Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
STS guys exhaust wrap???

Hey have any guys with a remote mount wrap their exhaust with exhaust wrap and use a turbo blanket to help spool times? I've read online that wrapping the exhuast is supposed to help tremendously with spool time but just wanted to see if anyone has done it on their camaro yet. I will spend this afternoon wrapping my exhaust so I'll post any differences I notice later tonight or this afternoon.
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Pt_killa

I managed to wrap the exhaust cat back and only the turbo side from the h-pipe back. I also wrapped the turbine housing on the turbo. Once warmed up the car spools about 500-1000 rpms faster at part throttle. At full throttle, the turbo starts to spool at the same rpm but I build full boost within 200rpm instead of having to build it over about 500-1000rpm. This mod seems like it was worth the $80 of wrap and coating and 2 hours of labor (couldve been faster if I wrapped with the exhaust off the car). I used 100ft of wrap.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
I managed to wrap the exhaust cat back and only the turbo side from the h-pipe back. I also wrapped the turbine housing on the turbo. Once warmed up the car spools about 500-1000 rpms faster at part throttle. At full throttle, the turbo starts to spool at the same rpm but I build full boost within 200rpm instead of having to build it over about 500-1000rpm. This mod seems like it was worth the $80 of wrap and coating and 2 hours of labor (couldve been faster if I wrapped with the exhaust off the car). I used 100ft of wrap.
Very interesting.....had no idea that wrapping would make that much of a difference.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Very interesting.....had no idea that wrapping would make that much of a difference.
It's supposed to keep the heat in the exhaust and since the air is hotter the air velocity will be higher. More velocity, faster spool I think. Thats what I read anyways, but whatever the explanation is, wrapping the exhaust does increase spool.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
This sounds really interesting, but that would be one hell of a wrap job. I was thinking about getting long tubes with a cat delete to reduce the time it tasks to spool. If I go that route, maybe I'll think about wrapping when I do that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
This sounds really interesting, but that would be one hell of a wrap job. I was thinking about getting long tubes with a cat delete to reduce the time it tasks to spool. If I go that route, maybe I'll think about wrapping when I do that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Wrapping the exhaust would take less than an hour with the exhaust off the car. Since I only have a jack, most of my time was spent crawling under the car and dodging brown recluses. Even then it didn't take more than two hours to fully wrap and spray.

If you do get the longtubes, I've read that its recommended to wrap those with remote systems. Most people I read about lost spool when the only mod change was going from stock to longtubes (going catless might make up for the loss not sure ). It has something to due with slowing down the exhaust because of the design of longtubes I believe. However, some guys got their spool back after wrapping them while enjoying more hp. When you put the headers on take the rest of the exhaust off and wrap everything since part of the exhaust will be disconnected anyways. It should be really easy with everything off. Let me know how it goes if you do!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Once warmed up the car spools about 500-1000 rpms faster at part throttle.
The physics of this are impossible.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
The physics of this are impossible.
Well I don't know what to say, my spool time decreased by that amount and the only mod was wrapping the exhaust and turbo . When I refer to part throttle it's from 25% to 75%. If the physics are impossible (Please explain why I would love to learn new info) maybe wrapping my exhaust did something else like partially covering an unknown exhaust leak or something?

Last edited by Pt_killa; 07-12-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
I never knock someone who has done the work. So I tend to lean towards you getting a performance gain. Answer his question... Why are the physics impossible?
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Because the amount of heat required to drop spool time by 1000rpm is insurmountable. It simply isnt possible.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
Because the amount of heat required to drop spool time by 1000rpm is insurmountable. It simply isnt possible.
I would have to see the equations for this (he did say 500-1000 BTW). I know that there is quite a bit of difference between the head at the manifolds and the heat at the exhaust tips, so some hit is lost as it travels all the way back to where this turbo is sitting. It would be neat to figure out how much and what the loss would be.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I would have to see the equations for this (he did say 500-1000 BTW). I know that there is quite a bit of difference between the head at the manifolds and the heat at the exhaust tips, so some hit is lost as it travels all the way back to where this turbo is sitting. It would be neat to figure out how much and what the loss would be.
It would be cool to do a test like that, would be interesting to see the results. I guess I should've done a more thorough report on my results to remove all of this subjectivity(ie do a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear pull individually before and after from low speed to see when it spools exactly). Next time I do any mods I will be sure to document better.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
Peter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Something else that it could be is with wrapping the exhaust it might of lowered the harmonics, so the exhaust is vibrating less which is making the turbo more efficient with having slightly less vibrations on the housing of the turbo. So less random drag on the turbo shaft.

#280 MASTER MECP Certified
MECP - Sales, Basic and Advance Certified
ASE - 6 electrical certified
10+ years car audio installation, sales and manager
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote