Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSnoopy48 View Post
We have had a really back experiences with onstar on my grandparents buick. My grandma (91 years young! lol) way driving back home from the beauty salon when she got disoriented and was lost and went down an abandoned street and hit a guard rail. She called us telling us that she didnt know where she was that she had an accident. Onstar called the car like they were suppose and asked her if she was ok and she said she was fine so they didnt do anything. We called onstar trying to get them to tell us her location but they refused to tell us.Even though we had all the information necessary. All they kept on telling us was that she was fine she said which is great but she has no idea where she is! so we had to go searching for her, about 3 hours later we found her no thanks to onstar. Onstar wouldnt send anyone out since they said it hadnt been 24 hour since she had gone missing!!
You could have called Grandma on the OnStar phone, and had her press the OnStar button and ask for "appropriate assistance".
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #16

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Just a side note...When I first got the car, insurance wanted to know if I had an anti-theft device for the discount...At that time, I told them I did have ON-Star. They asked, well are you going to put another one on it. I said maybe.??....
Point is they were luke-warm about accepting ON-Star as an anti-theft device because of its signal limitations and of the owner having the option to cancel the service. I had to send them all the info regarding On-star, proof of it being active, before they somewhat "reluctantly" accepted it, and even then because I was a long time customer.
When I later told them I installed LO-Jack, they were more comfortable with that as an anti-theft device....just sayin'....

Last edited by 90503; 05-17-2012 at 10:06 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
sstnt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSnoopy48 View Post
We have had a really back experiences with onstar on my grandparents buick. My grandma (91 years young! lol) way driving back home from the beauty salon when she got disoriented and was lost and went down an abandoned street and hit a guard rail. She called us telling us that she didnt know where she was that she had an accident. Onstar called the car like they were suppose and asked her if she was ok and she said she was fine so they didnt do anything. We called onstar trying to get them to tell us her location but they refused to tell us.Even though we had all the information necessary. All they kept on telling us was that she was fine she said which is great but she has no idea where she is! so we had to go searching for her, about 3 hours later we found her no thanks to onstar. Onstar wouldnt send anyone out since they said it hadnt been 24 hour since she had gone missing!!
I understand your problem, but you've got to see their side as well. They can't just give out location information to anyone. What if a husband under a TRO called to get information about his wife's location...then went and assaulted her? I can see a lot of problems with it. The post above gave the best solution. Have Granny hit the onstar button while on the cell with you, have her ask Onstar her location and repeat it to you.
$$ down on dealer car #3466, pending Pw: 6-10-2009
Car Picked up by Shipper: 6-22-2009
Car has ARRIVED: 6-24-2009 (and she's a beauty!)
sstnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
sstnt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Just a side note...When I first got the car, insurance wanted to know if I had an anti-theft device for the discount...At that time, I told them I did have ON-Star. They asked, well are you going to put another one on it. I said maybe.??....
Point is they were luke-warm about accepting ON-Star as an anti-theft device because of its signal limitations and of the owner having the option to cancel the service. I had to send them all the info regarding On-star, proof of it being active, before they somewhat "reluctantly" accepted it, and even then because I was a long time customer.
When I later told them I installed LO-Jack, they were more comfortable with that as an anti-theft device....just sayin'....
A lot depends on your location. If you're in a big city (LA since you are in Torrance), LoJack has been around since the early 90's and is pretty big there. Probably the same in NY, Chicago, etc. But if you're in a smaller city, or rural area, Onstar will be where LoJack isn't.

Thinks it's pretty much a personal preferance, and one will be better than another based on variables. But the best bet, if LoJack is available in your area...get both. Save you piece of mind. Also, OnStar is more than just for theft.
$$ down on dealer car #3466, pending Pw: 6-10-2009
Car Picked up by Shipper: 6-22-2009
Car has ARRIVED: 6-24-2009 (and she's a beauty!)
sstnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
Coltrane
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
I have OnStar, LoJack and Glock.
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The equipment law enforcement agencies need in order to track vehicles, cost a crap ton so most agencies actually don't have the equipment. Only the big cities can afford to have it and even then probably less then half of the patrol cars have the equipment installed. What's the point in having it if you are in an area that doesn't have the equipment needed to track your car?
Lojak installs the receiver in police vehicles for free.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Lojak installs the receiver in police vehicles for free.
Key word there.

The department still has to purchase the equipment. I have many friends in 6 different precincts across 4 counties (including a couple sheriffs and police chiefs) and not a single precinct has the ability to track Lojack specifically because of the expansive initial cost to purchase the equipment. If it was free, every officer would have that ability.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
THE ONLY STOLEN VEHICLE RECOVERY SYSTEM OPERATED BY THE POLICE
Through a highly successful public-private partnership with law enforcement agencies around the country and throughout the world, LoJack is the only provider of stolen vehicle recovery systems that are directly connected to state crime computers, making it extremely effective in combating vehicle theft.
LoJack uses a proven and proprietary technology operating on a Radio Frequency allocated by the FCC exclusively for the recovery of stolen vehicles. When a LoJack-equipped vehicle is stolen, the vehicle’s owner alerts local law enforcement. Once officers complete this routine report, a silent signal is automatically sent out that activates the LoJack transmitter hidden in the stolen vehicle. Using special tracking technology donated by LoJack for squad cars and aviation units, police officers can quickly track and recover the vehicle, often apprehending the thieves and recovering additional stolen vehicles in the process.

Key word, donated.
Above text is from the Lojak website.
Your move.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Check the fine print and coverage area. It's installed on mine, but the local LEOs don't monitor it. Go figure. I can see Mexico from my back yard. Then Lojack starts to hound you after a year or two about warranty for batteries that need to be replaced. In my case, it was a waste of money. I just keep OnStar safe and sound plan.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #24
Johng57
Mid-Wife Crisis

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS / RS
I have both. Onstar can be disabled, Lojack can't. Peace of mind... Now I need to get a trunk monkey.
Johng57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #25
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
The problem with Lojack basic systems is that it will not activate until you call their call center and report it stolen. The call center will then activate the Lojack system, and you hope that the police will have the receivers to find the car. If you are out of town and don't find out the car has been moved for a couple of days, you could be SOL. Lojack does make a unit that will notify you via text/e-mail that the car has been moved, but it is a lot more $$$ than the basic system.

The best stolen car recovery systems work on GPS + cell service to activly track your car in real time on a map. You get an e-mail/text message that your car has been moved, and then you can go online and track your car. many of these systems have call centers that will take your theft report, track the vehicle and guide local law enforcement to recover the car. I have one of this type of system in my Camaro, and I can go online through my Android phone to see where my car is from anyplace I can get the internet. Way better system than Lojack.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #26
ICEMAN 316

Drives: FAST
For liberty mutual you get the same discount for OnStar and LoJack..
ICEMAN 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
RacingSnoopy48

Drives: Nissan quest
What system is that? that you can track from your cell phone?
RacingSnoopy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
RacingSnoopy48

Drives: Nissan quest
The price of the LoJack early warning system does that include installation through the dealer?
RacingSnoopy48 is offline   Reply With Quote