Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
camaro eth eth

Drives: red
cammed issues

I have a 2010 ls3 I dropped a btr stage 4 cam in last year with all btr supporting mods (.660springs, 7.400 pushrods). car was tuned and running great for about 1k miles (485/478). the car then developed the infamous lifter tick. it would be loud at idle but when moving and higher in rpm it would fade away. I drove the car like that for about 2k more miles because it was running fine. no power lose or anything. I was even driving it in negative degree weather. I just recently took it apart and inspected everything and to an extent its not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. lifters look fine, valves look fine but the cam not so much. what could have been the issue as to why it was making the noise. it almost looks like the piston was never being hit. and yes I inspected all springs they are not broke. any help would be great because I'm lost https://youtu.be/bYE3ESgAQTM
Attached Images

camaro eth eth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
where you plannin on pulling the cam? hard to tell with those pics...what do the P/R's look like? and a pic of the head top cyl 7 springs/rockers(stock rocker?) those shiny spots are odd indeed...

and a spring does not necessarily have to look broken if it prematurely "failed"..any "hit the wall" scenarios...

update...lol just watched the vid....WTF!?!?! that does not sound like lifter tick! unless I'm hearing things(in my old age it IS a possibility!) that sounds more like a knock...as in bottom end knock...I sure hope not...what was/is the cars mileage?
Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
camaro eth eth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
where you plannin on pulling the cam? hard to tell with those pics...what do the P/R's look like? and a pic of the head top cyl 7 springs/rockers(stock rocker?) those shiny spots are odd indeed...

and a spring does not necessarily have to look broken if it prematurely "failed"..any "hit the wall" scenarios...

update...lol just watched the vid....WTF!?!?! that does not sound like lifter tick! unless I'm hearing things(in my old age it IS a possibility!) that sounds more like a knock...as in bottom end knock...I sure hope not...what was/is the cars mileage?
25k miles only a little over 2k miles on cam. I feel if it was a bottom end knock it would have gave way by now or severe power loose with over 1k miles since the sound started. the sound distinctly sounds like its coming from the head in person
Old 01-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
camaro eth eth

pics of cam out of car coming I forgot to grab some the other day when I pulled it out
Old 01-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
well if the valves did kiss the piston something is goin on...are the rockers stock?
Old 01-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
camaro eth eth

pics of cam
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
camaro eth eth

stock rockers as well I'm sorry
Old 01-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Yeah if that is lifter tick, it's the loudest lifter tick I've ever heard! But the pitting on that cam may do it. Never heard a cam going bad in person to know for sure. Either way, yikes!

Is that cam a comp core?
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #9
camaro eth eth

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Yeah if that is lifter tick, it's the loudest lifter tick I've ever heard! But the pitting on that cam may do it. Never heard a cam going bad in person to know for sure. Either way, yikes!

Is that cam a comp core?
yes all btr cams are comp core. idk how the lifters can look that good but the cam look the opposite
Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
go_go_gadget88

Bo white just had a cam that came out and looked kinda like that. His lifters seemed fine thou. No mention of any excessive lifter noise that I remember reading

Do pistons look dented at all like the valves kissed it? I can't tell from pics
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
Old 01-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
camaro eth eth

Quote:
Bo white just had a cam that came out and looked kinda like that. His lifters seemed fine thou. No mention of any excessive lifter noise that I remember reading

Do pistons look dented at all like the valves kissed it? I can't tell from pics
just the slightest little nick in it that's all
Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
go_go_gadget88

I mean, any nick is bad. Does the piston that has the nick correlate to the same lobe on cam with issues?

If they hit, it could have bent the valve and maybe that was making noise? Kind of a shot in the dark but I'd pull valves for that cylinder and see how it looks. Wouldn't have to be off much to cause issues
Old 01-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #13
camaro eth eth

Quote:
I mean, any nick is bad. Does the piston that has the nick correlate to the same lobe on cam with issues?

If they hit, it could have bent the valve and maybe that was making noise? Kind of a shot in the dark but I'd pull valves for that cylinder and see how it looks. Wouldn't have to be off much to cause issues
I pulled the valves and they look fine not bent or anything from what I can see
Old 01-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #14
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro eth eth View Post
I pulled the valves and they look fine not bent or anything from what I can see
Did you measure them? Do you have the tools to check for runout? I've bent 2 valves and replaced a head with several more bent valves after my car was stolen. I never saw anything wrong, but they were certainly bent and did not seal.