Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 L99
Compression test done after Cats fail not good!

Well here's my compression test after cats blocked up & detonated the crap out of everything:
Number 1 195PSI
Number 2 210PSI
Number 3 220PSI
Number 4 160PSI
Number 5 155PSI
Number 6 210PSI
Number 7 225PSI
Number 8 200PSI

2 Cylinders down guessing top rings broken, time for forged parts to go in, stroker kit 416 I think.

Will this score the bore if I keep drivin it at light throttle till I have dollars to fix as my daily driver?
Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 / L99 / Whipple SC /Dynatech Headers & Catts (gutted), ID 850 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump +BAP & ADM pump controller, ZR1 3Bar MAP, Dual Elite Catch Cans, 91 octane ,Eibach sway bar kit , Driveshaft loop, oil cooler delete, ADM dual gauges (AFR/Boost) LC1 wideband controller, D/D, ARP stud kit ,Callies forged slayer crank 3.622", callies ultra rods, wiseco forged pistons, L99-LS3, rollmaster double row steel timing set & comps cam timing cover,blower cam 630/660 lift,3/8 pushrods, pac gear 8deg, yella terra ultra lites. LS9 head gaskets. Texas speed custom oil pump. Asm by me.
Kiwi_Camaro_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
If you are prepared to sacrifice the block, then I wouldnt be too concerned if it appears to be driving fine, and isnt dumping a load of oil via the breathers etc

If you want to re-use the block, then the sensible advise is to stop driving it. Although most damage is probably already done, so just depends how much it might take to bore/hone to clean it up, if it is possible.

Could be anything from broken rings, melted piston etc. What were the plugs in those 2 cylinders like ?
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
If you are prepared to sacrifice the block, then I wouldnt be too concerned if it appears to be driving fine, and isnt dumping a load of oil via the breathers etc

If you want to re-use the block, then the sensible advise is to stop driving it. Although most damage is probably already done, so just depends how much it might take to bore/hone to clean it up, if it is possible.

Could be anything from broken rings, melted piston etc. What were the plugs in those 2 cylinders like ?
+1 check the plugs. If they have damage you very well might have loose pieces of piston or rings floating around. You can do serious damage to your block and heads if that's the case.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Are you lburning or leaking oil? those compression numbers are still fairly good thou vary a bit too much, Why not do a leak down test? Or at least put squirt some oil into the cylinders to pinpoint the issue first?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post

Plugs are all good across the board looked normal
If I go forged, I will need to re-hone for extra clearance anyway.
No oil out anywhere except at WOT through real main. So no more heavy foot at moment.
Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 / L99 / Whipple SC /Dynatech Headers & Catts (gutted), ID 850 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump +BAP & ADM pump controller, ZR1 3Bar MAP, Dual Elite Catch Cans, 91 octane ,Eibach sway bar kit , Driveshaft loop, oil cooler delete, ADM dual gauges (AFR/Boost) LC1 wideband controller, D/D, ARP stud kit ,Callies forged slayer crank 3.622", callies ultra rods, wiseco forged pistons, L99-LS3, rollmaster double row steel timing set & comps cam timing cover,blower cam 630/660 lift,3/8 pushrods, pac gear 8deg, yella terra ultra lites. LS9 head gaskets. Texas speed custom oil pump. Asm by me.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
+1 check the plugs. If they have damage you very well might have loose pieces of piston or rings floating around. You can do serious damage to your block and heads if that's the case.
Checked plugs, all good, tried to get a bore scope but could fine anyone with small enough to fit through spark plug hole.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
Are you lburning or leaking oil? those compression numbers are still fairly good thou vary a bit too much, Why not do a leak down test? Or at least put squirt some oil into the cylinders to pinpoint the issue first?
No not burning any oil, so surmise just a top compression ring only failure, definitely notice the loss of power though.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
I'd stop driving it before more damage occurs.....it will not get better!

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
I'd stop driving it before more damage occurs.....it will not get better!
Yes thought I might, friend said he will lend me his spare car for a while, although been looking on Texas speed & performance, some nice stout forged short blocks available (wouldn't have to worry if bored was scored then), only problem is getting it to New Zealand at a reasonable cost. Plus would still need L99 to LS3 conversion & cam to suit then pushrods... the list goes on.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I notice your JRE tuned. Have you asked Ted about why the cars melted? I'm considering gutting mine. What's the best way to gut them?

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
I notice your JRE tuned. Have you asked Ted about why the cars melted? I'm considering gutting mine. What's the best way to gut them?
My Remote Tune is not finished yet with Ted, I am having problem with SCT X3 box logging AFR to livelink gen2, nothing coming through. I am prob bit rich WOT as gauge will hit roun 10.2 when throttle hit hard. What Ive read on here bout my cats sat they are cheap quality with no support for internal material to be locked in with. Being a bit rich could of contributed but just sounds like poor quality material used. To Gut them all I did was put them in a vice, ran a long reach 13mm drill bit through to loosen up, then found a roun piece of steel slightly smaller than pipe size, then hammered out internals.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Definitely a leak down test, pinpoint the issue, rings, exhaust or intake valves etc. If it comes up rings. Removing a spark plug and squirting oil into the cylinder will tell you for sure, provided the compression numbers come up in the low cylinders.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
this is what made me so glad I decided to gut my cats last year. I didn't have any issues with mine and they did look perfect when we took them off before the surgery.

nonetheless, it makes me feel good knowing that particular problem cannot happen to me.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
^^^ and the reason I ordered catless pipes with the LT's. OP - Good luck, we wish you a speedy recovery!