Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #337
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Has the issue of draining the battery been solved? I'm thinking of getting a set of these from a forum member but not if there are issues on them still.
Hit and miss, some of them drain the battery in a matter of days while others leave the car parked for months and no issues whatsoever. If somebody's selling them it could be because of the battery drain. Irregardless of the drain issue you can wire differently than per instructions and have no drain issue problem. Several posts have detailed instructions. Power to taillight only when key is in Acc or On position. Other problems such as fogging lenses and bulbs going out. I just sent one of mine back because three bulbs out. Then again some folks have had them several years with no issues. Depending on the deal you get, they go for like $400 new, I'd say go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #338
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Looking at about $340 shipped. But if there are issues I'm going to pass. I'm not dealing with any extra wiring.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #339
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Everyone has there own reasoning as to whether these lights are worth it to them or not. They simply weren't worth the trouble for me. The AAC plasma afterburners look a tonnnn better in my opinion, and I've had both.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #340
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
lights

Well my Camaro is dead right now pretty sure ha. I had a driver come pick up my Camaro last Thursday. Was supposed to go the body shop the next day well that went sour after waiting 3.5 weeks for a part they send me two left ones instead of a left and right one. But I'm at a advantage it's parked at my chevy dealer right now so somebody is going to have to jump start it to drive it over to the body shop next week. I love my lights also but I have noticed if you go more than two days your battery will be dead
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #341
bbbang

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss/rs ls3
Have them and no problems so far. Not a daily driver sits for periods of time, so leave a trickle charger on the battery and never have a problem with the car.
bbbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #342
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stacy~ View Post
Well my Camaro is dead right now pretty sure ha. I had a driver come pick up my Camaro last Thursday. Was supposed to go the body shop the next day well that went sour after waiting 3.5 weeks for a part they send me two left ones instead of a left and right one. But I'm at a advantage it's parked at my chevy dealer right now so somebody is going to have to jump start it to drive it over to the body shop next week. I love my lights also but I have noticed if you go more than two days your battery will be dead
Do you have yours wired for Show Mode?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #343
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Do you have yours wired for Show Mode?
I have show mode wired on a separate toggle switch in the trunk
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #344
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stacy~ View Post
I have show mode wired on a separate toggle switch in the trunk
For the show mode I went with a remote set up. Around $20 for it on amazon, RP100, same remote as my exhaust flap open/close unit. I just like the idea of being able to sit in the drivers seat and just press a button. Although one time I had the clicker sitting in my Cup-holder and I dropped my drink on top of it and was driving down the hi-way with Show-Mode flashing like crazy. Oops!

IMO if you get these lights there's a chance you will drain the battery. Some, but not all of the units drain, so a battery tender or wire on a fuse that only gets power when the key is in Acc or on position. Not very difficult to wire.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #345
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Checkout Deke736 thread, he's had zero problems since he re-wired so they work only when the key is in acc or on. Crazy how some of these lights have no problems and others completely drain the battery in like two weeks.

So, does anybody know for certain of wire in the trunk fuse box that has constant voltage only when the ignition is “on” that the pink can be connected to for power ? … seems like this is the Holy Grail solution for the battery drain problem.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #346
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Too bad the above is really a band-aid solution, and not a cure.

No I didn't read the ENTIRE thread, but I must ask, is this happening only to those who have show mode wired up ready to go?

Are there any here who have never enabled show mode, but still experiencing the battery drain issue?

I've had mine a few months, and other than condensation(happened on my last car wash on a cold day) on the passenger side pair, no battery drain issues, and I'd let the car sit days.

I have never enabled show mode on mine.

A bit pissed about the condensation though, still debating whether to make a warranty claim or not, or just DIY fix it.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #347
CamaroFan22

Drives: 2SS/RS black with yellow stripes
I had the same exact problem with the ones I got. I came home one night and I went in the garage to do something and saw the taillights in "show mode". When they were tested after the installation the weren't working right in the first place. The next morning the car wouldn't start...
CamaroFan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #348
camguynj

Quote:
So, does anybody know for certain of wire in the trunk fuse box that has constant voltage only when the ignition is “on” that the pink can be connected to for power ? … seems like this is the Holy Grail solution for the battery drain problem.
Found out from GEN5 DIY that on a 2013 SS ... F3 in rear fuse box, radio fuse, should only be hot with key On or Acc. It will remain on though for 10 minutes with the key off if you stay in the car, but once you open the drivers door it will kill the power.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #349
Normagene

Quote:
Found out from GEN5 DIY that on a 2013 SS ... F3 in rear fuse box, radio fuse, should only be hot with key On or Acc. It will remain on though for 10 minutes with the key off if you stay in the car, but once you open the drivers door it will kill the power.
Good to know, I haven't had any drain problems, but you never know. I should be getting my repaired taillight tomorrow or NLT Thursday. Can't wait to get it re-installed, although it is a pain since there is very little room, that lower bolt is the worst, especially if you drop it.

Still getting an occasional afternoon with temps in the hi 40s/low 50s so I'm hoping to get a few more rides in before snow hits the ground. Hate when that darn SALT is on the roads, and definitely won't be driving once that happens. Winter is way too long up here. Texas here I come!

Old 12-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #350
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Next time I need to take these tail lights out, the bumper is coming off. Too tight in there.
Enough is enough.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote