Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #71
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthZL1 View Post
Only if it's a manual! KIDDING!

Not only would I be fine with it, I think it's an awesome idea!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
No problem, wish I could drive a manual, knees are gone!

Sent from a large Hammer.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #72
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
I must admit, I do have some ZL1 parts on my SS. But I in no way envy the entire package. I also have ZR1 parts, GM performance parts and other aftermarket parts. Does that mean I envy them as well?

Early in the thread, somebody commented about the ZL1 being unique and the cost paid for it should be protected. It is a frigging Camaro. Get over yourself.

Mine just happens to be put together the way I feel Chevy should have done it in the first place.

Would all of you elitists be all butt hurt if somebody down badged?
Somebody has a real inferiority complex. No one said the ZL1 was unique or elite. I clearly wrote that it was just a Camaro and I actually get shit for owning one.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #73
BigBoyBlue

Quote:
I guess it is true, stupid can't be debated with.
You shouldn't be calling anyone stupid. Use some of the money you use on Mods and take a remedial reading course. You obviously have problems with reading comprehension. You missed the point of the post.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #74
BigBoyBlue

Quote:
I guess it is true, stupid can't be debated with.
Quote:
I hate to get into this mess of a thread, but I do have a legit question to the OP. I am considering in the near future to build a 69 ZL1 clone. Does that bother you (or anyone)?

Granted the original 69 ZL1s had no specific badging or unique look. But do you think the many '69 ZL1 clones devalue the originals? I am genuinely curious.

(Oh, I don't have a ZL1. Yet. I pick it up Saturday! )

My buddy is looking at buying a GT350 clone. I think it is a waste of money, but there are so few originals out there to buy.

http://mobile.dealercarsearch.com/Ve...e-02812ff1bf42

The only clone I'd buy is a AC Cobra 427 and is because the old ones can put you in your grave early.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #75
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
As a former ZL1 and current SS owner.........

I agree with the OP and others.

I think GM should've restricted ZL1 parts just as they are doing with Z/28 parts. I know that isnt the case but that's my opinion on the matter.

I see where many have drawn the line when it comes to adding ZL1 or Z/28 badges but IMO if you mod the entire appearance of the vehicle to look exactly like a ZL1 or Z/28, I see no difference.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Old 05-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #76
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
As a former ZL1 and current SS owner.........

I agree with the OP and others.

I think GM should've restricted ZL1 parts just as they are doing with Z/28 parts. I know that isnt the case but that's my opinion on the matter.

I see where many have drawn the line when it comes to adding ZL1 or Z/28 badges but IMO if you mod the entire appearance of the vehicle to look exactly like a ZL1 or Z/28, I see no difference.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #77
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
In a way I must agree with the OP. I kinda look at it like my CVO Harley. They will not sell you any CVO parts without a vin# in your name and the broken part in exchange for the new one. Harley Davidson wants to keep people from paying less and having a bike running around looking similar. That's why they come standard with Screamin Eagle engines and certain parts that only come on CVO's. Here's the big but! You totally pay a premium for that right also. They cost 100% more than a regular Harley. Yes there are still tons of parts available for the regular joe bikes that will make them look nicer and outperform the CVO's but they don't hold their value as much as a CVO does. Now if the ZL-1 cost twice as much as the SS and I paid 100gs for it I would be pretty upset that some guy was able to get a ZL-1 front end and install it on an SS. But they don't so it's all good. Just my .02
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
Old 05-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #78
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
I find myself annoyed at the fact that non-ZL1 Camaros can make their car look just like a real ZL1. I feel like we paid up for a ZL1 and there should not be any fakes driving around. Now I'm not saying the ZL1 is an exotic, but it is certainly an upper echelon sports car. I don't like that GM sells these parts that dilute the semi-exclusivity of the ZL1.

When I had my BMW M3's BMW used to protect the M cars by not selling M equipment to non-M owners. I know they have since changed this policy, selling "M-Sport" items. When I had my Pontiac Firehawk, SLP would not sell their upgrades or graphics to non-Firehawk owners, as you had to give them your VIN and car #.

Am I just a baby, or does anyone else get annoyed at the ease at which someone could counterfeit our car?

On the other end, I would be embarrassed to make my car appear to be something it is not. I would never try to pass my car off as a Z/28, now that it is considered the top dog in the Camaro line. It just brings back memories of the 80's when 4-cylinder Mustang owners would put 5.0 badges on their cars.

