Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #57
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Its a great car, just needs more torque. BBK LT headers had good results on the dyno and like Screaming said, if you get that torque management tuned or fixed, it really makes a big difference. But if you can afford the SS, just go with the SS
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #58
75rusty
awesome!

Drives: 07 Jetta WB, '92 GTI 16vT, '76 LUV
Quote:
Originally Posted by acehole View Post
v6 handles better drives better gets better gas milage and theres only so much horsepower you need to get a ticket with....
You nailed it, sir.
75rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #59
talltom

Drives: Silver LS
This six is more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuspid View Post
I have had 7 camaros/firebirds and 3 442's and 5 corvettes. 304 hp is more than all, but 2 of those cars. My 68 327 camaro was 210hp, My 85 442 was 180 hp. My 86 442 was 170 hp.
I've had several camaro/firebird also (a few LT1's). I'm loving this one.

Silver LS - manual, white stripes, black interior, and those swell 18" black steelies! (18" Bavarian aluminum in the garage).
talltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #60
American Muscle

Drives: #26 Tom Henry Racing 2010 1SS/LS3
I haven't driven the 2010 v6 camaro yet so I can't give you my opinion on whether it has enough power. However, many people try and answer your question by comparing it to cars of old. This brings up a good point that the camaro has a lot of power compared to these cars but is it fair to compare them to cars of old rather than of cars from today? As from what many posts have said you seem to be fairly young as I'm only 22 myself, so i would bet that you have more experience driving newer cars rather than 60's and 70's cars. If i'm wrong than correct me. Most of today's cars are faster than those old car's horsepower's numbers. My old volvo s60 had 250 hp (with a turbo) which is just by looking at hp numbers compares to many of the old camaro's listed in this thread. Now i'll tell ya right now that I thought the volvo had no balls and needed much more hp. I'm not trying to attack old cars cuz shit I love old muscle cars but don't know if you can really compare today's hp numbers to those. The camaro always weighs a lot and have been told that 304 horsepower isn't really that great for the weight. Now like I said i've never driven the car so I can't be the judge, only you can. But to me 304 hp seems like a lot. As stated throughout this thread torque is really the key to how fast a car is gonna feel, especially in your daily driving. It may be cheaper now to get the LT but if your on the fence save up for the 1ss. Thats what im doing. Cuz the last thing you wanta do is spend 25 grand and in a couple of years regret it and wish you had saved up for the ss, just save for what you really want and you can have the car forever, and if the v6 is what you really want than awesome, from what i've read and heard most people love driving it and im sure its a sick car. Just my opinion, hope it helps ya some.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #61
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
If your still young just get the V6, drive it for 2 or 3 years and then trade it in for the ss. That's what im doing. The V6 will hold you over for a few years and it will save you a lot in gas money and insurance money until you reach 25.... And who knows maybe in 3 or 4 years they will make it more powerful or you can buy the Z28 if they make one
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:13 AM   #62
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
People are hinting the Z28 might be a supercharged V6 vs the corvette ZR1 motor and look like the transformer2 car. If they keep it affordable i dont know if i could pass that up.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #63
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Power is a relative term, to some people it will have more than enough power and to others not enough, same goes with the SS, just enough for some, too much for some, and not enough for some, the best way to determmine if it has enough for you is drive one...
Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #64
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
If I had the extra $6,000 I would have gotten the SS. I don't regret my 2LT and with my hard break in procedure it has a lot of get up and go after 700 miles and 2 oil changes.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #65
coolman

Yes
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #66
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Muscle View Post
I haven't driven the 2010 v6 camaro yet so I can't give you my opinion on whether it has enough power. However, many people try and answer your question by comparing it to cars of old. This brings up a good point that the camaro has a lot of power compared to these cars but is it fair to compare them to cars of old rather than of cars from today? As from what many posts have said you seem to be fairly young as I'm only 22 myself, so i would bet that you have more experience driving newer cars rather than 60's and 70's cars. If i'm wrong than correct me. Most of today's cars are faster than those old car's horsepower's numbers. My old volvo s60 had 250 hp (with a turbo) which is just by looking at hp numbers compares to many of the old camaro's listed in this thread. Now i'll tell ya right now that I thought the volvo had no balls and needed much more hp. I'm not trying to attack old cars cuz shit I love old muscle cars but don't know if you can really compare today's hp numbers to those. The camaro always weighs a lot and have been told that 304 horsepower isn't really that great for the weight. Now like I said i've never driven the car so I can't be the judge, only you can. But to me 304 hp seems like a lot. As stated throughout this thread torque is really the key to how fast a car is gonna feel, especially in your daily driving. It may be cheaper now to get the LT but if your on the fence save up for the 1ss. Thats what im doing. Cuz the last thing you wanta do is spend 25 grand and in a couple of years regret it and wish you had saved up for the ss, just save for what you really want and you can have the car forever, and if the v6 is what you really want than awesome, from what i've read and heard most people love driving it and im sure its a sick car. Just my opinion, hope it helps ya some.
The reason we compare this v6 to cars from the last few decades is that probably the #1 most common reason people will give you for why you should get the v8 is "it's not a real pony car unless it has a v8." That's a reason that's based on history & tradition (from an era when base models were pitifully underpowered), so we compare this v6 to the older v8's to prove that that's not a good enough reason - regardless of how many cylinders it has, it still outperforms many time-honored high performance cars.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #67
CamBoy1120
17 Yr old Owner :D

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast4U2010 View Post
I have a black 2SS RS package, My budy at work as a 6 speed RS, both ours came off the truck 2 months ago. I finally got to drive his car I wanted to see what all the bad talk was on the V6.

Wow plenty of power, any one would be proud to drive and own it.

Just remember"Drive what you can afford" and do not keep up with the JONES.

Good luck, let me know when you get it.
Totally agree with this comment... Im also getting a V6.. And looking forward to modding the POOP out of this sucker..
CamBoy1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #68
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
The reason we compare this v6 to cars from the last few decades is that probably the #1 most common reason people will give you for why you should get the v8 is "it's not a real pony car unless it has a v8." That's a reason that's based on history & tradition (from an era when base models were pitifully underpowered), so we compare this v6 to the older v8's to prove that that's not a good enough reason - regardless of how many cylinders it has, it still outperforms many time-honored high performance cars.
Correct, then again so do the Cobalt SS and HHR SS....4 cylinder cars...
Performance cannot be measured by Cylinders.. It's By PERFORMANCE!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #69
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Think GM will offer upgrades to get more power out of the V6? It would be nice to have some dealer installed accessories that can get 330-350 HP out of the six.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #70
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary H50 2SS
The V-6 is a real pleasure to drive. I would recommend it highly, unless you want the V-8 with more HP. The V-6 is faster and more powerful the the 1986 Z-28 that I had, and it had a V-8.