Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
setting TQ wrench

OK, this is me probably being anal, but I'm not sure which setting to use on my torque wrench. When I set it to a certain TQ, 25 ft-lbs for example, the line is not quite level with the part that twists (see first pic). If I twist it all the way around again so '0' lines up with '25', it looks like the 2nd pic.

I'm thinking if I want 25, or whatever number, I should set it like in the first pic. Do you guys agree? I have another wrench that is probably a bit higher quality, and it lines up perfectly. I just want to make sure I'm not over/under torquing things.

Thanks
Attached Images

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
For all the applications on a car requiring a torque setting, you will be fine with either picture. The only way to satisfy your concern would be to get a digital torque wrench. But then you will have to deal with one or two decimal places.....lol.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
My guess: First pic is 25 pounds, Second pic is 30 pounds.

It should take 1 full rotation to get to the "40" mark.

You should be able to call a machine shop and see what they would charge to test it. With a vice and a 50 pound weight you might be able to test at home. I have a friend who does quality control at a air force base. When I was building my stroker ford motor, she told me she would test it for me.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Get an old school beam style from Sears and forget about the clickers or the digitals. No calibration required. You can also measure break-away torque on tear downs with a beam type. You can't do that with a clicker. A torque wrench needs to be accurate and dependable - no need to be sexy. If it isn't dependable and accurate, you can (and will) trash parts. JMO

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
OK, this is me probably being anal, but I'm not sure which setting to use on my torque wrench. When I set it to a certain TQ, 25 ft-lbs for example, the line is not quite level with the part that twists (see first pic). If I twist it all the way around again so '0' lines up with '25', it looks like the 2nd pic.

I'm thinking if I want 25, or whatever number, I should set it like in the first pic. Do you guys agree? I have another wrench that is probably a bit higher quality, and it lines up perfectly. I just want to make sure I'm not over/under torquing things.

Thanks
Use your higher quality one to compare. Use a lug nut on one of your wheels. Torque it to say 55 with your good wrench and then experiment with the one in the pics and sneek up on it to 55 and see what is what. Then don't forget to set your lug nut to what it's suppose to be, 110 I believe.