Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
I have a question. Are you sure this is missing paint? I have a similar spot, not nearly as big, but it's the plastic paper or something that was placed between the two pieces........If yours is paint, I would definitely have the whole decklick painted.......you might have to do the spoiler as well if it's missing paint once it's removed, but I would paint no more than necessary. I'm having my front bumper finally fixed from a problem pre-delivery and my guy said there's very little paint on these cars.

Good luck either way.
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Painters always paint by body lines if there is not a body line for instance like this trunk lid then they will paint the whole lid to get it to match or to blend. Normally the side of a Car can be painted in sections since it has good blody lines.

IF a hood has a bad spot they always paint the whole hood right ? There you go this is a trunk lid same thing.

It will come back looking good PQ trust me.

I was told this by my personal painter.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
Honestly PQ I dont think you have anything to worry about. I would assume after the paint is finished you won't even be able to tell it was ever repainted.

This might be the time for some painted rally stripes if you're interested? Nothing obtrusive, maybe some ghost stripes?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Yeah have you some Orange Florida Gator stripes put on the hood and Trunk lol Or a Shrine picture of Sam bradford

its going to look great lol just take it in to the dealership.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #19
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Pq first off im sorry for the paint coming off I would so take it back to the dealer and yes let them paint it.
I just recently bought some paint and we got on the topic of how many different colors/shades there are of each color.
Black has 61 paint codes lol
Gm , dodge , Ford , FiatI mean dodge lol Bmw , Toyota and etc.

He explained these companies forinstance like Gm have the paint codes of whatever color they are going to use. They send it to the company that mixes there paints and they mix sometimes up to 6 different colors to make one. This is done by machine so its 100% to the color. Also a Factory paint code on a Factory Car looks like it was done at the factory first time around. I'm sure your dealer or service department has a good painter most Gm painters are good compared to companies like ford. Around here 2 local Ford dealers use Gm's body shop lol
Anyways They will match the paint !!!!!! Just keep in mind Red , ORange and Black are Big time orange peel colors so look for orange peel if you do get it thats an easy fix just have them give it a good wet sand

have no worries it will be ok. PROMISE

If a Machine can Mix DaytonaYellow it will Mix your black lol All I did was go in and say the year and what color and they gave it to me and it matches 100%
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalenn View Post
Spoke to a buddy who works at a local Chevy dealership. They order the paint directly from GM so they will use the same color as was used at the factory. "The service guy will get the paint code from the plate." I would assume the plate is his way of saying the door frame sticker or something similar? You should see no difference in color what so ever. If you do then take it back and have them do it again until you're satisfied. I agree with the previous poster that they should re-finish the spoiler as well just to be safe.

He said it's a three day job at the most. One day to remove, clean and prep the deck lid, one day to paint and one day to cure, sand and shine it up.
Cool thanks. I never asked when I took my car by the dealer yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY68SS View Post
I have a question. Are you sure this is missing paint? I have a similar spot, not nearly as big, but it's the plastic paper or something that was placed between the two pieces........If yours is paint, I would definitely have the whole decklick painted.......you might have to do the spoiler as well if it's missing paint once it's removed, but I would paint no more than necessary. I'm having my front bumper finally fixed from a problem pre-delivery and my guy said there's very little paint on these cars.

Good luck either way.
Ya. Possitive. He scraped the spot yesterday when I took it in to have them look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Honestly PQ I dont think you have anything to worry about. I would assume after the paint is finished you won't even be able to tell it was ever repainted.

This might be the time for some painted rally stripes if you're interested? Nothing obtrusive, maybe some ghost stripes?
Can't do ghost stripes in black. :( I went last Saturday to get a quote and talk about the possibilities.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #20
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Yeah have you some Orange Florida Gator stripes put on the hood and Trunk lol Or a Shrine picture of Sam bradford

its going to look great lol just take it in to the dealership.
I almost got the RJT just because of the 'Crimsonesque' color.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #21
DocHolliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Can't do ghost stripes in black. :( I went last Saturday to get a quote and talk about the possibilities.
Maybe a different shade of black?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #22
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Maybe a different shade of black?
I asked him about dark grey or a lighter black and he just shook his head no and said just can't do it to look good. He said the closest thing to orange 'ghost' in the black would be to feather the color and use a pearl finish.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #23
DocHolliday

That could look pretty sweet!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #24
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
That could look pretty sweet!
That's my plan. He said he'd do it for 1200.00
Old 10-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I almost got the RJT just because of the 'Crimsonesque' color.
I will say there is a guy on here with a RTJ car with the white or tan interior with white exterior stripes lol Yeah he is a fan lol im sure you have seen the sig with his car by the bigrig.

I'm suprised you didnt pick it either lol
Old 10-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #26
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I will say there is a guy on here with a RTJ car with the white or tan interior with white exterior stripes lol Yeah he is a fan lol im sure you have seen the sig with his car by the bigrig.

I'm suprised you didnt pick it either lol
Actually, I DID pick it. When I sat down to order it I meant to say Red Jewel but what came out was 'Black'

He laughed and asked me why I changed back.

My gut and original vision was black. I changed it to RJT because everyone warned me about how hard it is to keep clean. At the last second I just said to hell with it, I'm getting what I really want.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #27
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
You'll be fine with a repaint! We had the entire bumper on our 2008 HHR SS repainted when we took delivery because of a scratch. A year and a half later it's still fine.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
You'll be fine with a repaint! We had the entire bumper on our 2008 HHR SS repainted when we took delivery because of a scratch. A year and a half later it's still fine.
Name:  smiley_phew.gif
Views: 238
Size:  10.7 KB

Sounds like from what I'm hearing it should be fine.