Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Audio / Visual / Electronics/ Gauges / Nav

Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
ageff91

Drives: 2013 ashen grey metallic 2ls v6
what is required for audio upgrades on 2ls?

Im sure this question has come up a million times before but I can not seem to find the answer. Im looking for some help on where to begin with upgrading my sound system in my 2013 2ls camaro. Plain and simply put, I am looking to produce better sound and bass in my car. What are the recommended items I should purchase for this kind of project and what are some models of parts I should get?

Looking for all the help I can get to enhance my knowledge about this aspect of the car as well as successfully complete this project.

Thanks guys!
2013 2ls ashen grey metallic with mrt V2.0, Cold Air Inductions CAI, azure blue metallic rallye stripes, azure blue metallic hockey stripes, oracle led halo dual color blue and white, oracle hid headlights, 20 inch deviant rims in a titanium finish with a matte black lip 9.5 inch front 10.5 inches wide in the back, custom wrap, ghosted side markers. Custom painted dj grille.

ageff91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
http://www.********.com has everything you need as far as wiring in a new system with high's mids and subwoofers withouth replacing your factory radio. If you are replacing your factory head unit then it becomes a lot easier to install but expensive.
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
ageff91

I want to keep my factory radio unit. I want to change my front driver side speaker and passenger side speaker as well as add a sub in the trunk
2013 2ls ashen grey metallic with mrt V2.0, Cold Air Inductions CAI, azure blue metallic rallye stripes, azure blue metallic hockey stripes, oracle led halo dual color blue and white, oracle hid headlights, 20 inch deviant rims in a titanium finish with a matte black lip 9.5 inch front 10.5 inches wide in the back, custom wrap, ghosted side markers. Custom painted dj grille.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Armanhammer

Drives: Black 1LS
This has been something I've been working on for a while got my front and rear speakers replaced now just need to get the amp hooked up which will hopefully be done tomorrow, the biggest problem for me has been with the head unit, you are going to need to use a line out converter to change the signal from speaker level to pre amp I ended up buying the AA-GM44 pac line out converter and cutting off the pac one and adding the new pac LP3-4 running rcas to the trunk for my amp and speed wire back up to connect to the harness. These threads were very useful for me

Front Speakers vvv
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130857

Rear speakers vvv
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/el...r-install.html

Amp install
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213330
and
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214181

If you are not trying to make the speakers too much louder than you just need to replace the front components with better quality speakers and if you just want to add a sub then you can splice into the wiring for the 6x9s in the trunk and add a line output converter to get your pre amp signals for your mono amp for your sub. If you have any questions shoot me a pm I can also send you some pictures of the harness I made for the 4 channel amp because figuring that out took a decent bit of time
Armanhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Armanhammer

******** does not have anything anymore for the people without the boston acoustics system which me and you don't, also you will need to get the speakers adapters for your front speakers, you can destroy the housing for the stock ones but I chose not to incase I ever wanted to go back to stock to sell, I used alpine type Rs spr-60c for the fronts and spr-69 for the rears, don't buy speakers until you listen to them in person because they all sound a little different some are more bassy some have better mids and highs its all about personal preference
Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
THUMOS

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 2SS
Here are two threads that helped me do an install yesterday. The first is basic and walked me through the wiring. The second is more comprehensive and will help with doors and more. (Note: With just a couple subs and a big monoblock, the factory BA fronts do pretty well. Added bass will be more than sufficient for 90% of the people out there).

Wiring in a sub and amp

Total makeover and more

Here's the box I built for my fiance:

Installed in the trunk and peaking through backseat cutout with seats down:

And the trunk view (Kicker zx2500.1, major overkill--but melikes it):

The box is the one thing I wish I'd bought from ********. I like the way mine turned out, but it was a labor of love, taking a week to build. Our trunk is a weird pattern to fit! Good luck and read those threads.
THUMOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
An FYI The bass/mids from the stock door speakers was much better than the jbls I bought, (with the stock radio). I left the stocks in for now until I get an amp!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
ageff91

I decided to not do this project and instead start saving towards my next car.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
Goran
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS

I'm kind of in a similar position here.. I have the Boston in my 2013 2LT and I'm not happy with the sound at all so last week I added 2x10" subs with amp, it most definitely gave me the missing portion for bass... here is the link of the components I got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICBM-5710-DX...aff227&vxp=mtr
with this amp:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-...item19e2de3353

So far its okay, but I was expecting better sound for the big power numbers they are putting out...but I guess you get what you pay for I would need some advise on what is the good product for amp and sub-woofers that I can switch this to get nice clean deep bass?