This post is not meant to piss anyone off who bought ZL1 parts for their already potent SS cars.
There are always going to be wanna be's!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #79
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
I cannot stand clones. I agree with the OP as well. Right on.
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White
Built by Mike @ Rapid Motorsports
784rwhp 757 rwtq on 93 Octane ET - 10.97 @ 128
Heads-Blower-Snout-TB ported & prepared by Jeremy Formato of FasterProms
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395950

Rapid Motorsports 396ci Build
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...1#post10321301
10.832 @ 130.99
Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #80
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
I hate to get into this mess of a thread, but I do have a legit question to the OP. I am considering in the near future to build a 69 ZL1 clone. Does that bother you (or anyone)?

Granted the original 69 ZL1s had no specific badging or unique look. But do you think the many '69 ZL1 clones devalue the originals? I am genuinely curious.

(Oh, I don't have a ZL1. Yet. I pick it up Saturday! )

The idea of a 69 doesn't bother me, because it's not a current model.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #81
kinpin
618 RWHP

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
I find myself annoyed at the fact that non-ZL1 Camaros can make their car look just like a real ZL1. I feel like we paid up for a ZL1 and there should not be any fakes driving around. Now I'm not saying the ZL1 is an exotic, but it is certainly an upper echelon sports car. I don't like that GM sells these parts that dilute the semi-exclusivity of the ZL1.

When I had my BMW M3's BMW used to protect the M cars by not selling M equipment to non-M owners. I know they have since changed this policy, selling "M-Sport" items. When I had my Pontiac Firehawk, SLP would not sell their upgrades or graphics to non-Firehawk owners, as you had to give them your VIN and car #.

Am I just a baby, or does anyone else get annoyed at the ease at which someone could counterfeit our car?

On the other end, I would be embarrassed to make my car appear to be something it is not. I would never try to pass my car off as a Z/28, now that it is considered the top dog in the Camaro line. It just brings back memories of the 80's when 4-cylinder Mustang owners would put 5.0 badges on their cars.

This post is not meant to piss anyone off who bought ZL1 parts for their already potent SS cars.
I don't mind as long as they don't put a ZL1 emblem on there car . If someone want there Camaro to look like a ZL1 i take it as flattery . But if you they put the ZL1 emblem on there car that is crossing the line
Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #82
GNHUNTN

Drives: 2014 SW ZL1
There is always going to be clones, I have a 94 Toyota Supra Twin turbo and for awhile all the talk on the Supra forum was how to modify a non turbo auto. Vendors started putting out packages for engine and transmission swaps. By the time these parts are added plus the original cost paid for the car they could have bought the Twin Turbo model. Now if both owners were to sell their cars the original Supra Twin Turbo will fetch at least 10k more. Now as for mods we all know to well you will never get close to what you put in for the mods.
When I started really looking into the purchase of my Camaro I was going to go with the 2SS/RS 1LE package, I was taking my time to search and trying to take in as much knowledge as I could from this forum. I found a COTW by SUKXOST and what he was doing for upgrades/mods was exactly what I had in mind. Then I found a ZL1 that was going to cost me about 10k over what a 2SS/RS 1LE would. I made a post in the ZL1 and the 1LE section to get the input from the community(I got about 5 to 1 more responses from the 1LE owners) and to my surprise it was the members of the 1LE section that told me I should get a ZL1 not because it was the best, but they informed me the block and drive train were stronger, the cost of going with the ZL1 would be about the same once the supercharger was added to the 1LE and I would have a warranty, I am very thankful for their honest input.
I do plan on adding the vinyl wrap to my hood, rear spoiler and painting the brake calipers. So in some ways I may be coping the 1LE but it is the look I wanted from the start of my search. But I do draw the line at badging.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #83
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Good question, one of my planned builds is a 69 Camaro with a modern ZL1 driveline, in that case I think I would be safe in badging it a ZL1. Opinions?

if you can out-do this, I will be impressed:
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...-s-Change-quot

And frankly, If I could own that . . . damn. That's sweet.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #84
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
if you can out-do this, I will be impressed:
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...-s-Change-quot
There is another one posted somewhere here withe the modern hood. That is the idea though.

Closed Thread