the pics. I'll get some more up in time. Right now I'm just cleaning out years of leaves in the car. Those things go everywhere.

16 Apr 12 - New tires (Falken OEM size), O2 sensor replaced, serpentine belt replaced

20 Apr 12 - replaced shocks/struts, replaced endlinks

11 Aug 12 - replaced coolant temp sensor, fixed windshield washers (clogged), replaced starter. Fixed Air intake (cracked/leaked). Noted problem with the negative battery cable. Diagnosed by Matt - faulty contact. Purchased coolant temp switch.

13 Aug 12 - purchasaed side post neg battery cable, windshield wipers; wipers installed.

19 Aug 12 - replaced neg battery cable. Refastened front splitter/fascia on passenger side. Got a bath (the car)

Upcoming: Tuning/Diagnostic by Matt, oil pressure sending unit, remove AIR pieces (?),
Attached Images

Last edited by garcmol; 08-20-2012 at 10:31 AM.
garcmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
elpatofeo
LawBraker

Drives: 10 SIM 2LT/RS & 2016 1SS Hyper Blue
Nice car bro...I have a 92 RS Convertible also. I need to get this car running again, I love it but the new one has been hogging up all the driving time.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpatofeo View Post
Nice car bro...I have a 92 RS Convertible also. I need to get this car running again, I love it but the new one has been hogging up all the driving time.
Thanks! It brings a smile to my face. My son loves it.

I'm thinking I need to replace my vehicle speed sensor. Had to get the gps out and validate my speedometer. 50 on the speedometer is actually 40 and 70 on the speedometer is actually 55. So I don't know if they are adjustable or if in history someone swapped out the rear end gears. Anyway, it's way off!

I do know that the low end torque in these things take some getting used to. Posi rear end and a low speed turn from a stop sign equals some wheel spin. Like everyone says though, this car seems to stop pulling at around 4500 rpm. 3000-3500 rpm shifts feel good though.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Awesome. My very first car was a candy Apple red 91 rs with matching rims, ttops and red interior. I loved that car.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
nice 3rd gen.

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
Camaroirocz
BadMeanIROCZ

Drives: IROC-Z28 Camaro
Looks pretty sweet my man. I like it alot. The motor looks pretty clean and the white is nice.

Camaro IROC-Z28 350 L98; Not stock.

Camaroirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
garcmol

Thanks guys.

Noticed in the trunk area that a previous owner had made a cut in the sheet metal just above the fuel pump area on the tanks. The sheet metal is screwed down now and makes easy access to the pump. From what I've read I WILL be changing a few fuel pumps down the road!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Norm,
Glad you got it running smoothly now. Car looks to be in pretty good shape considering the age of it, with the help of Sean I am sure you two can make it a dream of a ride. This is simply awesome.

Definitely susbcribed to this one.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
An RS with a TPI motor? Sweet!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Norm,
Glad you got it running smoothly now. Car looks to be in pretty good shape considering the age of it, with the help of Sean I am sure you two can make it a dream of a ride. This is simply awesome.

Definitely susbcribed to this one.
Thanks John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
I know, right? The RPO codes show LB9 which is the TPI 305. The odd part is that's always under the Z28. The RS for that year shows TBI. So at autozone to get parts to come up for TPI instead of throttle body injection, I had to search under Z28.

So it's a non-badged Z28 sleeping under an RS
Old 10-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Camaroirocz
BadMeanIROCZ

Drives: IROC-Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post

It's always awesome when someone thinks TPI is still cool. When I go to car meets sometimes I get ALOT of guys checking out my engine bay and car and they usually have no clue what TPI is. Only Fbody guy's do usually.

Camaro IROC-Z28 350 L98; Not stock.

Camaroirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
garcmol

Started color sanding the front end last night. Got a good start on it. The fascia is the worst area on the car, the rest will be touch up work.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
You will get it done I am sure.......
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
garcmol

WELL, WELL, WELL!!!

This seems to answer some questions. I've got a B4C! It's 1 of 592 built in '91. The VINs match, I double checked.
Attached Images