More importantly I need advise on the front speakers...
I will like to keep my 2013 My Link head unit but as I said the Boston speakers has to freaking go... I know I will need a new amp for the cabin speakers, any recommendation on the amp brand, and some nice component speakers for the front and coaxial on the back? Like brand model and what power they should have?

My goal is to get very nice crystal clear loud sound, with out going all out and breaking the bank... I was thinking Focal K2 so I'm not sure if that's over kill?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Goran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
THUMOS

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 2SS
Look 3 posts up. I did that for my girl's camaro. It is fantastic. Full factory front and factory amp up there. Rear is 2 12" Ground Zero Radioactive subs (GZRW 12D2's) and a Kicker zx2500.

My install on my own camaro is a frigging nightmare. I have a JBL MS-8 processor. Exodus Anarchies in the doors, mids glassed into my A-pillars and 2 polk coaxes for my center channel, with 4 different amps powering it all. Guess what? Hers sounds just as good or better. It makes me so mad with the time, effort and money I've wasted on mine. With serious bass, the factory system shines. My advice...keep it simple. Don't cheap out on the subs and mono amp, but be careful opening up a can of worms and a money pit up front.
THUMOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Goran
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMOS View Post
Look 3 posts up. I did that for my girl's camaro. It is fantastic. Full factory front and factory amp up there. Rear is 2 12" Ground Zero Radioactive subs (GZRW 12D2's) and a Kicker zx2500.

My install on my own camaro is a frigging nightmare. I have a JBL MS-8 processor. Exodus Anarchies in the doors, mids glassed into my A-pillars and 2 polk coaxes for my center channel, with 4 different amps powering it all. Guess what? Hers sounds just as good or better. It makes me so mad with the time, effort and money I've wasted on mine. With serious bass, the factory system shines. My advice...keep it simple. Don't cheap out on the subs and mono amp, but be careful opening up a can of worms and a money pit up front.
Okay fair enough, friend of mine was telling me that all I need is good subs and leave rest factory, but its different coming from this forum, with people actually experienced it on the Camaro such as your self..

So first then I will get some quotes on the parts you just recommended and start from there... if that upgrade is good enough I will stop.. if not I guess I will be hitting the forum back again

Thanks bud!
Goran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
ric4044

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray Camaro LS
I have a similar setup as mentioned by armanhammer in post #4. Honestly its not that hard to make a wiring harness if you have a non BA system as I did and wanted to keep the factory radio. It will costs around $100 bucks to make it. However, the only drawback so far is it sends a really, really strong signal. So strong I have all the gains turned down on my amp. I still have some bass and treble settings in the negative range on my radio. In the next week or so, I will toss the z1sy's, run signal into a LC6i, then back to the amp via the rca's. This should clean up the signal and bring it back down to respectable levels where I can now adjust everything more from the amp side. I had this same setup in an Avalon and it sounded sweet - factory radio - lc6i - 6ch JL Audio amp.. This should sound better in the Camaro but it doesn't because I didn't use the Lc6i, I even upgraded and have 6x9 JL's in the deck. I'll let you guys know how this sounds in a week or so.
ric4044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ageff91 View Post
Im sure this question has come up a million times before but I can not seem to find the answer. Im looking for some help on where to begin with upgrading my sound system in my 2013 2ls camaro. Plain and simply put, I am looking to produce better sound and bass in my car. What are the recommended items I should purchase for this kind of project and what are some models of parts I should get?

Looking for all the help I can get to enhance my knowledge about this aspect of the car as well as successfully complete this project.

Thanks guys!
Will you be listening to HIP HOP/R&B/RAP?
12" subs or larger for boomier bass

or

Will you be listening to Rock/Pop/Country?
10" subs or smaller for better and tighter kicks
VeeGeeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
Armanhammer

I noticed that I only get the signal when the daytime running lights are on I just manually turn them off and the signal goes away, if I'm driving at night i use my high beams and it goes away, I am planning on modifying my harness so that my line output converter is farther away from the deck going to add some speed wire between the harness and loc to move it underneath my passenger side because the rcas are picking the signal up from some of the wires under the head unit. My recommendation if you are going to make a harness for a non ba system is to add about 3 feet of speed wire to the harness and route it to the passenger side it will also be a lot easier than cramming all that extra cable behind your head unit